New Year, New Koi
  • wklimwklim February 2014
    Happy Chinese New Year!

Bros, I'm looking to add 2 more pcs to my collection for the new year :)
    Please give your opinion which kohaku and Hi Utsuri tosai will you choose from the lot below? They are around 17-19cm.

www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/15047/IMG_3012.jpg
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/15046/IMG_3011.jpg
  • brianlawbrianlaw February 2014
    Kokahu - the right one :)
    Thanks, bro Brian :D One of my favourite too!
    Bros, any comments on the hi utsuri?
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar February 2014
    Same here,

Kohaku: the one on right

Hi-Utsuri:Non of them attracts much, but among the four, the one on the left looks better. If you're not in hurry, skip this batch.

Cheers
    Bro Bthineshkumar, thanks for the confidence vote for kohaku :)
    As for hi-utsuri, just as I thought.... tail area seems too black to me and really groping in the dark cos first time choosing this variety!
    Cheers
  • koiBoykoiBoy February 2014
    Hi bro, yes my pick would be same as bro TK, as for the Utsuri, my preference would be not so much of a dark head (less sumo on head) will make the individual look cleaner and more attractive, also the pattern of the fishes.

my 2 cents!
    Cheers!
  • MfwleeMfwlee February 2014
    From a self confessed " pond " person - should we be concerned about a possible receding of the red as the koi on the right grows ? Maybe we should also look at the sides ? :/
    Mike Lee
    Thanks, bro koiBoy :) agreed on the utsuri head pattern as well, which will be the upward facing pc... or continue my search.

Bro Mfwlee, good pt and frankly, I don't know for sure.
    But with my older koi, I observed the beni stretches with growth and proportionate (pattern virtually unchanged from tosai stage). But then again, different breeder, different batch... so maybe time will tell.
    Btw, all kohaku above have beni stretching max to side lateral line, or exceed just a bit. My selection criteria :)
    Bros, just an update that I bagged all 3 kohaku and 1 hi utsuri (facing up piece)... the price to pay for being indecisive :-))

Thanks for all your input and comments! :)

• MfwleeMfwlee February 2014
    Congratulations ! Just a further small point for your consideration.
    You seem to have koi with significantly different sizes - looks like you will need mixed pellet sizes when you feed ?
    Years ago when I had the same different sized assortment - I used the smaller sized pellets until the fellas had a chance to grow. My smaller fellas grew faster, and almost caught up after about 11/2 years !
    :)
    Mike Lee
    Thanks a lot, Bro Mike! :) yes, I have changed my feed to medium and large pellet mix.
    You can see the tosai trying to grab large pallet, but cannot fit in the mouth. I think probably at least 25cm to take large size.
    Yes, 11/2 yrs is now my challenge, although I really hope the bigger ones will not let them catch up so soon! ;)
  • niveknivek February 2014
    Congrats bro Lim (Y)
    Thanks Bro Kevin! :)
  • wklimwklim April 2014
    It's pond servicing time again and couldn't wait to take a closer look at the tosai development :-D
    I had been feeding heavily and the tosai measure around 34cm now. A bit concern whether the body of one of the kohaku can hold up though...

Sharing the better photos and video with bros here :)

www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/15474/IMG_29101.jpg

www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/15473/IMG_29201.jpg

• sleepymansleepyman April 2014
    Hey bro,

Nice bulky bodies you have on the tosais!

Good to see the updates!

btw, which farm brings in Igarashi tosais?
  • wklimwklim April 2014
    Thank you, Bro sleepyman :)
    I have sent you a PM as well.
  • sleepymansleepyman April 2014
    Hey bro,

since you are in singapore, must ask you go for show ya.

Dropped you a PM too ;-)
  • wklimwklim April 2014
    Yes bro, I will be there with my kids :)
    As for participating, I hope one of these days with a good enough koi...
    Good to know one more SG kaki ;-)
  • grinkz01grinkz01 April 2014
    Wow...very nice bulky body. But i am a bit worry with over stretched beni...
  • ShukriShukri April 2014
    Yup, be careful on the stretched Beni........... once gone, kind of hard to come back. Happened a few times to my favorite kois...........especially kohakus.
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • wklimwklim April 2014
    Thanks a lot for the advice, Bro grinkz01, Bro Shukri :)
    The dealer did warn me he is not familiar with this batch and got to wait and see the beni... will try feed less, colour food only and always, better water quality.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership