CA's Pond and Kois
  • ChengAunChengAun December 2010
    This is my small ( Shallow ) pond.. it is a little overstocked and intend to give a few away and most of them are local kois... 3 of them are Japanese bred..... the biggest koi's are a 50cm nidan kohaku ( Japanese ) and a 50cm shiro bekko ( also Japanese ). This pond was not actually designed for koi, so thats why its small and has no bottom drain :(........its so small i think its only about 2.5 tons.:( filter is a diy bakki shower filled with ceramic rings... the photos are a bit bright but i will bowl out a few of my favorite koi soon.....:) here are the pics........

any ideas of how to make the photos smaller and clearer??
  • ShukriShukri December 2010
    ChengAun, small as it may be, it is still a koi pond. If $$$ permits (without a major change to the pond), I would suggest for you to get an external filter system like Laguna etc.
    How often and how much water do you change? Would like to see your kois also.
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • ChengAunChengAun December 2010
    Uncle Shukri,
    the diy bakki shower seems to be doing fine for me so i dont think i want to get a external system unless i really have to......i change about 20% of the water every once a week..i will bowl out some of the nicer varieties soon..akan datang! :) if i had the chance...the pond will be much bigger with proper bottom drains and proper chamber filter.. well that will only be a dream for now...
    Post edited by ChengAun at 2011-02-08 03:07:38 am
    Be updated in the world of koi. Jangankan seperti "Koi di bawah bottom drain"
  • ChengAunChengAun February 2011
    UPDATE:
    Before: www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/1825/koi 1.JPG
    After: www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/1826/koi pon1.jpg

Turbulence from air blower
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/1827/koi pond 2.jpg

Koi's
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/1828/koi pond 3.jpg
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/1829/koi pond 4.jpg

All my koi's now are Japanese only. i gave away the local carps.
    Post edited by ChengAun at 2011-02-08 03:09:16 am
  • AnuarAnuar February 2011
    Cheng Aun, we belong to the same "cute" pond category. My pond is also heavily aerated (3 air blowers) to compensate for the overstocking - I think it helps to produce oxygen considering the high demand from the overstocking. Since you don't have a bottom drain, I'd suggest that you scoop out all the feces & debris daily to prevent bad bacteria from building up.

Anyone else with sub 10 ton ponds? (rock)
  • crystalkoicrystalkoi February 2011
    i have a small pond too which is about 5-6 ton.....i keep 12 kois in it and the average length is about 50-60cm.There are still growing and hopefully they can reach 75cm in this relatively small pond. All my koi are bought as tosai when they were around 20+cm.Small pond can also keep many kois,but we have to make sure the water quality is good and filter cleaning should be done at least once a week...
    Uncle Anuar,
    actually my pond bottom is really clean. i have come up with a system which is maintenance free for a pump fed system which also enables me to put the pump directly next to the filter without having to locate the filter outlet to a further location. I will post pictures soon. and btw, your 9 ton pond isn't that small. just a bit overstocked. i can understand that the koi kichi bug has gotten deep in you. :) (rock)

Crystalkoi,

12 koi's for a 5-6 ton pond??? isn't that a bit overstocked?? one of the forum sifu's Paul Hooi ( PH8 ) only has around 18 koi's in his 50 ton pond! :)
    Post edited by ChengAun at 2011-02-08 05:05:27 am
  • crystalkoicrystalkoi February 2011
    yes,it is true that many people keeps few kois in large ponds and the main reasons they do that is to make sure their potential kois can grow big and healthy.For me,i don know whether my pond is overstocked or not,but all my fish grow well and healthy so i haven plan to cut down the amount of fishes...
  • jaysonjayson February 2011
    hi guys,
    i also had a small pond 2 tons :p with 9 kois at this moment. i know is way overstock.
    i still got 2 more showa with i share with bro anuar havent put into the pond yet. i will take out another koi when the 2 tosai showa ready put into the pond.
  • KaajKaaj February 2011
    Small pond...lots of koi. You need to be on your toes to take care of the water perimeters. Waste management and aeration are the two most important factors i suppose. ThiamHwa, Yotti, Aaron, Zain all overstock in the traditional sense of 1ton water : 1 koi :)
  • AndySittAndySitt February 2011
    Well I was comparing having a pond with a few fish and lots of fishes and I find the ultimate joy of having many fishes is the rush for food.. I just cannot stand waiting for the fish to take their time.. My 9 ton pond has 22 medium size fishes and its doing pretty well... Good growth and bulk. The key is ensuring the first level filtration is clean daily, new water and lots of oxygen.. I tried switching off my o2 concentrator and the fish starts to move their gill more..

In my smaller 5 ton pond I keep up to 60 tosai at times and feed heavily.. But my pump runs at 35ton per hour and lots of air bubbles..

The key is o2, clean water and clean filter... and not too much high protein food.

Thats just my experience which is not necessarily means its acceptable..
    All of the above are true. i order to keep several koi's in a small pond, you need a lot of
    o2, good filter and water. for example Uncle David Soon has 4 shallow ponds. one is 7 tons in volume and only 2'4" deep. yet he heavily feed's them and they grow like mad..in this case he uses a few blowers and a cavitation box. i have a blower which produces 45 liters per minute and a DIY bakki shower. i have 5 koi's.
    :)
    Jayson,
    do share your 2 ton pond. :)
  • JoshuaChinJoshuaChin February 2011
    wah!! tategoi CA like pro oledi wor :p
    eh where got pro leh?? still very bad at choosing koi's. (mooning)
    buy more new koi la then u'll learn how to choose
    wait till i have a big pond heeheheheheh (rock)
    make urself 1 lo...juz dig a big hole at your hse garden :-D
    hahaha....wait lar ;-)
    will post some Sakai tosai later...let me know if u want any
    Post edited by JoshuaChin at 2011-02-09 12:15:37 am
  • BenjaminGohBenjaminGoh February 2011
    Read more koi books! :-D
  • JamesJames February 2011
    Read more, or look at more kois found in koi books?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership