Varities of Koi Food
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar July 2012
    Hi Sifu's and Bro,

I would like to start this new thread regarding different varieties of Koi food other than regular Wheatgerm/Color/Growth pellets. Please put in your comments and suggestion. This would be very help full for newbie like me.
    Below are mine:
    1) Silkworm by Hikari as weekend snacks
    2) Once a week soak pellets in Fresh orange juice

As suggested in another thread
    3) Small live fish
    4) Blood worm

5) Thinking of adding this multivitamin once a week. Please advice
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/8268/IMG_0740.JPG

6) Planning to give this cereal with fruits. Both me and my koi can have breakfast together :-D. Is it OK??
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/8270/images.jpg

Other sifu's input please

Thanks and Regards,
    TK
  • RonnieRonnie July 2012
    live fish?
    Bro Ronnie,
    Yes, in another thread, we were discussion regarding Koi eating guppies and it is proven on this facts. So bro shukri suggested why not feed Koi with live fish which is high in protein..
    Your thought?
    TK
  • RonnieRonnie July 2012
    owh..am not that sure about live fish but i do heard of live worm to enhance their color.for me i never try all of those things before.very interesting topic.
  • mrkoimrkoi July 2012
    Live food is good but make sure it wont dirty your water. And you cannot feed too often or too much.
  • RonnieRonnie July 2012
    thanks for the info bro...
  • smokersmoker July 2012
    i always spray refresh clay in the pellets, let dry for half hour before begin feeding.
    last time i spray 8gr of terramycin in 1kg wg to feed for 14 days.

heard some hobbyist do soaking koi pellets in vitamin c, fish liver oil, any suggestion about this from sifus here?
  • ShukriShukri July 2012
    Some prefer to occasionally feed paste food e.g. like Izeki, Kusuri and fish meal.
    Also peas........
    Post edited by Shukri at 2012-07-20 06:30:27 pm
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • pandaipandai July 2012
    Shrimp, bread, barley... =P~
    Get Kenkona Koi and Kenkona Bio at special price online at http://kenkonakoi.blogspot.com/
  • gerrygerry July 2012
    Mealworms..... my kois go crazy for these.... :-D

Whole meal bread is another favourite....

Crickets also.... ;-)
  • ShukriShukri July 2012
    Yup! They love crickets.............
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • farikfarik July 2012
    Bro kumar,
    the live fish is not recommended simply because if you get them in your filter chamber that would be ok...but if you buy from fish shop and feed like arowana then you will be exposing your kois to whatever virus or bacteria that the small fishes are carrying...so i don't recommend it.the seven seas mvt is ok but provided that you soak and immediately let them have it if not these multivit syrup is easily oxidized....after opening the bottle make sure you put in the fridge.also it is sensitive to light....I'm sounding like a pharmacist...coz these multivits that are made for human consumption some are not suited for our lovely kois.they need stablized formulations....
  • ChengAunChengAun July 2012
    I feed mine with a variety including:
    Misaki WG
    Garlic
    Peas
    Corn
    Bread
    lettuce
    cabbage (Not really often though)

Post edited by ChengAun at 2012-07-20 09:26:00 pm
    Be updated in the world of koi. Jangankan seperti "Koi di bawah bottom drain"
  • SRathaSRatha July 2012
    sweet potato?
  • spencertanspencertan July 2012
    I do a daily feeding of such:
    Saki Hikari Growth Sinking [ Autofeeder ]
    Marubeni Floating pellets sprayed with PETFRAN Multivitamin, Miracle Animal and Vivakoi.
    I mix around pellets such as marubeni sinking & floating, hikari wheatgerm and saki hikari color. For sinking food, I add in Calcium Tablets together with the above sprayed and refresh powder. I also DIY my own paste food, with alot of high protein ingredients.
  • RyantRyant July 2012
    spencer,

what is the difference between miracle animal n vivakoi.
  • ShukriShukri July 2012
    Man! Compared to you guys, I am a novice when come to feeding.......

Garlic? The kois like them? CA, can you elaborate more........Your koi got no Dracula blood..............
  • ChengAunChengAun July 2012
    Yes, the koi seem to have a liking for garlic. Supposed to be good for the immune system too. Just shop into smaller pieces small enough to fit the kois mouth (Don't make it too small or dont pound it unless you make a paste out of it)
    Be updated in the world of koi. Jangankan seperti "Koi di bawah bottom drain"
    Wah.....so many varities huh... =P~
    Ok, let me do a menu here...
    Bro Farik, msg noted on the live fish and multivitamin....really sounds like pharmacist :-D
    Any idea on the cereal which I proposed??
    Menu for Koi

1) Silkworm by Hikari as weekend snacks
    2) Once a week soak pellets in Fresh orange juice
    3) Blood worm/Mealworms
    4) Soak multivitamin once a week and feed immediately
    5) spray refresh clay/bentonite clay in the pellets, let dry for half hour before begin feeding
    6) paste food (any recipe to be shared Bro Spencer or Bro Shukri?)
    7) Peas
    8) Shrimp,
    9) Bread/whole meal bread
    10) Barley
    11) Crickets
    12) Garlic (Chop into small pieces, but not too small)
    13) Corn
    14) lettuce
    15) cabbage (minimum)
    16) sweet potato (is this confirmed Bro Ratha?)
    17) sprayed Miracle Animal or Vivakoi
    18) add in Calcium Tablets together with pellets
    19) Wheatgerm (pellets)
    20) Colorfood (pellets)

Sifu's,
    Any more to be added to the menu?
    Is the above menu acceptable or any of those not recommended? Please advice...

TK
  • gerrygerry July 2012
    Oh yea..... fresh orange... cut into wedges like how we would eat them and throw into the pond....

By a few hours, you will find only the orange skin left.... :-D

It's good excercise for the kois as well as they push the oranges to the side of the pond walls to suck on the pulp! ;-)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership