Egg impaction problems in kois
  • yysim88yysim88 October 2010
    Bro Aaron,

Yes there were some fluid but I wouldn't say it was full of the liquid like Andy's Showa.
  • JamesJames October 2010
    Bro Alan, maybe the practice of fasting for the koi will work like how it cleanses the human body too??
    Bro Andy,

Thanks for helping to repost the pic. I resized the pics from large to medium and the ( ) came out and I didn't know it would affect the image. Thanks for teaching me.

Bro James,

Some do practise fasting the koi for months so that the koi would reabsorb the eggs. Don't know whether it works. It sounds pretty cruel, maybe feeding with just little wheatgerm would help rather total fasting.

Cheers..
  • koikitkoikit October 2010
    Wheatgerm according to one Japanese breeder shud b given as staple (ESP in cold season) to help the digestion. Too must high protein food not good for koi too..

I feed Sakai wheatgerm daily, certain mth I feed 20%Sakai colour wit 80%wheat germs.. Fast them one or twice a week..

Sorry abt ur lost...
    Bro Alan, I think full fasting contrary to popular belief is not cruelty. Because like it or not our ponds will have some algae and kois feed on that... enough to get on and not taxing on the digestive system. The key is to ensure that the digestive system is not overworked....
  • ShukriShukri October 2010
    So far, what I have heard about fasting ie that the eggs will be readsorbed back to the body. So far, I have not seen nor confirm by the hobbyist here......
    Post edited by Shukri at 2010-10-21 09:35:42 am
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
    Hi Bro Kit,
    I feed my koi 33% wheatgerm, 33% colour and 33% growth starting last month. Thanks for your concern. I bought a Tancho today to replace the Showa I lost.

Hi Bro James,
    Wrong choice of word for me, Bro. James. What I meant is cannot resist not feeding la.

Bro Shukri,
    I read that somewhere, not sure whether it works.
  • ShukriShukri October 2010
    Hi Bro Kit,
    I feed my koi 33% wheatgerm, 33% colour and 33% growth starting last month. Thanks for your concern. I bought a Tancho today to replace the Showa I lost.

Hi Bro James,
    Wrong choice of word for me, Bro. James. What I meant is cannot resist not feeding la.

Bro Shukri,
    I read that somewhere, not sure whether it works.

Don't know about you guys, the hardest thing for me to do is when my kois come crowding at the water line near my feet with eyes blinking at me and the mouth open........melts my heart of stone la!.......sudah cair! So have to feed la..........
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
    If we want to fast a koi laden with eggs, better use QT, I think. Otherwise, the rest also need to fast, not fair leh..
  • farikfarik October 2010
    bros,
    this laden with egg thing has got something to do with hormone.... the feeds that we feed also contains small traces of hormone so therefore some are more then pthers. If the feed contains more soymeal protein then it contains more phytoestrogen that will actually increase egg production , the act of putting two males and the pregnant female also will actually increase the natural hormones to work...ie to ripen the vent to release the eggs.the hcg is the hormone that surges when an animal is pregnant but i'm not too sure on fish... need a vet to confirm.when it comes to drugs i can give some input.That's why i'm still experimenting with the few hormones that i feed the "Bunting"(overladen with eggs)koi.After seeing a few losses at ovaprim... will keep all the bros updated.... if you have candidates for me to experiment on do pm me..
    Bro Farik, pls check PM.
  • etanoetano October 2010
    Bro Alan,

You said "My Showa was one of those ferocious eaters. Ate like a Chagoi but hadn't really grown much in the last 6 months, still 66cm.". I think you should fast the fish for a long period of time when you spotted the bloated tummy. More food will just kill the fish. It is not unusual to fast a koi for more than 2 months sometimes a whole season. I suggest to isolate the fish and fast it in a fibre tank for 1-2 months (or given very little food) if you happen to have another like this in the future. Sorry for your lost.
    MyKoiKichi.com ~ A new koi blog.
  • AndySittAndySitt October 2010
    well bro I have a pond with many bloated tummy fish but lazy to isolate as I don't have space for a fiber tank.. over feeding seems ok to some fish but certain fishes just can't take it..
    Bro Elmen,

Only 1 QT at home, needed for new fish which is quite frequent still, you know my problem. No facility to fast the koi. Maybe I should get another QT and do as you suggest the next time I come across one. Thanks for the tip.

Come to think of it the net cage that we saw in Niigata can be used to isolate a koi in the pond. What do you think?

Does fasting really solve the egg impaction problem?

I was asking the supplier of Ovaprim here to look for a medication to inject the female koi so that it will not even produce eggs? It is like castration in the case of male? In commercial farming, they have a hormone that turns male to pondan by injecting female hormone. Maybe Bro Farik can give us some input on this.

Bro Andy,

I agree that overfeeding does not affect some fish but may accelerate the egg impaction problem in some koi. In my case I feed 0.7% of their body weight only.
    Post edited by yysim88 at 2010-10-20 07:57:58 am
    Bro Alan, I was about to suggest the net cage. Or like Bro Thiam Hwa's place I saw in the forum, partition the pond a little. In any case fasting of koi occassionally is good anyways. Like I said, it cleanses the body of toxins...
  • farikfarik October 2010
    Bro sim,
    yes it is true that in commercial farming, they give this hormone to make the male change sex.... this is the hormone that i'm experimenting with....but it is damn expensive.... in powder form 2gm is going for rm 700.00. it is used in the feed and given to the kois. so therefore with the same theory i'm trying to stop ovulation by feeding the female kois oral pills.this method is used for cats as well therefore it should work for kois....will keep u updated.
  • AnuarAnuar October 2010
    Bro Alan,

Long time no talk, glad to see you here.

Sorry for your loss, I had the same mishap earlier this year. Prior to her departure, I noticed that the vent was bulging out. Tried the frequent water change method but she got all tensed up and banged on the qt cover, it was a bloody experience - lasted 3 days only. Had no choice but to just leave her in the main pond. When I cut opened the gut, it was a similar sight as your photo.

BTW, did this experience make you change your feeding mix?

Regards.
    Bro Farik, ok the word is ovulation. I have given back all my biology back to my teacher. If u r able to stop the ovulation, then we are half way to solving the egg impaction problem. We are waiting for your good news. We will give you a Nobel Prize for that. Thanks, bro Farik..
  • koifankoifan October 2010
    Bro Sim,

Wow...you mean you need to press the belly of the fish the following day after injecting Ovaprim?
    Post edited by koifan at 2010-10-21 09:13:50 am

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership