Theory on green Water.
  • ShukriShukri December 2012
    Still in the R&D stage with no conclusion evidence..........

Hunch will remain a hunch until the so called Antibiotics production are confirmed.......
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • HDCuHDCu December 2012
    Lately I had been dealing with green water after salting my pond and putting some masoten. Its been a long time in this hobby since I had any green water. At first I was annoyed but now I am enjoying the benefits of the green water. I dont make my present pond pea green but just enough green to see haftway way though the pond. Heres an article from http://www.raingarden.us/green_water.htm

As noted above, some people really like green water. Anyone raising koi or goldfish fry, or managing a mud pond for production purposes tries to promote green water. Ponds are fertilized with manure or agricultural chemicals to promote green water until such time as the feed input is sufficient to maintain the algae.

Green water is the base of a food chain which feeds small water fleas and other zooplankton. Koi and goldfish fry feed on the zooplankton and larger fish feed on the worms, insects and other forms which are nourished by the green water and zooplankton. In addition, goldfish and koi seem to be able to consume the green water directly, despite the small size of the algae cells. It is thought that algae cells are ingested as they reach the end of their short life span, sink to the bottom, and develop into clumps of cells held together by bacteria slime. The protein content of algae is actually quite high and they contain many types of pigments which intensify the color of fish.

Spirulina, a type of single cell algae, is often added to koi and goldfish feeds as a source of high quality nutrition and as a color enhancer. Much of this Spirulina is grown, processed, and packaged on aquaculture farms adjacent to the Kona airport on the Big Island.

A recent trend in Singapore, where there are a lot of serious goldfish hobbyists, is to cultivate green water in the home goldfish aquarium. These people are using 20 to 100 gallon aquaria with no filtration or gravel substrate – just a bare tank with an air stone or two. Fairly intense artificial lighting is used overhead. Initially, the aquarium water may be inoculated with green water if it does not develop on its own. When the goldfish are fed, they produce carbon dioxide and ammonia as waste products. These waste products are just what the single cell algae needs to multiply and increase their numbers. The algae take up carbon dioxide and ammonia and release oxygen through photosynthesis. Weekly, 50 to 70% of the aquarium water is discarded and replaced with new water. This keeps the algae growing rapidly and maintains water quality.

Compared to a clear-water aquarium with biological filter, the benefits of this green water approach to goldfish keeping are said to include the following:

The water quality is improved.

The goldfish appetite and growth is improved.

The goldfish health is improved.

There is little or no incidence of swim bladder abnormalities.

The goldfish color is improved.

The development of head growth on ranchu, lionhead and oranda is dramatically improved.

There is no nitrate build-up.

Goldfish stress is reduced due to the lower visibility.

It is a free source of nutritious, color-enhancing food.

The color of the water is an accurate indicator of fish disease. If the water turns from green to brown, it means there is some disease agent at work. (Editor’s note: This phenomena is poorly understood and one has to question whether the cause and effect are reversed.)

There are disadvantages and potential problems associated with the green water approach:

During the day when the algae are removing carbon dioxide, the pH increases. Carbon dioxide is a weak acid. At night, when carbon dioxide levels rise again, the pH falls back to baseline levels. Most people feel that these gradual pH fluctuations are not stressful and some feel they may even make the goldfish stronger.

During the day, algae produce more oxygen than it consumes. But during the night or whenever the lights are off, oxygen consumption by algae continues so air stones are needed to maintain oxygen levels at night.

There are reports of goldfish getting gas bubble disease (gas embolisms forming in the fins and gills) due to supersaturated oxygen. An air stone should drive off excess oxygen and prevent this problem.

You can’t see your goldfish clearly in green water.

Another developing trend in Singapore is keeping two goldfish tanks. Half or more of the goldfish are kept in a green water tank, tub, or pond – usually outdoors or on a lanai where there is natural sunlight. The rest of the goldfish are kept indoors in a clear-water display aquarium with biological filtration. Every few weeks or months, the fish in the clear water are moved to the green water and fish from the green water are moved to the clear water display tank. This technique maintains goldfish growth, health and color while allowing you to enjoy the display tank.

Sound familiar? For decades, serious koi keepers in Japan have been renting pond space during the summer for some of their fish. While in the green water mud pond, the koi grows rapidly and it’s health and color are restored. KHV is changing these traditions, but there is no doubt that koi benefit from green water as much as goldfish do. Will having a clear water koi display pond and a green water koi conditioning pond at home be the next trend?
  • ShukriShukri December 2012
    I too do not doubt the benefits of green water, but human being human, we are always selfish for oneself. We want those living jewels to be seen and appreciated, so clear and see through water for all of us. But who knows in the future........have 2 ponds like what Bro HDCu has said.........
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership