• eugeneeugene August 2013
    Anyone here a regular user of FD Koi food? If so, can you share what were the benefits using FD vs say other "up and coming" brands like say Kokusai or even other established brands like Saki Hikari. I started using FD and aside from the price, I can't really see a Huge difference but then again, my fish aren't champion kois! :)

Hope to hear from you all. Thanks.
  • ashfaqashfaq August 2013
    I think, brother @Paul use FD koi food.
    Thanks,
    Ashfaq from India-Chennai
  • grinkz01grinkz01 August 2013
    bro smoker also using this brand and u can see his kois grow so well (aside from koi good genetic)....and so far all i heard is positive think for this food. only 1 thing is negative......pocket sucker......:-)

simple rule of thumb: price will never lie......good pellet always expensive but expensive pellet not to be meant always good.
  • frostbitezfrostbitez August 2013
    i think bro smoker just using kenkokanri hisilk+potato
    cmiiw
  • smokersmoker August 2013
    Bro Ming, i don't use FD yet.
    For koi food, i mix kenkokari hisilk, potato, saki hi grow and mizuho wheatgerm.

Though with the high price of hisilk here, i might be tempted to switch to fd primo after i finish the stock.
  • KaajKaaj August 2013
    Big Brother Paul Hooi and Super Big Brother David Soon both use FD - Build up and Primo Plus I believe. From what they had explained, they feed less using FD than other branded foods, as the absorption of FD is better. Hence although expensive, there is savings based on the amount utilised. Paul also seemed to believe that there was less excrement from his kois, which meant less load on the filters. I think if you can get a video of both their ponds - you will see that their kois are in great condition.

Here is a link to pauls chronicles :
    http://www.youtube.com/user/hooinc

Bro Paul, I hope you do not mind me sharing this information.
    Cheers,
    Kaaj
    Post edited by Kaaj at 2013-08-27 03:22:08 pm
  • HDCuHDCu August 2013
    Hi Bro Eugene,

I used FD food. Hi Growth. Color enhancer and Primo Plus(mixed) for more than eight months now.

Fed ten kois at just 0.5% to 0.6% of body weight per day with one day fast. i have several gosanke including one male grow from 50-58 cm to 67 to 71cm in that period without any problems of color breaking up or lightening up. Kois dont really like to instantly eat it ( as compared to other brands) but waste is much less and I have no problem with growth, girth and color even at low feeding rates. No need to push for growth with a lot of feeding. The color feed is not the fast acting "one week stronger beni "type but I thinks its better because there is no yellowing of shiroji and the color of the beni that it add is not dark red.,Also you can feed color mix with growth continuously provided you keep the water very clean. Primo plus will put volume and girth fast( you will notice it) but I do not recommend feeding much of it as the kois seem to loose appetite after awhile.

Btw, from what I heard there are unscrupulous imitiation of cheaper Fd manufactured in China and FD Japan is aware of this.
    Post edited by HDCu at 2013-08-27 04:48:18 pm
  • KaajKaaj August 2013
    Just an update, As discussed with Bro Paul last night, he has now switched exclusively to Kokusai for the past 4-5 months, with no noticeable difference in his koi (meaning the koi are still growing and area healthy, and less waste).

Kaaj
  • eugeneeugene September 2013
    Thanks for the replies guys.

I saw somewhere (think it was bro Paul's Youtube channel) where he said he has switched from FD to Kokusai. For those who have used FD and Kokusai, is it really true? No appreciable difference? i.e. Same growth, volume etc. If that's true, that would be excellent as FD food is super expensive.

Bro HDCu, Would you feed FD colour in a pond where there are Shiros? I have 3 in my pond together with showas, kohakus, ogons etc. I try to feed less colour because of the Shiros or if I do, I try to "target" the non-shiros by throwing the colour pellets at them. One of my shiros has already developed red spots. Am using Sakai Color food at the moment.

Eugene
  • HDCuHDCu September 2013
    Bro Eugene,

I have one shiro utsuri that is now at 72 cm. Its shiroji is one of the best among the gosankes with no beni spots. I mix like 45 percent Fd color.

Not all shiro utsuris have the same genetic makeup. The problem and challenge with shiro utsuri breeders is how to breed out this "beni defect" in their shiro because they KNOW that is it inevitable that shiro will be placed alongside with Gosankes in a majority of the ponds. Personally I think if they are someway grown in a green pond, they can easily see which shiro will be resistant or not to beni emerging.
  • megatronmegatron September 2013
    Any dealer is selling FD Primo plus in KL now?
    Don't ask me why!!!
  • lamthyelamthye September 2013
    saw it at Atari, Tmn. Desa. How true if Fd manufactured in China as per mentioned in the earlier comments?
  • eugeneeugene September 2013
    Wow Bro HDCu, you've given me the courage to go ahead with colour feeding. I've been very "stingy" with colour as i didn't want to ruin my remaining shiros. Have you used other colour foods with similar results? i.e. thinking of Sakai or even Kokusai.

Anyone used FD Primo Plus and then Kokusai's Wheatgerm? Would like a second (or 3rd) confirmation that there's no difference! :)

Eugene

p/s: You can get FD food now from Atarikoi.

• HDCuHDCu September 2013
    Bro Eugene,

I have used other color enhancing brands but not Sakai or Kokusai. Some are ok but causes yellowing and cannot be fed continuously to gosanke thereby this creates a guessing game of when to stop and when to start again as beni would intensify real quick but there would be no luster.

If you want to really test FD versus lets say Kokusai's wheatgerm, feed the least equal amount for both brands to see the difference. Every koi food brand nowadays will grow and bulk up kois if given enough. But what is enough? 0.5, 1.0, 2%, 3% of koi feed to its weight per day?
  • mangkellmangkell September 2013
    Mine reduced to 0.25% from 0.5% last year... :-D

9 months passing.... I think still enough laa... :-?

Better slightly less than slightly over feeding I think...
    Mickeyko Ducati-Kujamon Chagreemon Brabus#Sexy-Robust
  • megatronmegatron September 2013
    I used to feed FD Primo Plus Sinking until Atari no longer shipping in two years plus ago. Good to know that they continue now. I would say the result is pleasing to me so far.
    Don't ask me why!!!
  • SRathaSRatha September 2013
    I used to use exclusively FD Primo plus, then made a switch to an un branded high growth food from Max Koi. The results were similar. I really liked the Primo Plus at the beginning of my usage and was seeing ALOT of growth, I wish there were easier ways to get the Primo Plus for my case. Nowadays am using the Saki Hikari high growth and I am happy but not has happy as the FD.

My findings for FD is that i used to see as much as 1-2m gains a month for my kois, not sure how much thats gotta do with the genetics of the fish but results were incredible.
  • urbaneffectsurbaneffects September 2013
    May I know where to buy fd in malaysia?
  • CCLimCCLim September 2014
    Hi Friends, we at Aquagold Park JB have got FD Build Up Extra. Due to the high price, we bring in bigger lots to allow everyone to enjoy the benefits of this feed. Call 0175373815 for more info.
  • CCLimCCLim September 2014
    koianswers.com/discussion/download/16255/FD.jpg
    Attachments
    FD.jpg 96K

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership