Is it necessary to quarantine your new acquired KOIS?
  • ShukriShukri July 2012
    This has been debated since day one of the koi keeping hobby. I have been there, many have been there! Not quarantining the newly acquired kois that is.........During the initial period of the hobby, I too have gambled by not quarantining the kois, and guess what! Hurray, the kois were OK, no existing kois gotten sicked! I was just plain lucky that very few times. And then again, why should I quarantine right! Many people like me did the same anyway.........that was what I thought and I know many people thought the same as well..........And if they got sick, I have the medications anyway.....This was the Self Fulfilling prophecy that I have or many of us have.......

Then the inevitable happened, the kois parked, clamped fins and red veins...........Ah Huh! I put in the salt (they said put 0.3%). Didn't have the salt meter, so AGAK2.......however the kois health worsen, now I started to panic. I add S1 (just put it in.....how much? I don't really know! Just put it in........it looked green enough, so it should be OK! The kois didnt get better, some started flashing and some gulping at the pond surface........Now starting to press all panic buttons.....Ah huh! People say bomb the pond with PP! So I bought PP, and put the maroon medication in the pond. I was told to put in a pail first, and then into the pond. After half hour after putting the PP in the water, the fishes became skimmish! One has jumped out of the water, a few have leaped out of the water. And by this time I was clueless as what to do next........I was beyond the panicked state........I can't sleep at night, and really do not know what to do........I am so pressured and stressed out that I could not do anything but thinking what medication to put next since my kois are not well.......
    Guys, all these actually happened to me before.......and I bet the same happened to many of us when we first started. I have promised myself that I will not NOT QUARANTINE my new acquisitions ever, quarantining is a MUST!!!

To cut the story short, there is no substitute to quaranting new acquired fishes...........this is a must as we do not know what the new fishes bring? Parasites? or Bacteria? Fungus? Viruses? Or possibly combinations of these or worse, all of these??? By not quarantining, you are actually putting a TIME BOMB into your pond............

So do not give 101 excuses why you do not want or need to quarantine your new acquired kois, but rather give yourself 101 reasons WHY YOU SHOULD QUARANTINE your newly acquired kois. Please make all nights as pleasure sleeping nights.

• ythyth July 2012
    Bro shukiri,totally agreed,i lost 20 high end kois 2 years back when i put a newly acquired shiro to my pond,costly and painful experience,bro deen know my story for this :),quarantine,quaramtine,quarantine,never take it easy,its a must,if not,no one will know wat is the consequences..........
  • mangkellmangkell July 2012
    Dont worry Bro Shukri,

Now we got Kenkona, can Quarantine the whole pond with every new comers. HeHe :-D
    Mickeyko Ducati-Kujamon Chagreemon Brabus#Sexy-Robust
  • ShukriShukri July 2012
    I know Captain said to quarantine with Kenkona in the quarantine tank, but I do not believe as a sweeping statement he said to quarantine the new fishes together with the existing fishes in the pond.......The consequences is too great bro!

And Bro yth, can feel your pain..........ouch!!! Real painful indeed and sorry about the lost.....
    Belum kena belum tahu!!! Kalau dah kena baru tahu........Jadi kalau belum kena tu! Baik quarantine so that TAK KENA..............kalau tidak menangis tidak berlagu..........
    Crying without melody..........Oh my English!!!
    Post edited by Shukri at 2012-07-23 12:09:36 am
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • ythyth July 2012
    bro shukri,lepas kena,takut nak beli ikan baru:),you never know the kois didnt carry the deadly virus that every koi hobbyist takut,unfortunately, i kena once hahaha
  • ShukriShukri July 2012
    Touch wood! Are you refering to the KHV?...........God, please do not tell me........
    Is my suspicion correct?
    Post edited by Shukri at 2012-07-22 11:45:54 pm
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • ythyth July 2012
    almost wipe out,dealer call to our famaous breeder ask for remedial action,special medicine flight in,not working,local top dealer come to pond to help,also cant,the kois one by one die like nothing!nightmare,almost give up this hobby.........now,whenever buy kois.....ask for 21 days quarantine period,tak cukup lagi,individual koi quarantine 2 minggu lagi,balik rumah....salt kaw kaw cause if anything happened to my current collection that bro deen posted earlier,i have to say goodbye for this hobby forever...........haha
  • ShukriShukri July 2012
    Dear Koi Community,
    This is a Testimony given by someone who has gone through the pain of his top grade kois almost being wiped out. Reading this has given me the goose bumps!!! I surely would not want a similar situation to happen to me nor to the wonderful community here.

Remember the 21 days quarantine period by the Dealers, and to quarantine thoroughly when you bring the fishes back home...........

Bro thy, if I have not wish you before, a warm welcome to Koianswers Forum, thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing the episode with us here. I hope your expensive and painful lesson will be a stern reminder to all of us as not to take quarantining lightly.

Thank you once again bro.......

• ythyth July 2012
    Bro,thanks for your welcome,being the silent reader for the past few years,just decide come up to write after got some kicks haha,by the ways just to share more here,nowadays whenever I request the dealer to prolong the quarantine period they will say I am so takut mati,yes,I takut mati cause they never know wat so call koi mati...... Do you ever see a koi swim to front of you,Flip over and dying with slow breathing??do you?Do you feel that u don't wat step to the pond when you comeback from work?cause you don't know how many dead body you will net out?do you?no one will syampathy you!dont hope from compensation!no way!someone ask me send to upm to autopsy,I just ignored cause can't help!no one will responsible!do you see a survive koi with the tail fin all gone?body bengok!do you ever see ulcer,bgd,finrot,dropsy all disease happened at one go?bro,better don't go through this,I feel wat to cry from my heart at that time!pls avoid all this by doing quarantine!especially when you buy from small breeder,unfortunately I lost all my photos at my old phone,if not can post here to share,.,,,,,,thank you
  • ShukriShukri July 2012
    Thanks for sharing bro! :)
    Let all of us here learn from your expensive and heart out lesson......... (sweat)
  • smokersmoker July 2012
    Thanks for sharing Bro Shukri and Bro Yth,
    100% agree. To maintain this hobby, there's no short way. Quarantine for any new kois from any source, is a must.
    We might be ok for couple times, 10 times, or maybe 50 times, but when you get the lottery, it will probably make you give up this hobby.
  • harry_luhurharry_luhur July 2012
    Bro Shukri and others,

IMHO, there 2 case scenario, first fish already sick when you put in pond, second fish is healthy and been quarantine before. For first scenario, we understand why, but how about 2nd scenario???

Sometimes many hobbyist cannot tahan to buy fish, bring back and then directly put in pond. Sometimes it is ok, but sometimes it don't. I experience this many times because i do maintenance for cust ponds. Many cust bought fish andd put directly without even consulting with me because they did before and ok. Fish seem healthy, eat eagerly when cust buy it, after put it in, also start to swim and looking for food and seem nothing will happen, but it is happen.

Why this thing can happen? Many hobbyist will start to blame the dealer for selling sick fishes, this is possible, but we would not buy fish that don't move, fin clamp, have any sign of sickness, right? Then how this happen? IMHO it is because fish stress, with possibilities as follow :
    1. New fish stress during shipment and/or stress during introduce to new environment with different water parameters
    2. New fishes got bullied by older pond kois and stressed out
    3. Old fish got bully by new fish and stress out

As we know, our closed system pond contain A LOT of bacteria and pathogens, and i believe bro David also once post the total coliform from lab test. When fish stressed out, it is more susceptible to get sick, and most pathogens are opportunistic, it will attack and multiply very fast, and when it get too much, all the healthier fishes got affected too.

And when this happen, most hobbyist will start dumping anything inside their medicine cabinet, and this will make fish more stress. And checking every minutes will even make fishes more stress. Usually in this event (whether have new fish introduce or not) is to check water parameters, and if everything ok, then start to analyze the fished condition, what is the sign and symptoms, there are many diagnosis chart available on the net, to analyze it.

In case of this situation, i usually use malachite plus (malachite green+formalin) + antibiotic. Some have suggested using pp, this can but have still continue with other medication, because pp strong oxydizer, it will kill any pathogens in pond, but not in cyst stage, and pp work short time, when it turn brown,it have no use anymore. When the cyst hatch, you will have the same situation and fish got worst.

My final word is please do QUARANTINE the new fishes, until it stress relieved and it adapt to new water parameters. Most pathogen cyst will hatch below 1 week temp 28-30, so it is ensure the new fish didn't bring any pathogens. Beside that,quarantine is also mean to inspect for lice and deworm. If everything ok, fish can be introduce to pond,
    Regards,

Harry Luhur
  • ShukriShukri July 2012
    Bro Harry,
    Thanks for chipping in.......We need to drum in the message more so that the Hobbyists especially the newbies will not take quarantining new fishes likely. :)
  • pandaipandai July 2012
    Bro Shukri,

Perhaps it is good to share within this thread, the proper quarantine procedure for newbies like me to learn. What is minimum duration recommended, minimum water volume so as not to stress the koi, medication to be used, minimum filter setup etc. Also the pros and cons of quarantine at dealer's pond or own pond. Thanks.
    Get Kenkona Koi and Kenkona Bio at special price online at http://kenkonakoi.blogspot.com/
  • abunuhaabunuha July 2012
    Can i know what is the correct way to quarantine the kois...?
  • muzamirmuzamir July 2012
    How about if we get the fish from other hobbyist "healthy" pond? do we still need to quarantine them or just do a simple short bath?
    thks
  • ShukriShukri July 2012
    Dear Koi Kichis,
    I would not want to steal the thunder away from the quarantine Guru (Bro Seng Choon). I will let him share his secrets on the success of the Qurantine Procedures.

Bro Seng Choon, can you take it from here.

And to answer your question bro Muzamir, even if you have gotten a fish from another hobbyists, it is still recommended that you quarantine. The reason being is that if your pond pathogens and bad bacteria content is lesser than the kois that you gotten from the other pond, your own kois could be at risk due to the pathogens from the new fish that they are not accustomed to.......

If I am in the above position, I will not take the risk........the consequences that I can do without.

Welcometo the Forum Bro abunuha.
    Post edited by Shukri at 2012-07-23 09:15:10 am
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar July 2012
    Thanks Bro Shukri and Bro Yth for sharing a painful experience. This would help newbie like us to be more careful and understand the importance on Quarantine.

Bro Shukri,
    Would like to understand whether my approach is correct.
    I only buy new fish from Yamakoshi penang.
    If I buy new arrival, after 21 days quarantine period, I would ask them to keep for another 2 weeks. When collection, they would do a short bath on PP and pack in yellow powder before I collect.
    Once I reach home, i would place the plastic bag with Koi on top of the pond for 30 min. Later transfer the fish in small tub (around 50 l) with air stone. Would slowly top up pond water until the tub is full (would take 1 hour). Leave the Koi for another 2 hours before transfer into the pond.

Thanks in advance.
  • ShukriShukri July 2012
    Bro TK, that is not enough. So far, I must say that you have been very lucky. What if your new acquired koi has gill flukes or BGD? Or internal bacteria infection? You need to do your own proper quarantine procedures. Let's wait for Bro Seng CHoon to share his vast experience with regards to quarantine procedures & process.
  • idrisidris July 2012
    bro muzamir...although the koi is from other healthy hobbyist pond, you still need to quaratine it..i have receive few kois from captain borman and abg shukri pond but still quarantine it..but my method and captain is diferrent..we short bath the koi using kenkona short bath dosage for 1 hour then can put into main pond..

never had any problem before this but maybe because kenkona and we have uncle ong with us..but frankly speaking do not took any chance just quarantine it...
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar July 2012
    Bro Shukri,

Message noted ^:)^
    Would wait for Bro Seng Choon advice....

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership