CA's Pond and Kois
  • ChengAunChengAun December 2010
    This is my small ( Shallow ) pond.. it is a little overstocked and intend to give a few away and most of them are local kois... 3 of them are Japanese bred..... the biggest koi's are a 50cm nidan kohaku ( Japanese ) and a 50cm shiro bekko ( also Japanese ). This pond was not actually designed for koi, so thats why its small and has no bottom drain :(........its so small i think its only about 2.5 tons.:( filter is a diy bakki shower filled with ceramic rings... the photos are a bit bright but i will bowl out a few of my favorite koi soon.....:) here are the pics........

any ideas of how to make the photos smaller and clearer??
    Be updated in the world of koi. Jangankan seperti "Koi di bawah bottom drain"
    Post edited by Shukri at 2012-09-02 02:31:14 pm
  • ShukriShukri December 2010
    ChengAun, small as it may be, it is still a koi pond. If $$$ permits (without a major change to the pond), I would suggest for you to get an external filter system like Laguna etc.
    How often and how much water do you change? Would like to see your kois also.
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • ChengAunChengAun December 2010
    Uncle Shukri,
    the diy bakki shower seems to be doing fine for me so i dont think i want to get a external system unless i really have to......i change about 20% of the water every once a week..i will bowl out some of the nicer varieties soon..akan datang! :) if i had the chance...the pond will be much bigger with proper bottom drains and proper chamber filter.. well that will only be a dream for now...
    Post edited by ChengAun at 2011-02-08 03:07:38 am
  • ChengAunChengAun February 2011
    UPDATE:
    Before: www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/1825/koi 1.JPG
    After: www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/1826/koi pon1.jpg

Turbulence from air blower
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/1827/koi pond 2.jpg

Koi's
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/1828/koi pond 3.jpg
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/1829/koi pond 4.jpg

All my koi's now are Japanese only. i gave away the local carps.
    Post edited by ChengAun at 2011-02-08 03:09:16 am
  • AnuarAnuar February 2011
    Cheng Aun, we belong to the same "cute" pond category. My pond is also heavily aerated (3 air blowers) to compensate for the overstocking - I think it helps to produce oxygen considering the high demand from the overstocking. Since you don't have a bottom drain, I'd suggest that you scoop out all the feces & debris daily to prevent bad bacteria from building up.

Anyone else with sub 10 ton ponds? (rock)
  • crystalkoicrystalkoi February 2011
    i have a small pond too which is about 5-6 ton.....i keep 12 kois in it and the average length is about 50-60cm.There are still growing and hopefully they can reach 75cm in this relatively small pond. All my koi are bought as tosai when they were around 20+cm.Small pond can also keep many kois,but we have to make sure the water quality is good and filter cleaning should be done at least once a week...
    Uncle Anuar,
    actually my pond bottom is really clean. i have come up with a system which is maintenance free for a pump fed system which also enables me to put the pump directly next to the filter without having to locate the filter outlet to a further location. I will post pictures soon. and btw, your 9 ton pond isn't that small. just a bit overstocked. i can understand that the koi kichi bug has gotten deep in you. :) (rock)

Crystalkoi,

12 koi's for a 5-6 ton pond??? isn't that a bit overstocked?? one of the forum sifu's Paul Hooi ( PH8 ) only has around 18 koi's in his 50 ton pond! :)
    Post edited by ChengAun at 2011-02-08 05:05:27 am
  • crystalkoicrystalkoi February 2011
    yes,it is true that many people keeps few kois in large ponds and the main reasons they do that is to make sure their potential kois can grow big and healthy.For me,i don know whether my pond is overstocked or not,but all my fish grow well and healthy so i haven plan to cut down the amount of fishes...
  • jaysonjayson February 2011
    hi guys,
    i also had a small pond 2 tons :p with 9 kois at this moment. i know is way overstock.
    i still got 2 more showa with i share with bro anuar havent put into the pond yet. i will take out another koi when the 2 tosai showa ready put into the pond.
  • KaajKaaj February 2011
    Small pond...lots of koi. You need to be on your toes to take care of the water perimeters. Waste management and aeration are the two most important factors i suppose. ThiamHwa, Yotti, Aaron, Zain all overstock in the traditional sense of 1ton water : 1 koi :)
  • AndySittAndySitt February 2011
    Well I was comparing having a pond with a few fish and lots of fishes and I find the ultimate joy of having many fishes is the rush for food.. I just cannot stand waiting for the fish to take their time.. My 9 ton pond has 22 medium size fishes and its doing pretty well... Good growth and bulk. The key is ensuring the first level filtration is clean daily, new water and lots of oxygen.. I tried switching off my o2 concentrator and the fish starts to move their gill more..

In my smaller 5 ton pond I keep up to 60 tosai at times and feed heavily.. But my pump runs at 35ton per hour and lots of air bubbles..

The key is o2, clean water and clean filter... and not too much high protein food.

Thats just my experience which is not necessarily means its acceptable..
    All of the above are true. i order to keep several koi's in a small pond, you need a lot of
    o2, good filter and water. for example Uncle David Soon has 4 shallow ponds. one is 7 tons in volume and only 2'4" deep. yet he heavily feed's them and they grow like mad..in this case he uses a few blowers and a cavitation box. i have a blower which produces 45 liters per minute and a DIY bakki shower. i have 5 koi's.
    :)
    Jayson,
    do share your 2 ton pond. :)
  • JoshuaChinJoshuaChin February 2011
    wah!! tategoi CA like pro oledi wor :p
    eh where got pro leh?? still very bad at choosing koi's. (mooning)
    buy more new koi la then u'll learn how to choose
    wait till i have a big pond heeheheheheh (rock)
    make urself 1 lo...juz dig a big hole at your hse garden :-D
    hahaha....wait lar ;-)
    will post some Sakai tosai later...let me know if u want any
    Post edited by JoshuaChin at 2011-02-09 12:15:37 am
  • BenjaminGohBenjaminGoh February 2011
    Read more koi books! :-D
  • JamesJames February 2011
    Read more, or look at more kois found in koi books?
    or can ask Ben to help....... ;-)
    With Ben around, your koi may be second best. :-))
    with Ben around, my koi's can go to the Shinkokai show :-))
    Little CA, still got 2nd and 3rd prize ma....
    if i dont then....... (swear)
  • ChengAunChengAun March 2011
    update:
    my kois feeding,
  • ChengAunChengAun March 2011
    if i redo my pond, is this design ok??
    koianswers.com/discussion/download/2358/pond redo.png
  • SBSRIDHARSBSRIDHAR April 2011
    Bro,

you need not to do any sump are any thing, keep your pump on opposite to you BS.
    Do the plumbing to your BS with the help of PVC or comfortable thick flexible Nylon
    hose will do it. Because from the BS, good water is flowing to the pond, what is the use of keeping your pump next to the BS. It will pump the same good water to the BS.
    If you keep the pump opposite side water will move from this end to that end. Then the water movement will be all over the pond, the water will be alive. Keep air stones on both sides of BS, they will create some more current in the water.

Since you keeping your pump opposite you will lose some flow rate. Better if you use
    Nylon hose even you can reduce you bends. If you use PVC pipe the bend will reduce
    the flow. But the Nylon hose won't do much.

S.B. Sridhar
    Post edited by SBSRIDHAR at 2011-04-01 12:38:34 am
  • ChengAunChengAun April 2011
    but the sump is already build in the pond
  • SBSRIDHARSBSRIDHAR April 2011
    Bro,

Then Keep the BS opposite side. The concept is pump should be one end and the
    filter should the other end. Near the filter water will be a quality one.If you go
    away from the filter the water quality will reduce. Your pump should be kept
    at bad water place, which is opposite side to the filter.

S.B. Sridhar
    can any sifus come up with a way to improve my pond design without having to buy additional things such as pumps, air blower, major renovation of the pond etc etc?? thanks
    After realizing that circular flow causes bends on koi bodies, i sealed off my tee joint (or my TPR) that is divided from the pump, therefore now my pond doesn't have a systematic flow. Also, due to the fact the tee diversion was sealed, the turnover rate is from a estimated 1.5/hour to 3 - 4 an hour. :)
  • PH8PH8 April 2011
    Tategoi CA, not sure what you're saying...
    what i mean is, because i use a pump for the filter ( no BD ) i put a tee joint pointed to create a circular flow. but because i found out that circular flow causes bends, i sealed off the tee joint so that no circular flow will be created. previously, because the tee joint is connected to the inlet pipe to the bs, some of the water will be diverted and therefore making the filter T/O rate slower. But because i sealed the tee joint outlet, the water going in the filter is now faster and not diverted. so the estimated T/O rate previously was about 1.5 of the total pond volume/hour and currently about 3.5- 4 times an hour. :)
  • JamesJames April 2011
    Little CA, I am unsure if this solves circular flow or just make circular flow slower. Both ways still circular flow.
    Water Color:
    i noticed that my water is clear but yellowish or as uncle David puts it as "sun baked" water.
    is this normal?
  • PH8PH8 April 2011
    I think Brother David mentioned before that yellowish tinge is due to high phosphates content in the water. The techie way of removing it is using an ozonator but not recommended for normal hobbyists like us. The more "normal" way is to do frequent water changes to dilute the phosphates level down. Couple it with regular usage of Refresh powder (or any effective equivalent). The clay powder tend to attach themselves to phosphates molecules and sink down so that backflushing can remove them from the system. Hope this helps. :)
    i think that refresh powder is a bit expensive. i believe Ooi Tong Sun of the old koi club used red clay as refresh powder? uncle thiam Hwa should know
  • PH8PH8 April 2011
    Yes. I think Bro Lau also has a very much cheaper alternative.
  • ChengAunChengAun May 2011
    Cleaning The Sump In The Pond....
    There is a sump inside my pond that is used to house my pump for the fountain. There was ALOT of leaves, poop and even worms! I was sure that this would be a dead spot. So i went into the pond and decided to clean the sump...

www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/2773/sump cleaning 1.JPG
    The Sump (sorry for the blurry photo)
    http://www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/2774/sump_picnik.jpg

Just To Give an idea of the junk inside...
    http://www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/2775/gunk_picnik.jpg
    Post edited by ChengAun at 2011-05-04 11:19:47 pm
  • ChengAunChengAun May 2011

a video from a few months back.
    Post edited by ChengAun at 2011-05-26 01:59:23 am
  • ChengAunChengAun June 2012
    Koi Pond Redo.....

Waterproofing and adding an overflow pipe. The pond will be a deep glossy black, like most ponds :)
  • ikankoikauikankoikau June 2012
    Tetagoi CA,
    This must be your school holiday project la :-D Good luck bro. Preparing for the new arrival ka?
  • ashfaqashfaq June 2012
    CA, this is the time, come on remove that Center Pillar to give little more space to ur kois
    Thanks,
    Ashfaq from India-Chennai
    Uncle Borman,
    Takde new arrival lah. Orang miskin loh :P

Uncle Ashfaq,
    Want to but unfortunately this is strictly not approved by the House Ministry ( not home minister yet lah) :))
  • KoiBeginnerKoiBeginner June 2012
    Wahh bro! Renovating already ah! When gonna dig deeper? I also need to renovate my pond in the near future as my filter system is screwed up :(

Not renovating lah, just a bit of redo.
    Unfortunately, couldn't get the pond painted black, so it a glossy dark grey.

BTW, after calculating the gallons of the pond, it turns out to be approx. 1100 gallons ( 4 tons)
    Update- 13/6/12
    It's better than it looks here :P
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/7194/pond.jpg

New electric box, for pond only. (opened in photo, has a "door")

www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/7195/switches2.jpg
  • NeliNeli June 2012
    Your pond/fountain is small but pretty! But U are doing miracles with it.
    Post edited by Neli at 2012-06-13 10:39:48 pm
  • MikeMike June 2012
    CA, what do you use to paint the pond internal ? polyurethane / epoxy ?
    @mike Not very sure, but it's not paint on. It's mixed with the cement and waterproofing
    Post edited by ChengAun at 2012-06-14 09:16:08 pm
    Aunt Neli, thanks for the compliments. You have a huge pond. Good luck with your new build :)
    @Neli
  • NeliNeli June 2012
    Thank U my Baby for being such a dedicated koi keeper and making the most of what U have...
    All the best to U and your koi.
  • ChengAunChengAun July 2012
    Update on my Maruyama Kohaku. Its still skinny and the beni has gone down :/ need to get some refresh powder.
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/8338/maruyama.jpg
  • RonnieRonnie July 2012
    Lovely koi you have there bro CA.Color no so down la.make it healthy the it will it will groom it self.
  • ShukriShukri July 2012
    I agree with you Ronnie, the red is glaring that it hurts my eyes, when looking at the photo........ :-D Hope the koi will turn out good for you.......
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
    Post edited by Shukri at 2012-07-24 07:15:41 pm
    Just to share, this was my pond back when I kept local koi. It was more of an ornamental pond than a koi pond :)
  • ShukriShukri July 2012
    And how about the latest situation........... :-D
    Yes, yes coming soon. (mooning)
    Post edited by ChengAun at 2012-07-25 04:44:39 pm
    Here........
    http://www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/8377/nps%201%20resize.jpg

Bakki shower........
    http://www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/8378/bs%201.jpg

I'm trying brick in the bakki shower as recommended by uncle @JoshuaChin in another thread.
    http://www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/8379/bs%20brick.jpg

Mini TOR-X? haha :P (no lah, just a little water output for extra oxygen and water movement at the surface)
    http://www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/8380/TOR-X%20mini.jpg

Electric box for koi pond only.....
    http://www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/8381/electric%20box.jpg

Post edited by ChengAun at 2012-07-25 05:59:01 pm
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar July 2012
    Nice (Y)
  • ShukriShukri July 2012
    CA, the solids do not have time to settle down.....thus why the water looks a bit cloudy.
    That, and no mechanical filter
    :-))
  • mangkellmangkell July 2012
    Little CA,

Well done on MODS,

Solid waste can ask Auto mode Cyclone spare part from Bro Shukri...

& The "-X™" spare part there, can trade in also from him... ;-)
    Mickeyko Ducati-Kujamon Chagreemon Brabus#Sexy-Robust
    Uncle Aznan, thanks. Perhaps RAIN-X? TOR-X little bro? :-))
    My new avatar..... this was from before pond redo :D
    http://www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/8391/koi%20resize.jpg

• gerrygerry July 2012
    Nice cute pond CA! :-D

You have a nice looking Shiro too...
  • ikankoikauikankoikau July 2012
    Hi tetagoi CA,
    I think you got bitten like most of us... never satisfy with our pond syndromme:-)) From the video and photos, I think you are transiting from garden pond to hard core kichi.

Btw how many kois you have at this moment in your 3.5 ton pond? If it's not too overstock, I do hope you can do me a favour by taking away my Sakai Sanke from my "going to be overstock soon" pond. Take is as fasting month present for your latest pond tweak:-) But I think it's a he. He won 2nd place in Asia Cup last year. Still looking very good. I think he can still and ready to take home some more prizes.

Let me know or pm me if you are game for it and your pond can still accept him.
    Post edited by ikankoikau at 2012-07-26 08:48:22 am
    Hello uncle Borman, ( @ikankoikau )
    I have 7 koi right now, but will give some of the cheaper ones away. I am very grateful with your offer. I will think about it, will inform you once I get rid of some of the kois. Thank you very much though, and Happy Ramadhan. :)
    Post edited by ChengAun at 2012-07-26 01:21:20 pm
    I tot you are supose to be at school now:-)
    Maybe I should thank you :-)) Let me know if you are ready. Or would you prefer othe varieties like ....hmmmm... let me see... Kohaku, showa or small shusui?
    Thanks for the wish CA.
    Post edited by ikankoikau at 2012-07-26 02:47:24 pm
  • pandaipandai July 2012
    Uncle Borman!!! If you want to let go some of your prized kois, I also want some too...!!! :-"
    Get Kenkona Koi and Kenkona Bio at special price online at http://kenkonakoi.blogspot.com/
    Bro pandai, you already got a few in your pond maaa [-(
    Some more your pond already overstocked :-))
    Post edited by ikankoikau at 2012-07-26 04:48:38 pm
  • pandaipandai July 2012
    Bro, with your kind of high quality fish that have been further nurtured in your superb quality pond; I will be more than happy to get rid of some or many of my much inferior quality ones just to make space for them... :-D
    Get Kenkona Koi and Kenkona Bio at special price online at http://kenkonakoi.blogspot.com/
    My koi cheap2 only la bro. Mostly garden pond's kois. But I will keep that in mind ;-)
  • ChengAunChengAun August 2012
    Look what I found, must be the oldest photo of the pond dating back to 2005....
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/8720/pond 05.jpg
    Attachments
    pond 05.jpg 26K
  • ShukriShukri August 2012
    CA, I know before that you like green water...........now your water is crystal clear right? :-D
    Uncle @Shukri , not that I liked green water, just limited experience with filtration. Now water clarity and quality has improved alot. The NPS situation is not so bad anymore, quite clear water and stable conditions.
    Good that you are out of NPS, but why is the water is only quite clear? Still a little green is it? Got UV light or not?
    No Uv, not greenish just a yellow tinge. Water is otherwise crystal clear.
  • mangkellmangkell August 2012
    TCA,

How clear is a crystal clear? :/

When we can see the BD clearly?

When we can see a crystal near the BD?

When we can clearly see a clear BD?

When we BD see crystal can clear?

Pls choose..... :-S
  • megatronmegatron August 2012
    When you can see each scale clearly
    Don't ask me why!!!
    When we can see the blood worms crawling at the base of the pond from 6 ft up....... :-D
    :-)) Agreed
  • ChengAunChengAun September 2012
    Update on the pond, after redoing and NPS........ The 2 air blowers turned off for the video.

Water has improved alot since NPS but still not happy with the clarity.
  • ShukriShukri September 2012
    Yup, the water could be better. Probably you need to siege the solid waste a little bit better..........
  • ChengAunChengAun September 2012
    Uncles....
    This is my new youtube channel, replacing the old one which I have closed.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/CAKoiKichi?feature=mhee
    All video updates will be uploaded here. :)
  • KoiBeginnerKoiBeginner September 2012
    Nice!
  • appendeeqsappendeeqs September 2012
    Bro Cheng Aun,

You gave me the spirit! :-D
  • ChengAunChengAun October 2012
    Uncles, Aunties, Sifu's, Sifulina :-D
    Should I add a portable bottom drain to my pond?
    Your advise is apreciated :)
  • mangkellmangkell October 2012
    What is portable BD? They are movable kaa CA? :-D

Care to Xplain? :/
    Yes uncle Aznan, can move...For example your pond wasn't built properly, and you want to keep koi and don't want to spend $$$ renovating to install BD.....So the portable BD is like a BD but portable....
    Here is more info from some websites...
    http://www.swelluk.com/img/shop/full/BottomDrain.jpg
    "It is said that you can not beat a bottom drain system. If you have a pond that does not have a bottom drain but wish you had installed one, or do you have a bottom drain and want to install another here is the answer.

A bottom dome that sits on the floor of your pond which requires no digging or intensive labour.

Just simply place the self-weighted bottom dome in your pond and attach a pipe from either an internal pump such as an oase aquamax or promax(these pumps have two inlets)or an external pond pump,and enjoy all the benefits of a bottom drain with minimal expense."

Don't tell me you want to hook one up to THOR-OX :-))
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar October 2012
    Sounds interesting Bro CA. Where can buy this?
  • harry_luhurharry_luhur October 2012
    Bro TK,

Can easily DIY or can make it for you from PVC if you want :). You can use any material (pan, bucket, anything) drill a hole, put a threaded socket. But i must remind that you need to lower the pipe to minimum point near to pond bottom, otherwise the suction is not good.

Regards,

Harry Luhur
    So basically they need additional dry pump for a movable BD that are normally gravity fed only. :-?
    Submersible pump can't use..
    Anyway, still a good choice for an additional BD...
    The suction part bef the water pump must be air tight... Very air tight to be efficient...

I would call it SUCKER-OX™ :!! aah TCA if U don't mind... HeHeHe :-D
    or Movable BD-OX™ (mooning) if U mind... KeKeKe :-))
    Boleh la :-))
    Post edited by ChengAun at 2012-10-04 05:44:54 pm
    SUCK-OX™ (smoking) sounds cooler.... Got trade mark summore....
    A Shit dirt sucker...

Can't hooked to THOR-OX™ :-t bcoz she need a clean water to avoid clogging....
    Btway, she had passed a 1 month durability test without clogging...
    Hence might put 'D' for Durability in the name...

How about THOR-DOX™ :-t ... :-??
    THOR-SHIT :-D
  • niveknivek October 2012
    How about "Shit Vacumn" lol
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar October 2012
    Sifu Harry,

Thanks for the guide. Would try DIY. :-D

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

test