how to make the water green
  • idrisidris January 2014
    Have heard some sifu saying green water good for koi...I have try two weeks switching off uv light but the water turn to cloudy a bit...when I turn on back the uv in 1 day in turn to be crystal clear..is the cloudy is part of the process before the water turn to green?
  • JamesJames January 2014
    Which sifu said green water good for koi lol??
  • kktankktan January 2014
    lol yaya whis ? :-D
  • ChengAunChengAun January 2014
    Green water is supposedly one of the best ways for vibrant colours especially the hi of the koi, that's why colour food is primarily made with spirulina, which is an algae product. Mudponds also have green water, though of course in which case the clay itself also adds to the benefit. (In my own humble opinion)
    If I'm not mistaken, the water turning cloudy is part of the process, then it will soon turn a very light greenish then to a nice dark (but not too dark) green.
    But this is quite a big sacrifice to do in your display pond, usually the process is to have a separate tank/pond with green water and choose some of the fishes that you wish to groom in green water.
    Post edited by ChengAun at 2014-01-04 10:37:01 pm
    Be updated in the world of koi. Jangankan seperti "Koi di bawah bottom drain"
    Uncle CA. I was the advocator of that la... So jus curious who else said it out loud!! :-))
    Kktan....dont understand whats u saying...

James...if im telling who then I no need to quote sifu right? Hehe

Bro ca..tq for explanation....I have 3 ponds and I can have 1 to test...hehe...since I got most of koi doitsu, im thinking other method to maintain and sustain the color by not just depending on color food and chiller..
  • ChengAunChengAun January 2014
    Uncle @james OH HAHAHHHAHAAHA oops my bad :-))
    Be updated in the world of koi. Jangankan seperti "Koi di bawah bottom drain"
  • HDCuHDCu January 2014
    I do have a hard time turning to green water as I do not even have UV lights. I was thinking this summer i will pound spirulina koi food to tiny bits and throw it in the pond and then dont clean the mechanical filter for a week to jumpstart green water.
    Ur situation is harder than me bro hdcu...anyway do updates if its works...
  • Andrewng82Andrewng82 January 2014
    Idris, James, I met you both at bro Pandai house rite ?
  • pandaipandai January 2014
    Bro Andrew, yes you did. You would surely remember them...! ;-)
    Get Kenkona Koi and Kenkona Bio at special price online at http://kenkonakoi.blogspot.com/
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar January 2014
    http://koiclubsandiego.org/library/green_water.php

Here's a discussion how to make the water green and vise versa.
    Apparently if u change lots of water and clean up ur bead/media frequently, water would change green rather than not change water.

I increased my water drip 20% on top my weekly water change and clean bead daily to have better water clarity. My pond water end up green :-p
    Now reduce water drip and clean bead every 3 days once. Water slowly changing back :)
    Bro TK, Penang water is the myth then. :-)) Comes with algae.

Bro Andrew, yes it was me at bro pandai's.
  • HDCuHDCu January 2014
    Bro TK,

That article is misleading because first it involves a bead filter as both acting as a mechanical n biofilter. Cleaning it daily removes the bacteria thereby enough nutrients feeds the algae instead of the heterotrophic or anaerobic bacteria that colonizes the filter media. Also not flushing often creates a dam effect and filters finer fines. IT also does not mention about the nutrient in the source water(ph, carbonate, nitrate, phosphate, etc.) that can feed the algae.
  • ikankoikauikankoikau January 2014
    Pond green water and mud pond green water is different. The nutrient will never be the same.

House pond normally is kept crystal clear so that we can enjoy viewing our kois and easier to spot any infection on our koi. But the choice is still up to individual. Some with high spec show koi will not mind having green water and get whatever benefits that available. Like bro Idris for example :-D :-))
    The idea came when few people who went to breeders place saw they preparing their show kois in green water..and its a concrete pond..IMHO of cause its different comparing house pond green water n mud pond green water...but perhaps if its close too..then no harm to try I guest..

• ikankoikauikankoikau January 2014
    Just try bro. Got 3 ponds to experience. (Y)
  • cubercuber January 2014
    Does green water really good for the kois? Previously I've accidentally made this happen with my pond, turned off the UV and applied kenkona koi to the pond. The second day the pond turned cloudy and slightly greenish, by the 4th day the whole pond turn green, and I could only see the koi when they surfaced to eat the floating pellets.
    I panicked and tried a lot of things, thought that I could make it clear like before just by turning on the UV, unfortunately it's not working.

In the end, after a lot of testing, I found out the UV is the culprit, unfortunately the UV is not working. Found it out when out of desperation I added 2 more UV (previously I had 2 in the filter chamber), and slowly but sure the water turn to clear like before. Took out the 2 broken UV and it stay clear until now.

But does green water really good for the kois? It does however caused a problem with the visibility of the pond.
    The clarity is out of the question here..if we looking in to clarity then green water is not an option...im not thinking to the display pond but at the quarantine pond..mybe keep the koi 1 or two month there...

Captain...yes will try it at the small pond...
  • lautslauts January 2014
    In most pond and water management literature , green water is a problem not benefit. This cos the underlying causes of green water mainly over exposure to sunlight and excessive nutrients in water like nitrate , phosphates are not exactly good for kois/ fish. But sometimes even when all these causes are not present water still turns green. And maybe this could be beneficial if the correct algae is present , also minerals in water . It would help the shy kois to be more daring in this darker environment. i can see the reason for better kois emerging from these ponds but i also can see more disadvantage like not able to see / enjoy the kois and more importantly spot any issues like sinking and ulcers .

ts

• ray2kray2k January 2014
    Oxygen depletion is another problem. Need to aerate more especially at night when the algae consume more oxygen.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership