What's the major factor that cause koi jump ?
  • puathiantatpuathiantat December 2013
    Found out 1 of my shiro sizes 25cm+- jump out n died ... wonder will this cause by raining ? Here @ my place start raining since yesterday night ...www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/14739/2013-12-02 19.07.49.jpgwww.koianswers.com/discussion/download/14740/2013-12-02 19.08.10.jpg
  • niveknivek December 2013
    1) Fright / spooked
    2) Water condition - not optimal
    3) Bacteria
    4) Salinity
    5) Introduction of new koi

to name a few :)
    Post edited by nivek at 2013-12-03 10:32:56 am
  • ckleecklee December 2013
    Oso..
    1)New enviroment at the pond 90 degree conner.
    2)Rain water flow in with high volume
  • frostbitezfrostbitez December 2013
    1.water condition (high ammonia, pH fluctuation, low DO, temp fluctuation)
    2.new pond (lot smaller pond)
    3.parasites
    4.spooked/stress issue

• BthineshkumarBthineshkumar December 2013
    1) sudden lost of vision (adding in clay in the morning)
  • jimlimjimlim December 2013
    Bthineshkumar,

I learned new thing... i used to add in clay during day time.
    If there is possible of fish jumping due to poor visibility. I better not do it day time then.
  • ShukriShukri December 2013
    All the possible reasons I believe have been shared here. All these kind of irritate the external to the fishes including irritation to the gills......... can't no longer stand the itchiness! And they will jump............. If they are suddenly spook, can also result in the kois jumping out of the pond...........
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
    Bro Jim,

Yes, my koi almost jumped out but as i was there, manage to block it and back to pond. I got a shock of my life. Since than, only night time clay to pond and I pour gradually. As Sifu shukri said, clay also can irritate gills. Poor visibility + itchy gill = b-(
  • KaajKaaj December 2013
    Bro kumar,
    How are you pouring the clay in ?
    I have been using clay for years, and have never experienced trouble with the koi....

Kaaj
    Hi Bro Kaaj,
    I mixed the clay in bucket and pour all in one go at one corner (daytime). This had scared the koi and had caused them to jump out.

Nowadays I only pour the clay during night time. I mix half clay in the bucket and pour all round the pond. After 30 min to 1hour, balance half to the pond.
    Bro Pua,
    from the photo, looks like the shiro had very bad ulser before jump out. And some serious damage to tail fan = bacteria attack. Check the water parameter and other kois condition and add in medication accordingly

TK
  • jimlimjimlim December 2013
    Thanks Bthineshkumar !
    Learned something important today ! (Y)
    (Y)
  • nocturnalnocturnal December 2013
    sorry for ur loss Bro Pua :-(
    this has always been the sad part of the hobby.... need to build a bigger pond soon, all the reasons given can be connected to the small water volume of ur pond overstocked with ur collection.

Bro Tk :)
    can u point out where is the open wound on the shiro? i failed to see any
  • ShukriShukri December 2013
    I see there is redness towards the last third of the Shiro.........
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
    i see that too Abang Shukri.
    those can also be caused by the fish flipping/struggling out of water on that surface
    thanks for the info bro !
    Bro TK , Bro Shukri n Bro Adik : when I 1st saw the redness n the tail fan , I thought it might be sick or something ... but after monitoring the other , most likely not . other still swim active n hunger for food when I get close (rock)
    Bro Adik : the redness on body n broken tail fan most likely cause by struggling cause when I found the koi , it stuck @ the very tight space in my filter banghead
    Bro TK : I've experience once pour the clay @ night time n one of my shiro (sumi kau kau 1) also jump out but luckily I was around so it been safe #:-s After that I cut the dosage down then ok d :-D
  • mustainemustaine December 2013
    fisrt time i'm heard about clay for koi fish
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/14741/photo.JPG

http://www.refresh-jp.com/ei2.htm

Bro Mustaine :)
    u can read all about it here, this is the most well know brand amongst koi kichi. there are other brands too from Japan, US & the ones use in the aquaculture industry locally. i have used few of them & notice the ones from aquaculture industry are less refine & has grainy bits, the cause of irritations when came in contact with fish gills. easy way to tackle this problem is to pour the clay (need to prepare it - mix with water in a bucket) in settlement chamber & let the jmats trap the grainy bits. another practice is mix with water in a bucket, wait for the grainy sediments to settle & only pour the water mixture & not the grainy bits.
    u won't have this problem with the brand above :)

hope this helps :)

adik
  • ChengAunChengAun December 2013
    Sorry to hear about your loss.... I see reddishness nearer to the tail of the fish, was the fish in good health before this happened?
    Be updated in the world of koi. Jangankan seperti "Koi di bawah bottom drain"
    Yes bro CA , the fish show very active b4 ... hai ...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

test