A Cost Effective Way to Bring Down Water Temperature
  • hsleehslee January 2012
    I was at AKA Koi today and surprisingly saw the new system that Aaron has installed. So far this is a cheapest and most effictive way that i have ever seen to bring down the water temperature beside having Chiller. According to Aaron, the temperature of this pond was at about ~29C - 30C before the system was installed, and now he is able to bring it down to ~25C - 26C, and is pretty impressive !! He has done some experiments to get the correct size of all the tiny holes and also the arrangement in order for the system to achieve the optimal result.

This system will also increase the aeration of the pond, Aaron has tested it for almost two weeks and now all the koi has become more active and color has also improved, so.... I'm going to test it out in my pond very soon. For those who are interested, you could buy some ready make unit from AKA koi.

The only possible setback that i could think of is that the holes will easily be blocked if the diameter is too small and regular cleaning might be required, otherwise.....is a good system and no harm giving it a try.

http://www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/5596/Sungai%20Buloh-20120115-00201.jpg
    http://www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/5592/IMG-20120115-00197.jpg
    http://www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/5593/Sungai%20Buloh-20120115-00198.jpg
    http://www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/5594/Sungai%20Buloh-20120115-00199.jpg
    http://www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/5595/Sungai%20Buloh-20120115-00200.jpg
  • JamesJames January 2012
    Hi HS, the key to this is to have a high flow rate and since this is also pumping water from the clean chamber, it is unlikely to get stuck. I have this in my QT and I have never seen it stuck..
  • ashfaqashfaq January 2012
    Post edited by ashfaq at 2012-01-16 05:24:56 pm
    Thanks,
    Ashfaq from India-Chennai
  • KoiBeginnerKoiBeginner January 2012
    Impressive.
    James, how effective is this system in your QT ?
  • ShukriShukri January 2012
    My only reservation is....... there goes the estatic value of your pond and the surrounding landscape........
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • ChengAunChengAun January 2012
    Uncle Shukri, bakki shower pun tak cantik :P
    Be updated in the world of koi. Jangankan seperti "Koi di bawah bottom drain"
  • ShukriShukri January 2012
    CA, I do not have a Bakki Shower in my system....... :-D
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
    Bro HS, koi shiroji is v good from my QT. Bro Shukri, the pipes do not have to stand upright.
  • pslongpslong January 2012
    James, did you manage to do a before and after water temp comparison?
  • vinsonchuavinsonchua January 2012
    Great design...too bad i can't apply to my pond. My friendly next door will feedback on the high dB.
    Bro Sean, no before after. Just a in my qt and in someone else's pond...
  • DanleeDanlee January 2012
    Bros,

This is how mine looks like.

koianswers.com/discussion/download/5601/Shower.jpg

I used to install them vertically but the water was shooting further and everywhere after a while when the hole got filled up with dirt.

I can get temperature down to 27 degree duing this hot spell without chiller with this simple set up. Worth considering.....
    Attachments
    Shower.jpg 112K
  • ChengAunChengAun January 2012
    Ok, time to go to the hardware store....AGAIN :D
    Be updated in the world of koi. Jangankan seperti "Koi di bawah bottom drain"
  • ashfaqashfaq January 2012
    Nice Idea brother, i will also applies the same, thanks for the good Idea :)
    Thanks,
    Ashfaq from India-Chennai
    Thanks for all the ideas from everybody. Ya, we always need to find a balance point among the efficiency, cost and also the outlook of our system.

Aaron has also tested out the result by installing the pipe horizontally, but the result was not as good as vertical type, it only manage to bring down the temperature by 2C. I think the key to this design other then the high flow as Bro James pointed out, the result is directly related to the duration of time the water stream stays in the air, the longer it stays the more heat dissipation it will have, and the smaller the stream with more opening of holes, the more area of contact of water with the surrounding cold air. But of course, i personally also think that the horizontal type looks better.
  • DanleeDanlee January 2012
    Bro HS,

I agreed with you. I suspect the height and the hole size has a lot of influence on the effectiveness of this system. Credit needs to given to Bro Raymond Hew who was the "inventor" of this system.
    Post edited by Danlee at 2012-01-19 07:06:20 pm
  • %5BDeleted+User%5D[Deleted User] January 2012
    impressive...it's like a spray bar in an aquarium with small holes... :)
  • KaajKaaj January 2012
    Bro Dan,
    Is this running on a seperate pump or have you re-routed one of the pipe outlets from your waterfall?
  • koi888koi888 January 2012
    I wonder if the PVC pipe change to steel pipe it would more effective...?????
    I think steel pipe is not that great an idea. Too good a conductor also causes the water to warm up when the surrounding temp is high. Running this from a separate pump or from an existing water return should be fine except you will have to watch the water levels as the holes do slow down the flow rate compared to just an open pipe.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership