Tategoi or Tate..SHIT..aaaa
  • JamesJames January 2012
    This has been an old topic as far as many can remember and like the sexing of kois remain mysterious to many of us. But for some of us who are a little more adventurous, we have pondful of these kois. And the extent of hopefuls turning out well varies quite dramatically. Attached is a Showa from Dainichi in my pond for 8 months now and there is still no clear indication if it will be a beautiful piece. Female confirmed but may perpetuate itself to be a tategoi. And for the less patient, tateSHITa.

I once heard from an experienced hobbyist, the longer u have to wait, the better it will turn out to be. I was also taught early in this hobby that for a Showa, sumi will definitely appear. And in some ponds they tend to finish faster and better. But for the benefit of learning (again) let's share some examples for discussion.
  • SRathaSRatha January 2012
    Brother James,
    At first glance it looks to me like a Kohaku, from the video I cannot tell whether it is a showa or a sanke. I am in no way to give valuable opinions but I think it will be a wonderful piece by the looks of things. Definitely a keeper of you can wait :-)

Ratha
  • ChengAunChengAun January 2012
    Uncle James, I'm not an expert, but I think since it is under your care, it might have potential. The hi pattern is quite nice in my opinion so either the sumi develops or dissapears it may be a Showa or a kohaku....:)
    Be updated in the world of koi. Jangankan seperti "Koi di bawah bottom drain"
  • KekwaKekwa January 2012
    Indeed a very interesting koi to see its development. This piece might be a showa from Kohaku oyagois, which may explain the traits of a Kohaku so strong on her. I really like her Hi pattern formation.
    When I bought this piece it had some sumi markings on the head and was extremely light and deep in the head. That was about the only marking and I deemed it a showa. As it is turning out, some sumi has appeared on the right shoulder and tail area. But still needs plenty of development.

Little CA, your confidence gives me a lot of pressure. :-( I like the kohaku pattern on it too.

Bro Ratha, Kekwa, this piece I will keep until the sumi emerges and if the pattern ends up so-so, it will be rehomed. :-)) For some funny reason that I didn't realise, my Showa purchase are usually far from finished.

Luckily this piece is growing and body is building up nicely. Not aggressive eater but eats. She behaves like a lady keeping to a good body.
  • ikankoikauikankoikau January 2012
    Bro James,
    This Showa has good long Kohaku pattern. But Showa pattern is easy to get "disturbed" by the appearing sumi. If any instance during tossai, you can see the underlying sumi, this sumi should come out in future.

That's why Showa is always interesting to watch. Showa too has the highest chance compare to other gosanke which breeders might miss as tetagoi. Hopefully yours is one of the missed tetagoi. [-O<
    Post edited by ikankoikau at 2012-01-27 12:25:07 am
    Capt, totally agree with you. I think as long as the sumi is balanced, this piece will be quite good given the strong kohaku pattern. Unfortunately I have also got to agree that getting the sumi just right is always the impossible task. Given we cannot perform surgery on sumi, how this piece turns out will be dependent on itself and nothing else.
  • wongyengwongyeng February 2012
    I read in an article about the "ugly duckling" effect... but wait for 5-6 years before the duckling blossoms !
  • JamesJames February 2012
    Bro Wongyeng, would u wait? And if you would, what would u feel if it turned out to not be the swan? I am of the opinion that we must have something in the pond to keep surprising us to keep the interest of looking into the pond alive. Or else at some point in time, interest does get lost!!
  • ripclawzripclawz February 2012
    Bro James... I agree with u regarding having something in the pond that keeps changing n will
    surprise us... that does keep the interest going... kois with sumi are best for those purposes... the ever changing development of sumi never cease to fascinate koi keepers....showas, utsuris and sankes gives that surprise element....!
    Bro Ripclawz, here's another Tate..SHIT ..aaaa piece to many. Was placed in a discarded pond at a dealer's place for months and I was surprised to find it in that pond. I could not understand why this piece would end up in a discarded pond. Unless they saw what I could not see!!

koianswers.com/discussion/download/5759/photo.JPG

I picked it without hesitation, and when she was bought she measured 25cm. In my pond, she has been growing 1cm a week from October until now.
    Attachments
    photo.JPG 154K
  • ShukriShukri February 2012
    Wah! Bro James.......You have been bowling the koi once a week! By the time the koi hit 60cm or so, this koi will not be afraid of you anymore........ :-)) :-D
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
    Bro Shukri, this lady ate from my hand the moment i put her into the pond. But as it grows it is getting a little shy. Still eats from my hand but have to wait for her to come. Jual mahal now... :p
  • ripclawzripclawz February 2012
    Sharp eyes bro.... u mention bargain... that's the bonus.... win win situation..hehehe...jual mahal ok...if it turns out to be a beauty.... that'll be jackpot...hahaha... now the fun starts...waiting for the changes to transform her into a beauty...fingers crossed... :-D
  • ShukriShukri February 2012
    Bros,
    If you have that sharp eyes and know what to look for, you do not need to break the bank nor to have a deep pocket in order to acquire that winning kois.

As PROOF, I have two kois that I have won several times.......one that costed me RM100 and the other RM350. These two kois will win (with GOD willing) several more times in the future........

So this hobby is surely not only for the selected few with deep pockets. I am quite sure there are more examples similar to the ones that I have mentioned. But as a disclaimer, definitely we cannot dream to win major prices nor GCs with minnow priced kois...... :-D
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
    Bro Shukri, agree that GC or most of the champion prized kois are a money game rather than skill. And perhaps that is why I like to keep kois generally in the smaller sizes (or maybe because I have not been keeping kois long enough). This way you can get pretty decent show quality koi without burning too big a hole.

There have been champion kois recently that did not come with a huge price tag. In the recent Asia Koi Show, a Danichi showa originally from Elmen's collection claimed Adult Champion. In Wakagoi last year, a maruten kohaku also won Young Champion which did not cost the owner much. I think it is becoming more common for these more affordable kois to win grand prizes, given the extra gromming effort/skill put into them.

And don't we wish that our kois turn out that way?

Here's my second wishful showa:
  • tpsmaxwelltpsmaxwell February 2012
    Hi James,
    Your 2nd. kindai showa, im very sure it is the same one that u found from a discarded pond. Very nice koi and i hope it has turned out the way u wish it to come through. This is one of the reasons why koi keeping is so interesting. Please keep us updated on its development, thanks.
    Bro Maxwell, yes this piece could turn out good if the sumi can indeed develop well. If not, another SHIT..aaa...
  • ikankoikauikankoikau February 2012
    Bro James,
    Winner in the making!! (Y)
    Capt, that is a tall order man.... I am having less time to spend on kois, so she might have to do pretty much everything by herself... /:-)
  • megatronmegatron February 2012
    Bro James, bring over to my pond. I am sure I can bring up the sumi. I also have prettty of time for her. lol.
    Don't ask me why!!!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership