HDCu New Pond build
  • HDCuHDCu August 2012
    Bro Boykoi,

I already have 10 large kois swimming in my QT tank and three high quality jumbo tosai waiting at two dealers facilities until my pond is done. I expect my feed rate per day will be 250g per day already for regular feeding which will increase to 400 grams in less than a year while I am aiming for nitrate level of just 5 ppm, a TDS of 75 to 90ppm, ph at 7.0 to 7.4, KH at 50ppm, and temp at around 23 to 26C and daily cleaning time of less than 12 minutes per day and weekly cleaning time of less than 15 mins without any filtration interuption.
  • boykoiboykoi August 2012
    looks like your pond can more than ably take that feed rate or even more bro,thats based on your pond design.expect your pond and filter to be modified from time to time.as to my own experience,its a never ending tweeking and fine tuning when you build your own pond
  • SsmannSsmann August 2012
    Bro, very nice and so well thought out. Lotsa technical stuff here that a novice like me needs to get my head around....but it sure looks like a winner! Well done bro and wish you much joy with the new pond!
  • HDCuHDCu August 2012
    Heres are some update pictures of the newly completed pond. Only missing are the fans for the FATS and some bonsais

Photobucket

Photobucket
    Post edited by HDCu at 2012-08-26 10:29:24 am
  • HDCuHDCu September 2012
    Heres new video update of the pond.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jzxthplWH8I
  • smokersmoker September 2012
    Bro HDCu, nice setup ! very neat, very well planned. Nice kois and looks like more are on the way. Congrats Bro, wish you enjoy the pond with living jeweleries !
  • niveknivek September 2012
    Nice one bro HDCu. Lots of space for more kois :)
    Thanks. I have four high quality tosais still at two dealers facilities while I am culling four of my male kois left at the QT tank.

The fishless cycle went without any hiccup and so far I have not seen any abnormal behavior on the new pond residents. Ammonia and nitrite are still at zero while nitrate is just 10 ppm.
  • wyinwyin September 2012
    Hi HDCu,

Very neat. There seem to be a black PVC pipe circling the surface of the pond, any specific function of this pipe? Very calm and clean surface, do you have air curtain and surface skimmer installed?

Regards,
    Wei Yin
    Post edited by wyin at 2012-09-27 02:40:07 pm
    Bro Wyin,

There are three air curtains positioned on three sides of the pond pumping out 220 liters per minute of air. There is also a bakki shower The black pvc pipe makes the surface water very calm increasing the visibility despitethe strong aeration. It just floats on the surface of the water. I have one surface skimmer made from two plastic 6inch diameter plant pot. connected on a 4 inch pvc pipe that helps skim also any oily surface.
    Post edited by HDCu at 2012-09-27 02:38:25 pm
  • wyinwyin September 2012
    Hi HDCu,

I see the air curtains now. Lots of air with bakki shower, I guess your pond must be saturated with O2. I understand from some bros that air blowers do increase the temperature of the pond. Are you facing similar problem or you have found ways to overcome this issue?

Regards,
    Wei Yin
  • harry_luhurharry_luhur September 2012
    Good job
    Regards,

Harry Luhur
    Bro wyin,

All my air blowers are cooled with fan to prevent them from heating and to allow it to suck in cool air. Pond temp now ranges from 27 to 28 but as soon as I install the fans on the bakki shower, I expect the pond water temp to go down.
    Post edited by HDCu at 2012-09-27 03:56:51 pm
  • grinkz01grinkz01 September 2012
    bro hdcu.nice pond and clever trick to keep water surface calm.:-)

1) by installing black pvc on its surface, how the surface skimmer works?I assume u must fed ur koi in the center part of pond right?

2) luv ur kohaku...how big is she?
    3) what is ur pond length x width (excude filter)
    4) pls update the topview of ur filter chamber.
    thanks
  • grinkz01grinkz01 September 2012
    double post, sorry
    Post edited by grinkz01 at 2012-09-27 06:49:55 pm
    Bro grinkz01,

1. The black pipe has an entrance to the middle at the opposite side of the skimmer. The dirt go around the sides. This way the food put in the middle does not go directly to the skimmer
    2. There are four kohakus right now in the pond. The two step big and with girth won the best kohaku variety and the 5 step won the wakagoi trophy here in Philippine koi show early this year.The two step I think is now at 59 to 60cm while the five step is at around 54 to 55 cm.
    3. pond size is 3 x 4 x 1.75m
    4. will post picture of filter in the morning.
  • mangkellmangkell September 2012
    Wow Bro HDCu,

30ton of water for 6 future Jumbos..... :O

That's called a Luxury... Say no to Overstock... :-bd

Hopefully your FATS will help U to get a FAT & healthy jumbos...

Byway, how far r U from the great Pinatubo Mountain....
    Saw a National Geographic documentary on Ultimate Disaster....
    Pls protect yr koi from the hot Lava.... X_X

But cold Lava rock are good for kois... :-D
    Post edited by mangkell at 2012-09-28 12:07:04 am
    Mickeyko Ducati-Kujamon Chagreemon Brabus#Sexy-Robust
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar September 2012
    Looking gud bro, good job done... (Y)

Would copy few concept for my future pond, hope you don't mind bro :-D
    Bro Mangkell,

Mt Pinatubo is like 180km from my house. However, I remember when it exploded the cars in the city were covered with lots of ash. I hope there is no repeat or else lots of kois in the city will perish.

Anyway, its not really my priority to push the kois to become jumbo in the next few years. I want very good water parameters and water quality always and to appreciate quality gosanke kois swimming healthy. If they reach jumbo then it would be bonus.

Bro Bthineshkumar,

Thanks. Some of the concepts I employed in my pond are also what I learned in many koi forums including koianswers.com.
    Post edited by HDCu at 2012-09-28 12:42:38 am
    just sharing my latest aquisition to my pond. :p

Any comments? hehe.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1vGJmjxa8wg

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership