Waterco Bead Filtration System
  • ShukriShukri June 2013
    Hi everyone,
    A few hobbyists have asked me about the pros and cons of the system. What is good and what is not.
    Before I proceed further, I would like to inform you that I have not found a 100 % full proof system as yet.
    One system could be good in one way but not in another. So here goes:

1. The aquabiome (the heart of the Bead filtration) is really good for Biological filtration, eventhough that it can also
    do mechanical filtration. If you opt for both mechanical & biological filtrations, then you have to do a regular
    backwashing (which is not that hard to do). In my case, I use multicyclones that act as a pre filter (mechanical filter) before the water goes into the aquabiome. If you look at the recommendations in the flyers, the company gave
    certain guidelines. My recommendation if for you to use the model that is twice the size of the recommended
    capacity. In my case, I use the model that cater 3 times the size of my pond. My recommendation is to have a separate
    Mechanical filtration unit. This way, the aquabiome will take a longer time to be dirty. BTW, backwashing is a breeze.

2. For those that are converting from a traditional to a Bead filtration, my recommendation is to at least have a water chamber. The reason is that you can place the UV light and oyster shells here. The oyster shells is to act as a buffer in the event of pH fluctuations. In my pond, rapid pH down is a problem right now........

3. The down size is the electricity bill. So be prudent on the models and hp that you select for the water pump. I notice that a 1.5hp water pump is sufficient...............

After using the system for about a year now, overall I am happy with the Bead filtration system. No more back aches now.........

The fishes are healthy, and I do not have to wait that much water as compared to the previous traditional systems. The midge files are a lot less as well.
  • tswerntswern June 2013
    Bro Shukri,

I still find trouble trying to find a waterco dealer. They are so difficult to find. Called waterco and they directed me to one company. But the persons in charge are always no around. When called their hp, they asked call others.

Could help pass me the contact from which you got the waterco multicyclone.

Thanks in advance.
    Post edited by tswern at 2013-06-20 01:31:34 pm
  • HDCuHDCu June 2013
    Bro Shukri,

I have a some questions and hope you can give some insights.

1. Can I know what is the present nitrate level and the percent of water changes you are doing in your new filter setup now?

2. I have been talking to a hobbyist friend who installed two bead filters ( no cyclone prefilters)in his new pond instead of traditional setup like most and it took him around five months to get rid of nitrite readings even though he just had just five kois in his pond. The dealer of the bead filter says that is normal in most new ponds with bead filter setups. Why is this so and why did it take him too long for the filter to mature even though he was clearly understocked and not feeding kaw kaw?

3. If medicines like S1 or elbagin or low dose PP are applied to the pond with bead filter setups( following the recommended size of bead filter manufacturer to pond size), will the bead filter experience a long regression meaning it needs a long time again to mature as such normal feeding is not recommended. This is what I have been reading a lot from others who use it in other forums. Is there truth to this?

Btw, how can midge flies still be present in a closed filtration system? Shouldnt there be none?
  • MfwleeMfwlee June 2013
    I have had mine for a few months - and also have praise for the built in simplicity for backwashing etc. It has actually been fun to do - especially seeing all the gunk disappear effortlessly into the drain.

2 things still concern me though. My original concrete filters could keep themselves alive for a few hours in the event of a power cut - but I am not sure with my new WaterCo.

The gauge on top of the cylinder has shown zero from day one. Is this normal ?

tswern - Go to any of the Koi dealers in the Tropicana area - they all handle WaterCo and are very prompt with service.
    Mike Lee
  • J73J73 June 2013
    I have had mine for a few months - and also have praise for the built in simplicity for backwashing etc. It has actually been fun to do - especially seeing all the gunk disappear effortlessly into the drain.

2 things still concern me though. My original concrete filters could keep themselves alive for a few hours in the event of a power cut - but I am not sure with my new WaterCo.

tswern - Go to any of the Koi dealers in the Tropicana area - they all handle WaterCo and are very prompt with service.

The pressure gauge showing 0 means the flow is well and the vessel is not pressurized. In any event, if the vessel is clogged, the pressure should increase abit(depending of Pump head) for those who uses submersible pumps to operate the Aquabiomme, in the event the filter is clogged, i doubt the pressure gauge would show much difference, but a slight increase of 0-0.5 bar should be visible).
    Post edited by J73 at 2013-06-20 03:09:29 pm
  • tswerntswern June 2013
    Bro Mfwlee,

I got my aquabiome last year Feb. Now looking for the multicyclone. Yes, got mine from one of the koishops from Tropicana.

Maybe I should ask them again.

I have a settling chamber, brush chamber, mat chamber, oyster shell chamber for my gravity fed filter. The reason I got this aquabiome is because the pond is at my home town, and my 70 year old dad is managing it.

I am now wondering whether to empty all the chambers, whack one or two multicyclones in? Make sense?

Post edited by tswern at 2013-06-20 10:19:45 pm
  • JamesJames June 2013
    I am using bead in addition to my conventional filter. Water quality has improved and can handle much heavier feeding. As for koi quality, hmmmm.... I don't think there is an answer as yet associated with the bead.
  • ShukriShukri June 2013
    Bro Shukri,

I still find trouble trying to find a waterco dealer. They are so difficult to find. Called waterco and they directed me to one company. But the persons in charge are always no around. When called their hp, they asked call others.

Could help pass me the contact from which you got the waterco multicyclone.

Thanks in advance.

Bro, hummm! I will get back to you on the dealer that are interested for the business. What a shame............man!
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • ShukriShukri June 2013
    Bro Shukri,

I have a some questions and hope you can give some insights.

1. Can I know what is the present nitrate level and the percent of water changes you are doing in your new filter setup now?

2. I have been talking to a hobbyist friend who installed two bead filters ( no cyclone prefilters)in his new pond instead of traditional setup like most and it took him around five months to get rid of nitrite readings even though he just had just five kois in his pond. The dealer of the bead filter says that is normal in most new ponds with bead filter setups. Why is this so and why did it take him too long for the filter to mature even though he was clearly understocked and not feeding kaw kaw?

3. If medicines like S1 or elbagin or low dose PP are applied to the pond with bead filter setups( following the recommended size of bead filter manufacturer to pond size), will the bead filter experience a long regression meaning it needs a long time again to mature as such normal feeding is not recommended. This is what I have been reading a lot from others who use it in other forums. Is there truth to this?

Btw, how can midge flies still be present in a closed filtration system? Shouldnt there be none?

Excellent set of questions Bro HDCU.
    1. I am out of Nitrate tester kit at the moment, and have not tested the Nitrate level for a while to be honest with you. My suspicion is that the nitrate level is higher than the normal level, as I see blooming of carpet algae. I tried to do weekly backwash, normally about 10 to 15% water change. In the past before using the chiller, I use to do 24X7 water drip, but seldom these days as water drips affect the water temperature. The ammonia level and the nitrite level is within acceptable level. Only noticeable problem for me is the pH fluactuation. I am monitoring the levels almost daily for the pH.

2. During the NPS i.e. in the initial setup, it took me about 2 months before I can get the Nictro bacter colony going in the Bead filter. The Nitrosomonas was up by two weeks. I use Good bacteria starters for these purpose. Key to a faster colonization is higher levels of Dissolved oxygen. Why your friend took 5 months, honestly I do not know! Possibly he did not use any good bacteria starter............

3. I have used S1, PP and MG, bombed my pond in fact.........I find no unsual situation as compared to the traditional filtration.

4. The midge flies. These midges are plain impossible to get rid off. Previously, I had a tough time dealing with them. These days there are a few here and there. Because, I still have a water chamber and the water way for the water fall. These flies breed here and also in the pond...........
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • ShukriShukri June 2013

Lee, to chip in to answer the number two. I chilled my pond and with the low temperature, the water can hold the DO longer. And for those that use O2 Concentrator, the DO will also be a lot more. If you chill Plus O2 Concentrator, the DO will be in the water a lot longer......
  • MfwleeMfwlee June 2013
    " Lee, to chip in to answer the number two. I chilled my pond and with the low temperature, the water can hold the DO longer. And for those that use O2 Concentrator, the DO will also be a lot more. If you chill Plus O2 Concentrator, the DO will be in the water a lot longer...... "

No, I was not worried about the fish during a short power trip. No problems encountered if not longer than 3 - 4 hours.
    My worry is whether a similar power interruption will kill the bacteria in my WaterCo ? And if so ... how long an interruption can it take ?
    Mike Lee
  • ShukriShukri June 2013
    Bro Lee,
    Good concern and a good question. My take is that the good bacteria needs dissolved oxygen to thrive. The question is how long would the DO be in that enclosure? To be honest, I do not know. The largest unit ASM900, my guest is that it will last for a few hours. Lets find out from the Internet on whether there were studies done with regards to the issues.............
  • HDCuHDCu June 2013
    Bro Shukri,

From my understanding,
    Nitrosomonas growth stops when PH drops to 6.5 while all nitrifying acticity stops when Ph drops to 6.0. The nitrifying bacteria dies off when dissolved oxygen concentration goes down to 2.0mg/l. Assuming there was a long power outage and the buildup of biological waste in the bead filter is high and requires flushing, the remaining bacteria colony will quickly eat up the ammonia and nitrite buildup, lowering the Ph and the dissolved oxygen inside the bead filter where there is no running water. The question of how long would depend on how high the initial dissolved oxygen, the temperature, the normal Ph of the water and the amount of sludge inside the bead filter at the time of the power outage.

In open chambers, there is still some air surface contact while the bigger surface area of mats retain verymminute airbubbles( assuming the matts are aerated) allowing longer retention time of the oxygen in the water before it drops to 2.0mg/l.

Normally if it is more than two hour of power outage I flush out water inside all my chambers and let in the water coming from the bottom drain.
    Post edited by HDCu at 2013-06-21 04:48:37 pm
  • weihanweihan June 2013
    Hi all, I have been using two waterco unit for few months as well, it's really good and easy to maintain, however, for those who directly flush those dirts into drain, do check your bank wasted water regularly as one of my unit actually drained all the bead out without my notice... There was a hole there :-|

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership