Why do kois in a pond do not eat out of a sudden?
  • ShukriShukri May 2013
    I believe this phenomena do happen to your kois at one time or another.........
    Can you share your observations and reasons why? And how did you find out the reason (s)?
    And how do you over come the situation? Lets start the discussion going?
  • kominatokominato May 2013
    This happened to me when I was starting into kois. To get my bacteria going in my filter box I gave a severe overdose of starter baceria. It killed some kois and others went lethargic and wouldnt eat. Quick water change saved the rest. Phew !
  • HDCuHDCu May 2013
    Bro Shukri,

I list here several Observations over the years when kois might temporarily stop or reduce feeding based on their scheduled feeding time
    1. When there is a sudden increase in water temperature
    2. After a long power outage
    3. If filter is cleaned for more than an hour or two.
    4. If someone chases the kois to bowl them up
    5. If there was an accidental spawn.
    6. if some medicines are put in the pond

• ShukriShukri May 2013
    Bros Kominato and HDCu,
    Thanks for sharing.......... :-D
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • khongkhong May 2013
    Hi All,

It happened to me recently. The fish didn't come up to surface to feed after the "big brother" Matsuba died. Looks like the fish missed the leadership.

Few days after the fish not coming up to feed on the surface, I tried with sinking food and the fish was rushing to eat. It seems like they had good appetite to eat but just too scare to come up to surface.

Then, I added a Chagoi yesterday and the situation changed, all the fish follow the Chagoi to feed on surface, though they are still a bit shy.

For my case, I think it is was due to the missing of koi leader.
  • ShukriShukri May 2013
    Sounds like it Bro khong...........Yup! Leader fish situation la.......
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • ShukriShukri May 2013
    Do anyone of you had a similar situation as mind i.e. that when the pH drops, the fishes also kinda lost their appetite. Also I notice that when the nitrate level increase, the fishes also do not eat. Anyone has a similar situation?
  • niveknivek May 2013
    Chlorine in the water from forgetting to turn off the inlet pipe is another reason.
  • ShukriShukri May 2013
    Yup, agree with you Kevin...........dead kois due to chlorine poisoning definitely do not eat................. :-)) :-D Peace brother!!! Monday evening blues joke laaa!
  • HDCuHDCu May 2013
    Bro Shukri,

I do think the common denominator of many scenarios mentioned is STRESS. less stress better appetite unless of course you have a koi diagnosed with a compulsive eating disorder . :-))
  • kolampkolamp May 2013
    Disturbing the pond too much adjusting here & there can also makes my koi scared and doesn't want to eat for few days :-D
  • sleepymansleepyman May 2013
    During those days of NPS.. fishes were lethargic and refused to eat much..

Also, about 2 years ago,
    I had a sanke who was once ate well.. then she suddenly refused to eat for 2 weeks.. I thought she was merely spooked by something.
    Sadly, she took a flight back to Japan one early morning.

I found her at the bottom of my pond and she left with no physical injuries, only a slightly bloated stomach..

So bros, if your kois suddenly stop eating, please do not think they are going on a self-imposed diet.. it could be a warning sign.
  • ShukriShukri May 2013
    What if all the kois in the pond that suddenly not eating?
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar May 2013
    I had the few similar situation.
    1) When setup canvas tank for QT, there r times where water parameter goes havoc. I had changed 50% water and made continuous drip of 15% daily. After 3 rd day, all kois back to normal.
    2) First time setup diffuser, all kois got shocked, swim on opposite site of diffuser and stopped eating. After 3 days fasting, all of them back to normal and continue eating.
    3) Water temp too high
    4) pH goes down below 7
    5) Stress

For Most of the cases, fasting 2-3 days would solve the issue. Some with water changes, some with parameters adjustment like water changes or adding bicarbonate and so on

• BthineshkumarBthineshkumar May 2013
    What if all the kois in the pond that suddenly not eating?

Sifu, the common cause would b stress. It can b cause by water parameters, so we can adjust but Sometime unknown causes, that's when our stress goes way up ~X( . I'll add low dosage of S1 to reduce stress after water changes :)
  • smokersmoker May 2013
    It happened to me when the water quality drops, and when the sun is very bright and hot, that's why i'm planning to change the glass roof with sun louvre.

• waterwater May 2013
    Bro smoker, I am planning to do a glass roof over my pond too. So, you are changing it to sun lourve ? Have you consider putting a netting over the glass roof ?? By the way, where are you located ? would you mind if I can pay you a visit before I start work on my glass roof ??? Thanks.
  • smokersmoker May 2013
    Bro Water, if you haven't done it, i suggest you to consider thoroughly.
    I'm using a thick 10mm tempered glass and vkool-70 window film all over it.

Why I want to change is :
    1. As time goes by, the glass roof gets dirty, and when you can't stand it, you have to request some services to clean it routinely. And it's getting harder to rub and clean it.
    2. It's too bright that it's harder to enjoy the fish on daylight (it's probably better if you use darker window film or darker glass)
    3. When the day is hot, it's hot despite what window film we put.

I have asked the contractor to come yesterday to do some survey, as i want to change it without drying the pond and moving the kois, i want it to be well done with no hectic to the pond. So the contractor is asking some time to think thoroughly how to do it.
    If he have a way, i'm certain to change it and he can go on.

Bro, I'm in Indonesia, medan exactly, anytime if you want to pay a visit :-D

• waterwater May 2013
    Medan... So, JK must be your happy koi supplier. Anyway, one contractor recommended me a horizontal lourve product which can be closed and open when you want. When closed, it will keep the rain out and block the sun completely.

But it doesn't look as nice as glass when new. Is glass really that hard to clean ??

Anyway, I may be thinking of making a trip to visit you and JK then.... Thanks.
  • smokersmoker May 2013
    You mean JK Koi ? JK is in Jakarta, not medan.

Yes sun louvre can be closed and open anytime we want it, i am using it already, but not for the pond. It's a good quality product.

Glass roof looks nice when new, that was exactly my consideration why i chose glass roof hahahaha.
    Anyhow, just share my experience only, with my own circumstances, there are some hobbs that use glass roof and has no hard feeling with it. :)
  • boykoiboykoi May 2013
    I had this experience recenlty.bombed my pond with 2ppm PP to get ridof what i suspect was flukes and bacteria together.then after 4 hours,i placed back my K1 media then bombed HP on my pond,not knowing that HP as PP will kill the bio.next morning,all kois at the bottom,not eating and parking some with closed fins.i thought,maybe it was the sudden downpour the night before. when i took out my test kit,ammonia jumped to 2ppm,which is very toxic at my 8.2 PH pond!

20pct water changed my pond,no feeding for 3 days absolutlety.then after i started feed gradualy as my bio was zero timed,didnt put any starter at all as stocks ran out.then after,they resumed feeding,albeit slowly,i gradualy increased feeding up to the normal 5-6x bu just half the amount.the lesson here aside from all the reasons stated above was,the bio activity on the fiter was aletered,changed or abrubtly killed.so water parameters are always some of the culprits,aside from other external factors

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership