CA's Pond and Kois
  • harry_luhurharry_luhur October 2012
    Bro TK,

Can try to find an 8" or 12" pipe end cap, drill a hole in the centre, and use male threaded socket and female elbow threaded socket on top. I had done this before, but don't know where put the product, will have to ask my worker to find it. I custom made end cap similar to what CA post above.
    Regards,

Harry Luhur
  • mangkellmangkell October 2012
    That will be THOR-HARRY™ :p ...

How to secure the male thread with the drilled 12" end cap? make it air tight?
    Male tank connector got extra rubber seal on both side...
    Mickeyko Ducati-Kujamon Chagreemon Brabus#Sexy-Robust
    CA, U can use a giant turtle shell if U like...

Size more than 3 feet, Found in Atlantic ocean....

same size as Auntie @Neli Jumbo BD's... Just place it opposite side....

Or she can DIY summore for U.... ;-)
  • HDCuHDCu October 2012
    Speaking of bottom drains, I am still trying to study what the science of the entrance gap and diameter of the bottom drain in relation to pump output and coverage area.

Anyone care to share?
  • ChengAunChengAun October 2012
    :)) uncle Aznan, whether can fit in my mini pond is another question :))
    Be updated in the world of koi. Jangankan seperti "Koi di bawah bottom drain"
  • NeliNeli October 2012
    As a summery of what I have found around the net,,,1.5 cm gup in the BD is the average size...but some people prefer adjustable gup...P wadding ton prefers wider BD...over 18" .... He sais they are better at sucking the dirt...his observations are that the BD radius of active suction is only 30 cm around the drain, the movement of the debries is mostly done by returns, air and fish...for short if U don't have any of this additions..the BD will keep clean only around 30 cm around...¥
    @HDCu
  • MikeMike October 2012
    Nivek :-)) (Shit Vacumn)

Shit buster more like it ...
  • HDCuHDCu October 2012
    Sis

Thanks for the info.

My bottom drains are 14 inches in diameter and gap is like 1.5inch. Ive notice that it does not suck immediately the waste that fall more than 15 inches away. Usually it takes at least 8 hours for the bottom to get clean of any debris. Im thinking of reducing the gap to one inch but im afraid it might cause a drop in water level in the filter chamber. :-?
    Bro @HDCu,

In theory, if we don't want any further drop in SC due to BD cover.....

The area of your BD cover opening must be equal or bigger than the BD pipe area..... L-)
    Bro HDCu,

The smaller gap, the better suction you have, for 14", 1/2" is more than enough,depend on ur pump turn over. Adjust it to smaller as possible and compare the different between pond and 1st chamber water level.

I have been thinking to alter the gap to create swirling action inside the BD. It can possible better to drive the debris inside the pipe
    Regards,

Harry Luhur
    Assuming that U r using 4" pipe.....
    The pipe area is 3.142 x 2" x 2" =... calculator please....
    The size diameter of BD cover do effect the suction power....
    Assuming U r using a 24" dia.... The min spacing opening is..... Calculator kojap... [-O<
    Ok pipe area is 12.568 Sq inch...
    BD cover area circle length is 2 x 3.142 x 12" =75"

Hence, the opening spacing is 12.568Sq inch / 75inch=0.16Inches only...

At that spacing, the water velocity inside the BD pipe & at the BD cover opening are the same...
    It'll be diffrent if U use bigger pot or smaller one... :-D
    The above assumed the pot got no other holes on top or side area....

I call it Equal-Veloc™ X(

• HDCuHDCu October 2012
    Bro Harry, Bro Mangkell,

Thanks For the advice. Now my problem is how am i going to lift the concrete BD to fix it and how do I get out of the pond. I didnt exactly designed it for a person to get out...:-?
    Post edited by HDCu at 2012-10-05 12:17:51 am
    Bro HDCu,

If you ever see a movie on Lifting something underwater using plastic fill with air like ballon, that can give idea if it is too heavy. If not, i usually prepare a diving goggle attach with some airline hose so my worker can last longer underwater.
    Post edited by harry_luhur at 2012-10-05 12:35:18 am
    Regards,

Harry Luhur
  • NeliNeli October 2012
    The suction of the BD is not much...compared to the rest of the factors contributing to the removal of debries. If U have a problem with waste on the pond floor...u need to examine all factors together...not just the BD...
    Bro Harry,
    I like your idea of directing the flow into the BD...maybe some flaps...plates...in the gup that will not reduce the flow...but direct it...not a good idea for my BD since I want sedimentation there...
    The circumference of your BD is 3.14d= 3.14x35= 110 cm...
    The area if the gup is 1 cm therefore is 110cm2
    The area of a 4" pipe is 3.14 r2= 78cm2
    So your BD has larger area even with 1cm gup...
    Post edited by Neli at 2012-10-05 01:18:32 am
  • HDCuHDCu October 2012
    Sis Neli,

Actually theres is not really much waste in the floor as the floor is inclined bowled going to center and the direction of output flow is on the sides rotating the water towards the BD.

I figure if I reduce the BD opening to half inch maybe the floor suction will increase further so that falling debris with get suck faster.
  • NeliNeli October 2012
    Bro HDCu...what did U use to create the gup in the bD cover...if it is something U can chip away easily..U can just get little square tiles...two on top of each other...with a glue like pratlely that can harden under water...
  • HDCuHDCu October 2012
    Sis Neli,

I just used four PVC pipe embeded in concrete BD. To cut it I will have to grind it off.
    Post edited by HDCu at 2012-10-05 01:22:58 am
  • NeliNeli October 2012
    Not easy under water...maybe axel blade?
    How heavy it is? In the water things are lighter???
    Good lesson for me with my heavy BD....but I put three metal hooks in mine...so I will be able pull it out...I don't think it will be that hard to take yours out??? Put a cloth net around tie it on top and pull it out.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership