My DIY Rotary Drum Filter (RDF).
  • AlvinAlvin July 2012
    Hi,

Managed to finish my RDF early last week. Some photo during the making of RDF. i am using a 30 micron filter mesh and the final result :) (Y) ....very happy with the water clarity. Have to say goodbye to weekly manual cleaning [-( .Took me 3 month to make this with help from my good friend.

This is just to replace my mechanical filtration and i still have my biological filter. Flow is at ~ 15,000 liter perhour (Can't confirm as i don't have a flow meter but visually seem like 15K).

Just to share it with you guys.
    koianswers.com/discussion/download/8488/photo 1a.JPG
    koianswers.com/discussion/download/8489/photo 2a.JPG
    koianswers.com/discussion/download/8490/photo 3a.JPG
    koianswers.com/discussion/download/8491/photo 4a.JPG
    koianswers.com/discussion/download/8492/photo 5a.JPG
    koianswers.com/discussion/download/8493/photo 6a.JPG
    koianswers.com/discussion/download/8494/photo 7a.JPG
    koianswers.com/discussion/download/8495/photo 8a.JPG
    koianswers.com/discussion/download/8496/photo 9a.JPG
    koianswers.com/discussion/download/8497/photo 10a.JPG
    koianswers.com/discussion/download/8498/photo 11a.JPG
  • mangkellmangkell July 2012
    Bro Alvin,

Pls explain how your DIY RDF works... :/

Any different to the standard RDF?

It will be beneficial to all newbie like me... Tq
    Mickeyko Ducati-Kujamon Chagreemon Brabus#Sexy-Robust
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar July 2012
    Bro Alvin,

How much does it cost??
  • harry_luhurharry_luhur July 2012
    Nicely built bro Alvin. Good Job.
    Regards,

Harry Luhur
  • kwchankwchan July 2012
    Hi bro, kindly please PM me the price you make this thing too. If possible do you mind me to drop by your place to see how this thing work? Thanks.
  • MikeMike July 2012
    Damn, this a DIY job ??? Looks more like a pro custom work. (Y)
  • AlvinAlvin July 2012
    i have attached link from youtube on how RDF Works. Bro Mangkell, very hard for me to put it in word on how the system work. hope this link help.

Bro Bthineshkumar, i didn't really calculate the cost yet but definately cheaper than manufacturer. i over spec the system for easy modification and program design flexibility.

Bro Kwchan, you are welcome to view the unit function. located in shah alam, section 32. Pls call 012-6832628.

Bro harry, thanks. Dump in a lot of time in the design but happy with the overall result.

Bro Mike, my nature of work is in machinery design and electrical control system. So DIY is pro custom work loh.. :-D :-D
  • grinkz01grinkz01 July 2012
    bro alvin...congratz to ur diy rdf...for the control unit, did i see:
    - variable speed drive?
    - micro PLC?
    - HMI unit?
    if yes it must be expensive control unit (i believe will cost u > RM 2000)?

also would like to understand whether ur rdf is pressurized (clean water flows from inside to outside of the drum) or vacuum one(clwan water flows outside to inside of the drum)?

thx
  • pandaipandai July 2012
    Bro Alvin / Bro Harry,

Do you know is there is a supplier for RDF in Malaysia (either by Koi Collection or any other manufacturer)? How much are they selling it for a similar unit to KC10, KC30 or KC60?

Thanks.
    Get Kenkona Koi and Kenkona Bio at special price online at http://kenkonakoi.blogspot.com/
  • AlvinAlvin July 2012
    Bro Grinkz01,
    definately more than 2K. i put all this in to make just to have easy setting and monitoring.
    -Variable speed = i don't know the required speed, so install a variable speed controller.
    -Micro PLC = well, just for easy modification and using to control other thing as well other than RDF. (Pump, UV and etc)
    -HMI - This is just for user friendly setting of timer and display function history. more for monitoring of the system and alarm.
    **All above is not necessary for RDF, just an add option for easy control. Most of the commercial RDF unit doesn't have this installed in their control system.

Dirty pond water will go into (Inside) the filter drum and filtered water flow toward outside of the filter drum. (Gravity flow and not pressurized). The dirt will flow out from inside drum through a sludge tray to drain (by using pressurized spray nozzle).

Bro pandai,
    Mr Luke from Sentul Park Koi Centre is selling KC Series RDF.
    Post edited by Alvin at 2012-07-31 10:19:54 am
  • pandaipandai July 2012
    Thanks, Bro Alvin. I've contacted them. Awaiting reply.
    Get Kenkona Koi and Kenkona Bio at special price online at http://kenkonakoi.blogspot.com/
  • NeliNeli July 2012
    Alvin, U are a clever man! Job well done!
  • harry_luhurharry_luhur July 2012
    Bro Pandai,
    There are so many RDF manufacture now from small scale to industrial grade. Many china made also
    Available on market. Price a bit expensive, and without proper maintenance, it can createa very small (dust) particles. I had discussion with bro David before regarding this, and this is his opinion. I also install 1 unit in one pond i built, which require low maintenance. And yes, water look great and clean but i have a slightly fog around pond water column. I guess this is one reason sifu David not suing this RDF.

Bro Alvin,
    You DIY look professional lar. A little suggestion is to put a layer of stainless steel 2x2 or 3x3cm wiremesh around the drum, to hold the screen round nicely.
    Regards,

Harry Luhur
  • AlvinAlvin July 2012
    Just to share some info :

Some of the negative feedback from RDF user is :
    1) Slime accumulated on the filter mesh
    2) Some fogging/milky on pond water when using Rdf (Usually in deep pond design).
    3) Maintenance issues.

IMHO all this is solvable :
    1) believe it is due to spray nozzle pressure too low to remove the slime from filter mesh. i oversize the spray pressure to rectify this. hopefully no problem for me.
    2) a lot of commercial RDF doesn't put in fine filter mesh maybe because it will reduce the flow tremendously and high cost. Most of it in the market is at 100 micron to lowest 40 micron rating (Exclude china made). lower Micron rating will determine the water clarity and prevent water fogging issues. i did not have this issues on 30 micron filter mesh.
    3) Most RDf in the market are built to last for at least 2-3 years before requiring minor maintenance.

Bro Harry,
    My initially design is to put in 15 micron filter mesh but decided to try out 30 micron first. 15 micron price is too expensive. if all goes well on 30 micron filter, i will try to install 15 micron to see its effect later.
    Point noted on the wiremesh, would do that during replacement of 15 micron filter mesh :-D

• pandaipandai August 2012
    Bro Alvin,

Do you plan to mass-produce this and sell to us all?
  • AlvinAlvin August 2012
    Bro Pandai,

Never really thought of mass production. Hmmm. I Just like to built something to suit my pond need and also the fun during the DIY process. :-D . If you are interested, I could custom make one to suit your pond filter as I still have some parts left from building mine.
    Post edited by Alvin at 2012-08-02 06:32:33 pm
  • pandaipandai August 2012
    Hmmm... perhaps u can PM me an estimate??? :-?
  • ShukriShukri August 2012
    Yeah! Definitely DIY for the pros........not for normal people like me......... :-D
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • grinkz01grinkz01 August 2012
    bro alvin...rather than relying on steel screen, is it possible to combine with filter cloth (ie Sefar product)? u can choose low air permeability but with high flow model? dont know if workable/not...
  • AlvinAlvin August 2012
    Bro Shukri,
    All koi kichi are pro DIY person. As can be seem from all the creative DIY and idea posted on this forum. :-D

Bro Grinkz01,
    Thanks for the info. i will try to contact them for more info on their product. (handshake)
  • jamiltjamilt August 2012
    very impressive bro (Y)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership