• tosaitosai October 2010
    Can I add new kois to my pond with some old kois immediately upon purchase? Do I need to quarantine the fishes? How do you quarantine new fishes?
  • ShukriShukri October 2010
    The answer is 'YES' you can, but it is highly not recommended. Why? Because if the new kois are diseased, your entire existing kois can be infected.

You should have a separate tank or facilities for quarantine purposes. You should quarantine the new kois for a week to a month on average depending on the situation. You can use salt, S1, anti Flukes, yellow powder etc for the quarantine purpose.
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • bibikoibibikoi October 2010
    yeah... definitely must quarantine... i had a huge disaster and my best fishes died because of that... NEVER EVER skip the quarantine process.. no matter how safe you feel it is... i learnt it the hard way.. and the nicest tancho showa i've ever seen died before my very eyes... ;(
  • AndySittAndySitt October 2010
    I always quarantine my fish... I mean when the new fish comes home.. I quarantine it together with the old fish.. ha ha..

So how do you guys quarantine.. I just place 0.3% salt and S1 solution ... But once I place them to the main pond the fish will somehow still flash.. So I put in 1gm of Methylene Blue for every ton (1000 liter) of water..
  • makutuhmakutuh October 2012
    how can i know if the fish can be transfered already from quarantine? and how can i know that the new fish is healthy or not
  • ikankoikauikankoikau October 2012
    Hi bro makutuh,
    Welcome to the forum. There are many ways to quarantine. Most hobbyist quarantine around one to two weeks. Within that quarantine period, medication and/or salt is added. So if there is no indication of any disease or unusual behaviour shown by the koi at the end of quarantine period, the koi can be considered healthy and safe to be transfered to the pond.

To know whether a new fish is healthy, you got to check it physically. Make sure It is not deform and there is no injury, ulcer, fin rot and etc. If possible watch closely how the koi swims and check for other kois' condition in the same pond as any disease might be affecting the others but may not present on the koi that you have picked yet. Look closely where two or more scales are missing as there could be internal or external problem with the koi. Single missing scale is quite common.

Hope this info helps.

Regards
  • makutuhmakutuh October 2012
    thanks a lot sifu ikankoikau
    Bro, I am not sifu la bro. Long way to go. I am just 3 years newbie:-)
    You're welcome.
  • kolampkolamp October 2012
    Should we put a companion in the QT? Sorry for newbie q's :)
    Yes we should bro, if possible. No such thing as newbie q bro :-)
    Thanks alot for ur prompt reply Capt!

Well I guess need to buy a pair then on my next purchase lol :p
  • SsmannSsmann October 2012
    Bro, ive asked this question before but never really got a response in the other Quarantine threads, so thought useful to ask here. If I have a small pond with say only 5 koi and i add 2 newbies that have been quarantined by a reputable dealer, can i just add them into the existing pond, and quarantine all the koi, ie for about a week add kenkona, dimilin and mazoten, kasi bunuh all the problem, if any for all the koi? I dont like S1 in my pond, as the stains take forever to go away la......

Thanks first :)
    Post edited by Ssmann at 2012-10-16 01:17:01 pm
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar October 2012
    Bro Ssmann,
    You can treat the whole pond if ur pond is small, but dont add all medication, follow qt procedure like fast whole pond at least 5 days before new addition and use only kenkona. Check the fish behaviour before next medication.
    But IMHO, I don't recommend this method. Some time, the decease spread faster than the medication can take effect and before u know, ur whole pond is already infected. Just my 2 cents.

Sifu's pls correct me if I'm wrong.
  • SsmannSsmann October 2012
    Bro TK, thanks! Yes, I do fast them almost 4 days now. Kenkona was added before the addition of the new kois. For extra precaution I also dosed one round of Dimilin and Mazoten. Tom, will be due for round 2 Kenkona and Dimilin to ensure all eggs etc kawtim. I do agree that this is not efficient and poses some risk, but given my travel schedule there is no one else at home who can monitor Q tank etc. The Mrs tried once and gave up as it took too much of her time and the maid, well, she has a tendency of "ooppppsss, maaf boss"....hehehehehehe

Once my Rancangan Perubahsuain Kolam Koi ke-10 is approved by HM, then I can start the full works automated pond for ease of maintenance and similar concept Q tank. Budget and plans pending approval. This hobby is beginning to cost me a fortune :-(( I should have just continued my involvement in MMS la, that Quarantine procedure I know how to play one....hahahahahaha
    Post edited by Ssmann at 2012-10-16 01:42:37 pm
    Bro, agree with you. When you travel a lot and hv a fish in QT, you would b restless. If your pond is ready before the new addition, just short bath the new addition using Kenkona before adding in the main pond. But again, the risk is always there.
    BroTK,
    Any reason why we have to fast the pond first before adding new fish? Is it to reduce organic content in water or any particular reason?
    Hi Bro,
    The idea for fasting is to reduce organic content, ammonia/nitrate/nitrite. When the organic content is low, it won't stress new koi and would give time for the new koi to adopt to the new environment.
    Moreover, if you hv QT, you would be using your main pond water to top up the QT. The main pond might hv a matured filtration which can cater ammonia/nitrate/nitrite. But the filtration in QT might not be matured enough to handle ammonia/nitrate/nitrite. By introducing ur main pond water which would hv ammonia/nitrate/nitrite due to feeding into QT, u would b further stressing the koi.

Just my 2 cents :-D
    Bro,
    There are many methods on quarantine procedure. Some even quarantine for almost a month. But it's true, our job routine will also dictate our quarantine procedure. But always quarantine your koi if possible. I travel a lot too. Cant really rely on my maid to look after the QT.

Bro kolamp,
    Some hobbyist fast their kois as preparation for applying medication for the new arrival. It depend what medication you apply. I start to fast only on the arrival day of the new koi and continue fasting until finished quarantine proc.

But most of the time I just carry out the short bath method with Kenkona(which I dont recommend. Full quarantine always the best). Only when the new arrival caused problem to the pond then only I will treat the whole pond. But please dont follow me. I dont have much time on my side.

Bro TK procedure is good. Master of all Q still bro Seng Choon ;-) So he should be the best person to comment in this topic.
    Thank you very much bro TK & capt. for your kind explaination....started fasting my koi from today onwards coz planning to jalan2 cari ikan this weekend lol :X
  • JemaeJemae August 2013
    Bro ikankoikau, if the fish come from the same pond, no need quarantine kot? ;-)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership