pond water problem
  • YapYap October 2012
    my pond water suddenly mix up some yellow/brown colour for a period of time but the water still clean, can see the bottom.
    just not very clear and can see the colour of water has a bit yellow/brown.
    what kind of problem make the water become like this?
    how to make it back to clear?
  • niveknivek October 2012
    rotting leaves/branch/pieces of wood/feeding with saki hikari growth?
  • YapYap October 2012
    first i also think is leaves or fish poo, but i always had cleaned up leaves and before that no has this problem. no branch or piece of wood.
    i scare the fish poo is the main problem.
    i feeding hikari hi-growth, is that also will cost this problem?
    fish food will make the water colour change?
    any method can solve it?
    This has been discussed before here : http://koianswers.com/discussion/1830/anybody-using-saki-hikari-sinking-hi-growth/p1

Depending on the amount your feed, pond size and filter capacity, yes it does impact the water clarity.
  • HDCuHDCu October 2012
    Hi Bro Yap,

The yellowish brown tint is caused either by tanning from leaves or the end product of the breakdown of organic waste causing the release of phenolic compound that give the water that yellowish brown tint.

There are as far as I know six ways to remedy or lessen the tint.
    1. Increase water change rate to dilute
    2. Increase aeration and/or add bakki shower with good media
    3. put some activated carbon at the last filter stage or last tray of the bAkki
    4. stop feeding the kois for a day or two
    5. build up more facultative anaerobic bacteria
    6. install a foam fractionator

I employ methods from 1 to 5.
  • YapYap October 2012
    i also have the water surface become oily problem when feeding fish, but after that will disappear.
    feed not too much, but pond quite small, not deep.
    now the water colour changed mostly is the fish food cost the problem?
    means change the fish food then the water colour will back to clear?
  • YapYap October 2012
    some steps i also have follow, like build up more bacteria and change water, carbon also.
    i stop feeding one or two days see how's going.
    If you have a surface skimmer, the oily top layer will clear up only to end up in your filter chambers. Unless you have a continuous water trickle with overflow drainout in the filter chamber, your oily layer will not go away.

What is the size of your pond, how many kois and size of kois, how much do you feed per day and frequency of feeding, is your pond shaded, what other types of food do you feed, how old is your pond and do you have uv lights? With this info, our sifus here can provide better help :)

Oh ya need to know your filter setup as well.
    Post edited by nivek at 2012-10-17 12:39:47 am
  • fizanfizan October 2012
    hi,i want to ask about uv light,erm one friend of mine said that UV should be switched on only when there is sunlight. In the dark it is best left turned off. Is there any truth to this? and why?
  • ShukriShukri October 2012
    I turn mine on for 24X7, and sometimes off 24X7.........and my fishes are healthy.
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • YapYap October 2012
    my pond size just 4x6 only, i have another one but now under testing because of water affected, so i moved all kois to that small pond. so now got 18 kois in pond but 10 kois are about 10-15 cm, got 4 kois are 30-40cm and others are 20 -30cm.. i feed about 100g per day separate 2 times. i no using uv light.

my pond about 22years.
  • YapYap October 2012
    fish food is mix up with other kind of fish food or don't mix up better?
    I think its due to overstocking and the ability of your filter to handle the waste. Another contributor could be the lack of UV filter if your pond is exposed to direct sunlight. It doesn't matter if you mix food.

Stop feeding for a few days to see if your water clears up. Do daily 10% water changes and add a 20W UV light.
    Post edited by nivek at 2012-10-17 01:33:56 pm
  • HDCuHDCu October 2012
    Hi Bro Yap,

What is your water change rate as well as turnover rate and amount of aeration?
  • vic_slash20vic_slash20 October 2012
  • YapYap October 2012
    i changing 5-10% of water per day.

i know already overstocking, but no choice because another still under testing water..

i now stop feeding first.
  • weihanweihan October 2012
    Hi Bro Yap, your filter cover is made with wood? is it expose under the sun and rain? do check whether there is brown water leaking from the filter cover..

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

test