Danger of swimming with small kois...enjoy!
  • HDCuHDCu July 2012
    Tamluk, June 22, 2012

A koi fish was stuck alive and wriggling in the throat of a man in Khejuri for about four hours before being cut into pieces and fished out by doctors.

Mithun Mondal was catching fish with his towel when he caught the koi ' known for its hard needle-like pectoral fins ' and held its head between his teeth while catching another yesterday afternoon. The koi, which was thrashing about, accidentally entered his throat and got stuck in his windpipe.

Profusely bleeding from his throat and the four-inch koi still wriggling inside the windpipe, Mithun was taken to a local physician, who immediately referred him to the Tamluk district hospital.

Mithun was admitted to the Tamluk hospital around 6pm.

"We realised an emergency surgery would have to be carried out. We have tackled erasers, pen caps and fish bones stuck inside throats. But a whole fish stuck inside the respiratory passage is rare. By the time Mithun arrived at the hospital, the fish was dead though," ENT surgeon Rosamoy Sarkar said.

Sarkar had initially tried to pull the fish out with his hands.

"The patient was finding it difficult to breathe and his life was threatened. The patient was made unconscious. Anaesthetist Amalesh Pal and I first tried to pull the fish out but the fins were deeply embedded inside the respiratory passage and we decided against it. Then I cut the fish into small pieces and removed it from the windpipe," the surgeon said.

Mithun was released from hospital this morning.

The pectoral fins of the koi, another doctor said, becomes needle-like when irritated as part of its defence mechanism. If one is not careful, the fins can pierce the skin.

The farm labourer, who said he was still under pain and his voice hoarse, narrated the incident over phone.
    Mithun's wife Khuku said his husband was still suffering from excruciating pain. "But the doctor said that the wound will heal."
  • mangkellmangkell July 2012
    Bro HDCu,

The moral is, don't eat your kois...HeHeHe :-D

& Shusuimon 76cm won't fit inside my mouth. So no danger to swim for me KeKe :-)) Tq
    Mickeyko Ducati-Kujamon Chagreemon Brabus#Sexy-Robust
  • ShukriShukri July 2012
    Bro Mangkell,
    You sure ka? :-)) :-D
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • SRathaSRatha July 2012
    wow... curious to how big the koi was...
  • gerrygerry July 2012
    I've read this story before but it wE a different river fish... Not a koi....
  • ChengAunChengAun July 2012
    This sounds more like the story of the puyu that went down a windpipe. Never knew kois pectoral fins got spike for defense?
    Be updated in the world of koi. Jangankan seperti "Koi di bawah bottom drain"
  • ShukriShukri July 2012
    CA,
    Let's see your latest pond and your kois swimming in it........
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
    @Shukri What latest pond?!
    Post edited by ChengAun at 2012-07-16 03:09:09 pm
  • ShukriShukri July 2012
    CA, after your renovation la........... :-D
    Uncle@Shukri, not really renovation la. Just water proofing, new electric circuit and added an overflow pipe. Size , depth still the same
  • ShukriShukri July 2012
    That's what I meant........at least to see you fishes swimming in a new setup........ :-D
    Uncle @Shukri , will try to take some photo/video ASAP. Currently facing NPS

(swear)
  • ShukriShukri July 2012
    CA, kita serupa........... :-)) :-)) :-D
    You pun ada Nps? I thought you said bead filter crystal clear water?
  • wongyengwongyeng July 2012
    :(

What a frightening thought !!
  • ShukriShukri July 2012
    Hi CA,
    When I installed a new filtration system, definitely there will be NPS. And clear water does not mean no NPS. But under control la...........
    My NPS is quite bad. The water in translucent :-)) but fishes are doing fine
  • ShukriShukri July 2012
    CA, just make sure that there is enough salt to buffer the spikes.......
    Post edited by Shukri at 2012-07-17 05:22:38 pm
  • mangkellmangkell July 2012
    For those with NPS, try unhide your TOR-X™, the shower might help you know? ;-) tq
    Mickeyko Ducati-Kujamon Chagreemon Brabus#Sexy-Robust

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

test