How to sizing a filter for the pond
  • ckleecklee November 2013
    Sori to ask any sifu here had study how to sizing d filter n pump for a pond??Wht is d retention time??? :)
  • ShukriShukri November 2013
    Hi cklee,

For traditional filtration, rule of thumb is that the filter size to be 30% of the of the pond size. But with Bead filtration, the size is a lot smaller. What do you mean by retention time? I believe you have meant water turnover rate. Normally, hobbyists goes for between 1 to 2 turnover rate. A few even go for more than that. Example, if it is a 10 ton pond, and uses a pump with rating of 10,000 liters per hour, then the turn over is 1............
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
    Hi abang Shukri, actually i plan to make a new pond for next year. but i thk that 30% of the the pond is too big for me.i willing to keep more space for my kois....is that anyway to reduce the filter size but wit good efficiency??
    Regarding the retention time, can i say is volume/pump rate,how long for those dirt n partical to settle down in bottom of the filter??so that the water can clarifying in filter??
    (pls correct me if i was wrong)
  • ChengAunChengAun November 2013
    Hi uncle cklee, maybe you can do a 20% chamber filter type and then a bakki shower.
    Just my thoughts..
    Be updated in the world of koi. Jangankan seperti "Koi di bawah bottom drain"
  • MfwleeMfwlee November 2013
    After having seen many disasters experienced by people who went for marginal calculations, my humble advice is to go for the maximum - and definitely not less than what Bro Shukri has recommended.
    Koi grow, and we also tend to keep on adding. This will be fine, but up to a point. When things go wrong, they often do so very suddenly and tragically.
    Some of these tragedies come about because the koi have simply outgrown their filtration system unnoticed by ourselves, and in some cases, emergencies like power failure, water cuts, etc.
    Our hobby is for our enjoyment - not to be a cause of tension and misery when we find out that we have under planned ? :)
    Mike Lee
  • idrisidris November 2013
    Agree...build as big as possible ur filter chamber...do not compromise....
  • ChengAunChengAun November 2013
    True, after all, the filter is the heart of the pond, without it, the kois will perish. Goes back to the saying "look after the water and the koi's will look after themselves"
    Be updated in the world of koi. Jangankan seperti "Koi di bawah bottom drain"
    I thk i shld know wht to do already. Thks all sifu-sifu here!!
    And just want to share my happiness as my ginrin shiro just won a 1st price on last week ZNA koi show in 35bu.
    Thks God!!
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/14684/ZNA-2013-11-23-tategoi-9-DSCF5324.jpg
  • idrisidris November 2013
    Bro very nice ginrin ahiro....congrats...
    So so lah... :">
    Actually she also just won Singapore ZNA koi show Baby Champion at July.
    But I do believe many ppl hvin more nice koi just nvr join d competition only.. :)
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar November 2013
    Congrats bro
    Thks Bro!! :-D
  • ShukriShukri November 2013
    cklee, won twice cannot be a so so fish laaa! :-D
    Nurture the koi well so that it will be future champions....... :-D
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
    abang shukri, thats y i want to consider to do a new big pond as my pond now is very small...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

test