HDCu New Pond build
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar September 2012
    Is my eyes playing tricks or is that a TURTLE!!!!!

Can they get along with Koi?
  • HDCuHDCu September 2012
    Its an albino chinese softshell turtle that is trained to eat floating pellets according to dealer. Its very visible in a black pond and entertaining to see it swim. Its a slow growing small turtle and would probably outlast the kois.

After putting it in, Im now thinking whether to remove the turtle from the pond. Not because it bothers the kois or the kois bother it but it seems to sometimes hide under the bottom drain concrete cover. I am afraid that It will get flush into the settlement chamber or gets stuck inside the four inch pipe.

:-?
  • AlvinAlvin September 2012
    It's best not put in the pond together with koi. I have a pig nose turtle ( about 8 inch from head to tail) and it eat floating pellet food. There is one occasion where it bite off one of my koi tail.
  • mangkellmangkell September 2012
    Agreed... Turtle can harm your koi.... Any possible danger.... Take it out.... X(
    Mickeyko Ducati-Kujamon Chagreemon Brabus#Sexy-Robust
  • MikeMike September 2012
    Alvin, you sure save some of my koi tail.
    I am about to put my pig nosed turtle into my main pond from its aquarium when I see HDCu vdo. I think its best to separate them eh.
  • AlvinAlvin September 2012
    Mike,
    Turtle is a no no [-X . Well, It does look nice from top view. In the end, I sold off my turtle last month.
  • HDCuHDCu September 2012
    I have returned the albino softshell today to the dealer. Oh well, it only stayed for a day in the pond.. ;-)
  • NeliNeli October 2012
    Bro Teacher,
    With lap top problems, this is the time I have come to see your build again...starting from page two...missed a lot...and I love your thread and pond...
    Since there are so many pages...bear with me...I suspect might be lots of questions...
    First of all I would like to congratulate U on such a neat work...and well built and designed pond!
    U should be very proud! I would be if I manage to achieve such a level of excellence.
    I am so tired of my builders and their sloppy work...but seeing your pond....I got inspired again to strive for excellence...I was a bit down...frustrated...but now...I am going to try again for better results.
    I never saw your flower bed....can U believe it? And in the spur of the moment...did something very similar...u must have sent it to me telepathically.
    I just wish I saw how U did the filters...instead of up and down...left and right flow...does it mean that U have to drain all the filters at ones?
    I made mine up and down...I guess it will be OK???
    Q:
    How will u manage to clean the filters without interapting the filtration?

U said U want to make a contraption to clean the filters with jet spray...I left one exit from the pump with a valve...plan to put a reducer and use it for cleaning the floor of the filters...since I have two parallel filters for each pump...I can have flow in the pump while cleaning individual chambers...
    Do U have any better ideas?

Bro Harry said he uses bacillus type bacteria...is it lactobacillus type...???? I have a friend in the UK, veteran Koi breeder...35 years....he puts yogurt for the same purpose ones a week in his filters...I spoke in Japan to few breeders...asked them about yogurt...
    They told me they put it in the food but for their special Koi only and in the pond...and they said it is very good.
    Since I have started giving yogurt in the food of my Koi...I am very happy....no health issues what so ever...and they love it.

If I need to put UV lights...I never put them in the old pond...they are brand new in the box one year now...I will put them suspended over the water like the Japanese breeders...not in pipes...they work better that way.

Is the shower the only return to your pond, or U have some more?

How does the black PVC pipe that floats keep the surface calm? I did not understand that one.
    Maybe U can explain it for a dummy?

Post edited by Neli at 2012-10-01 06:52:53 pm
  • HDCuHDCu October 2012
    Hi Sis Neli,

"How will u manage to clean the filters without interapting the filtration? "
    There are basically two filter system in tandem. Whenever I clean one, I dont even need to shut down the pump. First I put back the standpipe to stop the water from bottom drain and the side drain/surface skimmer. As the water in the filter goes down, I pull out the drain pipe. This creates a very strong backwash that drains the water in the whole chamber(settlement and biochamber) in less than 30 secs. As the water level goes down, the external pump automatically cuts off preventing any damage to the pump. As the water in the filter are drained, i put back the standpipe drain to block the the drain. I then pull out the two pipe and water from the pond rushes back to the filter chamber in less than 30 secs. The external pump then automatically activates and then I close the filter cover. The whole process takes me just 5 to 10 minutes a day.

With regards to the spray, I dont need it anymore. The filters daily cleaning does the job well enough.

Miracle animal has lactobacillus bacteria.

I can manipulate the return either thru showers or middle pond return clockwise or counterclockwise or combination.

The black pvc pipe acts as a wave and bubble diffuser making the surface much calmer and the view much better without affecting the aeration on the pond. You can see some of the pictures where there is no surface floating pipe. I prefer the calm water. You can try it.

My pond has no UV whatsoever and the clarity is still superb. I attribute this to the filtration.

• NeliNeli October 2012
    Thanks Bro,
    Your air hose is around the wall??? So the pipe prevents the bubbles from going to the center of the pond...??? What about the BD bubles? Do I put a ring on top of the water?
    I am having more or less the same system with the stand pipes...plus the airlifts on the other BD pipe...
    Need to make a huge BD cover from concrete...he he he!
    Post edited by Neli at 2012-10-02 01:53:11 pm
  • HDCuHDCu October 2012
    Yes. the airhoses are located on the sides and the pipe prevent the bubbles from going to the center. There are no air diffuser on top of the bottom drain. With this setup. Ive noticed that as soon as the koi release waste while swimming, it sinks slowly and gets suck by the bottom drain. If I put the diffuser on top of the bottom drain, the waste will circulate longer in the pond and may even disintegrate.

I had been warned that airhose gets blocked easily but so far Ive not notice any output difference. Most probably as not much dirt or algae accumulates on the pond and the air released per airhose is pretty strong.

Also, I checked my total dissolve solids and im registering just 65 tds with ph of 7.2.

• harry_luhurharry_luhur October 2012
    TDS 65 is good, but can rise due to dilluted mineral from koi food, but still manageable under 100ppm. pH 7,2 is a normal for now, but after sometimes with acid produce from bio bacteria, it can lower from now. But all desirable, just alter later if needed. Good job bro
    Regards,

Harry Luhur
  • HDCuHDCu October 2012
    Bro Harry,

I would like to ask what would be the level of phospate ppm to keep the water from turning to that slight yellowish tint? Aside from water change, use of O3,, is there any cheap chemical to remove phosphate?
    Post edited by HDCu at 2012-10-02 06:00:40 pm
  • harry_luhurharry_luhur October 2012
    Bro HDCu,

we rarely measure phospate level in pond. 1 ppm may induce algae, 2 ppm will make algae flourish. Phospate level is not an issue for well maintain pond, so i think it wouldn't cause any problem in your pond. Phosphate usually added to fish food and it is the source of phospate in our pond. I also encounter many water source is contain phosphate (from lab report). Well aerated and circulated pond also help to prevent phosphate build up.
    Regards,

Harry Luhur
  • HDCuHDCu November 2012
    Heres my update on my FATS(Fan assisted trickle shower)

Installed four IP 56 fans. Temperature reading dropped from 27.4 to 26.2. If I close the fans in the morning the temperature goes up again to 27.4. Temperature reading now at 25.9 after running for a week. Temperature pretty stable. Outside temperature range from 32 to 24(at midnight till early mornng) with sunny weather for the week.

Appetite of the kois improved and they are more active than before.

[IMG]http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u499/sacicu/283e0544444d5c1b7a8280d3df88fd65.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u499/sacicu/023453077ec057c05983165b12de89f5.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u499/sacicu/efb31a5f3145c69ea52ea6fecaee22c4.jpg[/IMG]
    Post edited by HDCu at 2012-11-17 07:15:39 am
  • mangkellmangkell November 2012
    FINALLY..... The FATS™ is cooking.... HeHeHe... :-D

Bravoooo...... I can see some good result there....

25.9C haa.... Same as THOR-DHOX™ :-t maintain around 26C last time.... >:D<

When are U going full swing? Got 12fans right?
  • ashfaqashfaq November 2012
    Looks brother
    Thanks,
    Ashfaq from India-Chennai
  • mangkellmangkell November 2012
    Didn't anybody tell U that my CastleMilia pond is Finally not leaking anymore from tonight..?? :-"
  • harry_luhurharry_luhur November 2012
    Bro HDCU,

So many foam on water surface?
    Regards,

Harry Luhur
  • HDCuHDCu November 2012
    Bro Harry,

The pond was recently salted as I added a new fish that was already quarantined for a week in the quarantine tank. But two days after introduce to main pond, all kois parked and I had to resalt the pond and put some stress coat. Next day, All the kois were fine already.

Now I am administering masoten after finding two argulus in one of the kohaku.

This hobby is indeed challenging.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership