Hoshikin kohaku for comment
  • HDCuHDCu November 2012
    I would like to hear from others any comment good/bad with regards to this Hoshikin kohaku. Kindly be specific with regards to the following:
    1. body conformance
    2. skin quality
    3. color
    4. pattern
    5. show quality
    6. future potential?
    7. perceived value?( up to how much one is only willing to spend)

This kohaku is 1 year and 7 month old at 56 cm female

[IMG]http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u499/sacicu/4679feb7e1d68554c50679b07e681f38.jpg[/IMG]

• ShukriShukri November 2012
    Bro HDCu,
    I like the ratios pertaining to the body conformation right now. Hopefully, the Sashi will consolidate. A little distracting is the open window on the large middle patch, and the presence of Beni on the tail fan.

The koi is growing in length at the moment, and before long it will grow side way too.....
    A fish to watch, and it will be interesting when it grows side way....... Please update us in the future. Thanks for sharing.
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • HDCuHDCu November 2012
    Bro Shukri,

This fish has a near pink beni and very good shiroji with very good shine and big potential for fukurin. Its open window is something wrong with the pattern as well as the beni patch on the tail but these attributes makes the koi a lot cheaper(3 x cheaper) as one without it.

Do you think this kois beni will last? any jumbo potential?

Post edited by HDCu at 2012-11-19 12:05:21 pm
    Bro HDCu,
    From the body specifications, this is a Jumbo in the making. As this will be a big fish, a lot of feeding is not necessary. With the right mix of Wheat germ and color food will help maintain a strong deep Beni. This fish will have a strong body in the future.....
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • HDCuHDCu November 2012
    Bro Shukri,

I have never fed wheat germ. any benefits from feeding wheatgerm as oppose to fish meal protein.

Btw, I feed fd hi growth, fd miracle, fd color enhancers. I dunno if fd has wheat germ
    Post edited by HDCu at 2012-11-19 12:14:08 pm
    I find wheat germ to be easy on the kois, and they bulk naturally.......

Those food that you have mentioned are OK, but...........$$$

At times, why don't you try Sakai floating or sinking wheat germ pellets.
    I can tell you that this is not bad..........
  • FPSooFPSoo November 2012
    wheatgerm is suitable for our hot weather and it is relatively easier for digestion. mix them with Hi Grow and Color...
  • lautslauts November 2012
    Bros ,

Something to think abt and consider ?? :-? :-?

Below from Koi Bito by MikeM on use of wheatgerm.

"The use of wheatgerm feed during low temperature periods has been advocated on the basis that it is more digestible. I've followed that teaching for many years. Based on what I've been reading lately, I do believe wheat is more easily digested by koi than many other grains. But, it seems that vegetable-based protein is not as easily (or thoroughly) digested as animal-based protein derived from aquatic life. So, I'm no longer confident in what I was taught about the benefits of using a wheatgerm food. The promotion of wheatgerm foods came out of Japan, I believe, so I'm not ready to discard what I was taught. The Japanese experience is very much about what works in practice. But, I'm left in doubt, which has led to me taking a different approach this year. "

Latest ideas now is rather than feeding wheatgerm , continue high protein but reduce feeding qty to 25% or less than usual. They(US) are going into low temp winter fasting , can this be compared to our hot temp ? Both situation ( too cold or too hot) is abt slower digestion .

More important : Vege protein is more difficult to digest than aquatic animal protein ?

bro HDCu,
    i like the kohaku , based on current conf.( length, shoulders, tail tube) will grow big.

ts
  • HDCuHDCu April 2013
    As an update the above Hoshikin Kohaku is now at around 63cm(24 month old) with stronger beni and more consolidated sashi.

I plan to get one or two higher quality hoshikin than the one above, heres my two choices. Both are just jumbo tosais now.

[IMG]http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u499/sacicu/321b14b964d7f0ecd5cda77fef432529.jpg[/IMG]

Among the two what would be your choice? and why?
  • gerrygerry April 2013
    I'll go with the one on the right bro HDCu.... the white is whiter making the beni stand outr more... and the pattern is quite interesting... body is good too... and there's the pattern stop before the tail.... not sure what you call it (odome?)...

So, yea... I'll go with the one on the right... :)

Actually the one on the left is not bad too... LOL....
  • flamestar1986flamestar1986 April 2013
    L3 the right koi
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar April 2013
    A newbie opinion
    1) Right Koi: More finished koi, gud bulked body, better shirogi, finished beni

2) Left Koi: Future koi, longer body, better tail tube, beni need to b improved but as it is tosai, should not b a problem to develop further (actually its easier to maintain this type of beni), shirogi is weak compared to the right but not bad. If its a female, bulking should not b a problem. Short tail fan

Conclusion: IMHO, I like the fellow on the left considering: female? Gud eating behavior?
    Post edited by Bthineshkumar at 2013-04-25 08:55:26 pm
  • boykoiboykoi April 2013
    hlo bro.nice hoshikins,

for body, the koi has the length and ratio to go jumbo.as for pattern,not much my type on the large step 2nd beni and the windows.the head beni pattern too is tapered too low on the sides.but if skin is great,its a keeper to watch!

id go for the koi on the right.but both koi to me isnt a large pattern fish,for which i preferably would like. as these koi grow,there will be more white on the sides,the pattern will shrunk considerably.ithink there are better ones i saw on this batch,even those with deep patterns up to the lateral line which are nice to watch when growing.but anyhow,all are just awesome hoshikins to get.
  • smokersmoker April 2013
    Bro HDCu,
    Both are nice JT. Considering both are females, around same prices, and sizes don't differ much, i will go for the right one.

• Kelvin86Kelvin86 April 2013
    IMHO, I'll go for the left piece. More potential in future.
    - Aquatic Kingdom -
  • snowlionsnowlion April 2013
    Bro HDCu,

I would take the left piece anytime.
    Reasons:
    1. Better Body Conformation for further lengthening.
    2. The mid section have not open up yet, thus this fish still can lengthen more.
    3. It has a nicer and longer face porportion.
    4. Softer Beni.
    5. Smaller tail fan. (but that little Beni spot may cause some concern)
    6. 2nd step not developed yet, at least one of the 2 Beni spots should merge with the big one.

That is my two cents!

Jerome Ng
  • HDCuHDCu April 2013
    Lets keep the comments going. very interesting comments so far. Really hoping other hobbyist here with Hoshikin bloodlines in their pond would comment as well.
  • Kelvin86Kelvin86 April 2013
    Hi all, this is my Hoshikin Kohaku at Yonsai currently. She is about 69cm, hopefully hits 70cm mark already. The growth rate is slightly slow and may be due to my limited space. Hope all bros and sis like her and thanks for viewing. ;)
    Post edited by Kelvin86 at 2013-04-26 09:41:02 am
    - Aquatic Kingdom -
  • gerrygerry April 2013
    Nice one bro!! :X
  • lautslauts April 2013
    Bro HDCu,

Both pieces very nice. Right is more a NOW fish but for future i would go for left. If you follow Snaden's video on choosing for jumbos, you will notice :
    a) Right kois has very nice scallop kiwa , not so stable. The kiwa of 3rd dan towards the dorsal fin is of concern.
    b) Sashi not even on 2nd dan . Left koi has better and more even sashi, nothing more than 1scale deep.

Body wise , i actually like the right koi , higher (hump) deeper body with stronger back bone . Hope the long body of left koi would develop later.
    i would go for left koi.

ts

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership