High Nitrate Issue
  • puathiantatpuathiantat November 2013
    Hi every bro, sis n Sifu :
    My pond is 1year+ up to date . The only problem I have is : High Nitrate issue...
    My maintenance for the pond is flushing daily n change around 20% of water . water source checked P.H 7 , No2 n No3 0ppm.
    I clean filter every two week or three week max. N will fast them 3-4 days when i do the filter cleaning period .
    My pond sizes approx : 2 tons including filter n currently super overstock which total of 12 Koi which sizes 4pcs x 50cm+- , 6pcs x 40cm+ n 2pcs x 30cm+- ... also go 2 algea eater (Bandar raya). Also my pond is expose to direct sun light without any shade.
    When I do water test every week also indicated that Nitrate will show around 80ppm ...
    I'd suspected now is my pond wall is very clean (dun have any algea on wall).
    My question is :
    Should I remove the algea eater ?
    If remove the algea eater , with the algea grow on the pond wall will help the high nitrate issue ?
    Please Advice !!!
    Thanks !!!
  • kominatokominato November 2013
    Hi bro, are your kois affected in any way.

What is the nitrate reading? Did you re confirm with another test method?
    Nope , the all the kois grow happily n the all eat well but what I'm afraid is the high nitrate issue will affect the color of the kois ... I've showa n shiro in my pond n the sumi look not well develop...
    last reading of nitrate is 80ppm by using API nitrate tester. also I had 2 sets of the API nitrate tester which show the same result =.="
  • niveknivek November 2013
    Can youbtake a photo to show your filter setup? Might be able to determine nitrate trap from there.
    Post edited by nivek at 2013-11-23 12:54:59 pm
    Frankly I wouldnt be too concerned as the kois are healthy and you are doing much much more maintenance than me...I dont bother to check anyway...just enjoy the hobby.
  • HDCuHDCu November 2013
    Hi Bro,

You should not concern yourself with nitrate levels but instead concern yourself with the extremely high stocking level of 14 fish including two plecos in a 2 ton pond environment. The high stocking levels regardless of your 20 percent water change will still result in high nitrate levels. One slip up like a power outage or skipping a maintenance period will instantly create instability which will stress the koi lowering their immune system, slowing down their growth, or hampering their color and shine to improve. Ph of 7 in a very high stocked pond also is very difficult to sustain and prevent ph swings.

I suggest you shade your pond to reduce water temperature. Remove the plecos as these add to the bioload. Reduce also the number of koi as well. Do not overfeed nor feed hi protein food. If possible add a bakki shower to cool the water and remove some nitrates.
  • MfwleeMfwlee November 2013
    Had the same problem - 7 ton sheltered pond, Nitrate levels close to 80 ppm on the API indicator. Reduced the number of koi, 20% weekly water change - levels dropped to closer to 40 ppm. Yahooo !

Koi began feeding like crazy, and growing fast. Nitrate levels again moving towards 80 ppm.

Solution ? - obvious filter overload, need to look at reducing koi again, or, do something with the pond and filter. Cheaper alternative is obvious - just a problem with heartache. (sweat)
    Mike Lee
    Increase filter size to more than 30% of pond.
    Will try to cull out some kois , any taker @ J.B area ?
    Also need to verify whether the algea eater ate all the algea creating the issue due no algea on wall , cause even after I wash filter n change almost 50% of water , the test result also indicated the nitrate level stand on 80ppm... If the algea on pond wall will help this then will remove those algea eater by tomorrow , anymore suggestion ???
  • HDCuHDCu November 2013
    Wall algae cannot reduce much the nitrate level which are produce by efficient anaerobic bacteria that convert the ammonia and nitrites that your koi, food and filter produce.
    You have the following options:
    1. Reduce the number of koi
    2. Clean your filter more often to reduce overactive filter
    3. Reduce the total feed or cut back on hi protein feeds
    4. Do more water change(this can however be already like a flow thru because of the high stocking levels)
    5. Add ceramic porous media and add heterotropic bacteria that eats up nitrates
    6. Bakki showers helps
    7. Anoxic filtration helps
    8. Denitrification filter helps
    got ur point bro HDCu ^.^
    Will add a DIY bakki shower to my pond soon !
    Water feed from last chamber to bakki tray ok ? or add a pump to pond direct to BS ? cause due to the filter intake rate issue , now that my pump run faster than the water feed to filter ... any suggestion ?
  • HDCuHDCu November 2013
    Bro,

Water feed from submerged filter IMO is better as it is already clean and only nitrate need to be remove. Dip the porous ceramic media of the bakki in heterotropic bacteria added to a sugar solution for a day or two so that the bacteria multiply already in the inner structure of the media before transferring it on the bakki. Results is not instant but over time nitrate should slowly drop. The more layer of media in the bakki the more effective it will be.
    Noted , thanks for the info bro !
    forget to ask , suggested pump rate ? 1x or 2x pump ?
  • HDCuHDCu November 2013
    What do you mean 1x or 2x? For submerged filter the longer the retention time in the filter the better. But since you are overstocked you need to have a faster turnover to remove ammonia as soon as possible and to maintain high dissolve oxygen. The good thing is that bakki is good for a fast turnover. However, a slower flow rate in the bakki column will result in faster drop of nitrate IMO
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar November 2013
    Wah, 14 fish ah bro?? Too overstock leh

You hv to cull and maintain low stock and all advice from bro HDCU is important bro :)
    Noted !
    Bro TK ... I've nothing to say banghead
  • ckleecklee November 2013
    Bro HDCU,
    May I know you are from which area? ?
  • ShukriShukri November 2013
    Pua is from Johore...........
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • idrisidris November 2013
    Bro hdcu is from Philippines
  • ckleecklee November 2013
    bro Idris,where r u come fr??

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership