My new kohakus :D
  • KenWongKenWong December 2012
    Hello all,

I am quite new to the forum and have just gotten 2 new kohakus a couple of days ago. Very happy with them.

What do you guys think?

koianswers.com/discussion/download/11071/Kohaku Tosai 36cm.jpg
    Ake Nissai (bout 2 weeks) 36cm

koianswers.com/discussion/download/11072/Kohaku Tosai 37cm.jpg
    Ake Nissai (bout 2 weeks) 37cm
  • kominatokominato December 2012
    Looks good bro.
  • kwchankwchan December 2012
    Bro James, your comment time :-D
    any good or bad points bout the fish? kominato thanks!
  • kwchankwchan December 2012
    IMO, the fishes seems feed too much color food (looks yellow overall) .
    Beni sashi kiwa good,may looks better if body bulk up to stretch out more shiroji.
    just overall pattern are plain (personal preference point of view)
  • hiddengambithiddengambit December 2012
    Solid bro ! Love the Hi ;)
    Hmmmmm. Thanks for the comments kwchan. I think the reason why its not solid yet is because it is still young. Around 1 year and bout 2 weeks old. I'm hoping for one of them to be female as one is a confirmed male already.

Can anybody guess which is which? hehe
  • ShukriShukri December 2012
    Bro KenWong,
    Looking at the pictures only, normally it is hard to tell. From the redness of the Beni and the intensity, both could be a male. If there are pictures of the vent, then it will be clear about the gender of the kois. An educated guess it that the second Kohaku is a male...... :-D . The tell tale is the thickness of the leading ray of the pectoral fin i.e. quite thick though for the 2nd Kohaku....... :-D
    Post edited by Shukri at 2012-12-19 11:13:39 pm
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
    Haha. You are right. The second one is a male. First one I'm hoping its female. 75% sure. Hmmmm. Don't wanna "kacau" them now. Will measure them again in a months time and I think I can confirm whether the second one is a female or male. Any other comments? :)
  • grinkz01grinkz01 December 2012
    bro kenwong....i second bro shukri guessing for gender based on current photo. elze: dont really like its pattern....beni is excellent but it seems heavily fed with color food so shiroji yellowish..

body no.1 looks a bit strange especially on its gill area....

overall i like no.1 but bcoz of strange gill lookin, i prefer no.2. ....especially if body can go bulkier....
    I see. Thanks for the comments. Nothing wrong with body 1. I guess just the camera angle.

Anyway, these fishes I bought from a good friend who bred them locally with Sakai oyagoi. Just wondering whether it can compare with other Sakai fishes.
  • ShukriShukri December 2012
    Bro Ken Wong,
    What Bro Ming is saying that is not quite right is the gill soft tissues being sucked in like that.....please check the fish out to see whether it is OK.

Kind of difficult for local bred kois to be compared with those from Sakai Japan. Many have tried, but to no avail........but who knows in the distance future.
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • KenWongKenWong March 28
    After 4 years progress picture with periods of pond being renovated

koianswers.com/discussion/download/18032/local bred.jpg

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership