CA's Pond and Kois
  • ChengAunChengAun February 2011
    or can ask Ben to help....... ;-)
    Be updated in the world of koi. Jangankan seperti "Koi di bawah bottom drain"
  • JamesJames February 2011
    With Ben around, your koi may be second best. :-))
    with Ben around, my koi's can go to the Shinkokai show :-))
  • JamesJames February 2011
    Little CA, still got 2nd and 3rd prize ma....
    if i dont then....... (swear)
  • ChengAunChengAun March 2011
    update:
    my kois feeding,
  • ChengAunChengAun March 2011
    if i redo my pond, is this design ok??
    koianswers.com/discussion/download/2358/pond redo.png
  • SBSRIDHARSBSRIDHAR April 2011
    Bro,

you need not to do any sump are any thing, keep your pump on opposite to you BS.
    Do the plumbing to your BS with the help of PVC or comfortable thick flexible Nylon
    hose will do it. Because from the BS, good water is flowing to the pond, what is the use of keeping your pump next to the BS. It will pump the same good water to the BS.
    If you keep the pump opposite side water will move from this end to that end. Then the water movement will be all over the pond, the water will be alive. Keep air stones on both sides of BS, they will create some more current in the water.

Since you keeping your pump opposite you will lose some flow rate. Better if you use
    Nylon hose even you can reduce you bends. If you use PVC pipe the bend will reduce
    the flow. But the Nylon hose won't do much.

S.B. Sridhar
    Post edited by SBSRIDHAR at 2011-04-01 12:38:34 am
  • ChengAunChengAun April 2011
    but the sump is already build in the pond
  • SBSRIDHARSBSRIDHAR April 2011
    Bro,

Then Keep the BS opposite side. The concept is pump should be one end and the
    filter should the other end. Near the filter water will be a quality one.If you go
    away from the filter the water quality will reduce. Your pump should be kept
    at bad water place, which is opposite side to the filter.

S.B. Sridhar
    can any sifus come up with a way to improve my pond design without having to buy additional things such as pumps, air blower, major renovation of the pond etc etc?? thanks
    After realizing that circular flow causes bends on koi bodies, i sealed off my tee joint (or my TPR) that is divided from the pump, therefore now my pond doesn't have a systematic flow. Also, due to the fact the tee diversion was sealed, the turnover rate is from a estimated 1.5/hour to 3 - 4 an hour. :)
  • PH8PH8 April 2011
    Tategoi CA, not sure what you're saying...
    what i mean is, because i use a pump for the filter ( no BD ) i put a tee joint pointed to create a circular flow. but because i found out that circular flow causes bends, i sealed off the tee joint so that no circular flow will be created. previously, because the tee joint is connected to the inlet pipe to the bs, some of the water will be diverted and therefore making the filter T/O rate slower. But because i sealed the tee joint outlet, the water going in the filter is now faster and not diverted. so the estimated T/O rate previously was about 1.5 of the total pond volume/hour and currently about 3.5- 4 times an hour. :)
  • JamesJames April 2011
    Little CA, I am unsure if this solves circular flow or just make circular flow slower. Both ways still circular flow.
    Water Color:
    i noticed that my water is clear but yellowish or as uncle David puts it as "sun baked" water.
    is this normal?
  • PH8PH8 April 2011
    I think Brother David mentioned before that yellowish tinge is due to high phosphates content in the water. The techie way of removing it is using an ozonator but not recommended for normal hobbyists like us. The more "normal" way is to do frequent water changes to dilute the phosphates level down. Couple it with regular usage of Refresh powder (or any effective equivalent). The clay powder tend to attach themselves to phosphates molecules and sink down so that backflushing can remove them from the system. Hope this helps. :)
    i think that refresh powder is a bit expensive. i believe Ooi Tong Sun of the old koi club used red clay as refresh powder? uncle thiam Hwa should know
  • PH8PH8 April 2011
    Yes. I think Bro Lau also has a very much cheaper alternative.
  • ChengAunChengAun May 2011
    Cleaning The Sump In The Pond....
    There is a sump inside my pond that is used to house my pump for the fountain. There was ALOT of leaves, poop and even worms! I was sure that this would be a dead spot. So i went into the pond and decided to clean the sump...

www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/2773/sump cleaning 1.JPG
    The Sump (sorry for the blurry photo)
    http://www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/2774/sump_picnik.jpg

Just To Give an idea of the junk inside...
    http://www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/2775/gunk_picnik.jpg
    Post edited by ChengAun at 2011-05-04 11:19:47 pm

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership