My Arowana
  • ChengAunChengAun April 2013
    Hi all, just sharing my new arowana. (Yes I'm still into koi's, no worries :P)
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/12529/r1.jpg

www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/12530/r3.jpg

www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/12531/r2.jpg

Type: Banjar Red Arowana/1.5 red arowana
    Purchased at: Chew Thean Yeang (CTY) Aquarium , Penang.
    Food: Tetra Arowana Pellets
    Tank size: 3' x 1.5' x 1.5'
    Tank mates: None
    Filtration: Overhead wet/dry filter (Similar to 1 tier bakki shower)
  • HermanHerman April 2013
    Hi, CA

May i know how much u paid for this 1.5 red? In my opinion, barbel should be straight for choosing an arowana. I used to feed arowana with cricket n small fishes for 13 years. But i never try arowana pellet b4. I know hikari got arowana pellet too, u might hv a try. Can share the result of feeding pellet in future? Pls do some update later, thanks.
    Hi uncle Herman,
    I will send you a PM on the price. Yes, I know the barbel must be straight, basic criteria, it's just at that photo it's not straight. I kept a few arowana before, used to feed feeder fish and pellets (Tried cricket, don't seem to like it surprisingly). I'll start to feed this one a variety of food like prawns and feeder fish when a bit bigger. No problem with pellets, seems to enjoy it.
    Post edited by ChengAun at 2013-04-06 06:13:24 pm
    Be updated in the world of koi. Jangankan seperti "Koi di bawah bottom drain"
  • IzrulIzrul April 2013
    hahaha..makes me wanna keep arowana again..
    had a blue base red arowana before...die after 2 years..
    Wah, blue base red, nice! Keep lah!
    Hi, CA

Uncle Herman??? I'm only 29 leh. Even a 7 - 8 years kid call me uncle but i'm STILL couldn't accept. :-(
    N in my experience, a 4' x 2' x 2' is the basic criteria to raise an arowana. I'll put some river fish to accompany it while it is still small. Because i think the river fish could help it to be more aggresive n afraid of nothing. So after a while when i feed anything to the arowana, it will only open its mouth n ask for more. N so if the arowana eat more, it will become bigger n bigger easily. Just my experience.
    Okay "bro" Herman :P , thanks for the advice. I used to keep a silver arowana with some tinfoil barbs or lampam, a good combo, perhaps I should do the same with this one, what do you think?
    And yes, once it gets bigger I'll upgrade tank size.
    Okay, bro CA. I think u should go with the combo. But i suggest u put at least a few pieces. Let say if arowana disturb or attack A, it will chase A n when B come across, it will change its target to B n so on. N i hope 1 day they will become friends... This might help the river fishes to survive n bare thier pain. Just my 2 cents. N sorry for my very poor english. :)
    But river fishes being very fast and active swimmers, they wont hurt the small arowana would they? My silver arowana was quite big by the time I put tank mates so I'm a bit paranoid.
    No worries, your English is perfectly understandable, it's a koi forum, not English class :)
    Smaller lampam should't be any problem, bro CA. Characteristic different, lampam is soft type, arowana is aggresive type. In a small aquarium, the fast swimmer would become slow due to limited space. The arowana could easily caught the river fishes, that's why i suggest put at least few pieces. :-D
  • IzrulIzrul April 2013
    Lampam is fast worr...even parrot couldnt get at them...
    But arowana is faster than parrot, bro Izrul. If an arowana wants to attack a fish in a small aquarium, it got its own trick. I mixed 8 parrots with an arowana b4, half of the parrots injured badly.
    Post edited by Herman at 2013-04-07 09:58:17 pm
  • niveknivek April 2013
    Nice one (Y)
  • weihanweihan April 2013
    you have to add in many parrots or arowana so they dont fight for territory, for arowana, its better to add in parrots fish, then only arowana.. so that the arowana wont take the parrot fish as invader
    @nivek I bought it in Penang by the way, I was lucky not to get infected by you and uncle Kumar :-))
  • ChengAunChengAun May 2013
    Sometimes I wonder if certain hobbyists and "experts" overreact at times. For instance, some will tell you that an asian arowana needs a minimum 6 feet long tank with lots of state of the art filtration, and the fish is living okay okay only. The LFS I used to go to, (Which was in business with arowana's for more than 40 years, now retired) got arowana that have been with them for 10+ years, in 4-5 feet tanks with non other than a simple air powered box filter. That's right, RM **** fish with only a corner filter. You may for a moment think this is wrong, but the arowana's were living perfectly healthy and happy, which very vivid colors and shape. Same goes for koi's, some will tell you that 20 kois in a 20 ton pond is the maximum, but many of us here (Typical us :D ) can keep 20 jumbo's in 10 ton ponds with no problem. Anyone else wonder?
  • sivakoisivakoi May 2013
    that is an interesting observation. Here are my thoughts, since I have been keeping arowanas all together (4) pieces for the past 12 years.

Point 1 -
    Arowana will never grow to 90cm :-D , unless it's the silver Arowana but never seen one that long whereas Koi's can

Point 2 -
    I have had Arowana in 3ft tank with a top filter (3x1.5x1.5ft), after certain size they do struggle a bit to turn ;-) . all they do is swim round and round :)

I have also had Arowana in 6ft tank , 4ft tank as well. At one time I had 12ft feet tank in my house. Crazy I know but hobbyist can go mad once you are hooked :-)) .

Arowana are territorial fish, therefore keeping more than one will be a challenge unless they are brought in at the same time and you have a large enough system as well. Sometime they get along and most often they will chase each other persistently until u start seeing injuries on the fish.

For Koi's if we only can keep one fish, than all we need is small space. However for koi watching them in a group is more pleasurable. Can't imagine seeing just one by itself in a pond.

So we need slightly larger space I suppose to give everyone a fair chance to grow.

As for the 1ton 1fish I guess it's mere guide for all your fishes reaching Jumbo sizes :) .

I recall one sifu's saying, you can keep as many as you want provided your feeding regim and filter can take it. Small pond small filter clean often. Small pond big filter, cleaning is less frequent. You take care of water and fish will take care of itself!

Just sharing.

Hi uncle Siva,
    Mine is in a 3x1.5x1.5 tank too, with overhead filter also :-))
    Silver arowana grow very big and fast, my old one grew from 6" to 15" in half a year.
    12 feet tank? No problem, that's why got koi kichis with 100+ ton ponds at home too :-))
  • sivakoisivakoi May 2013
    Yeah totally agree anyway just to share this was the 12ft tank

http://youtu.be/W-lkM2QoVTY
    True fish keeper ^:)^ ^:)^

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership