New Pond install in Thailand, to share and any suggestions for the filter materials.
  • iroc4lifeiroc4life February 2014
    The pond setup is:
    Waterfall / Skimmer pump = 6000 GPH External
    Submersable Filter Pumps = 2 Each 4500 GPH
    2 each 9" Air Diffusers mounted on the 2 each 4" BD
    4500 LPH Air pump

Planned filter setup will be:
    1st Chamber Settling chamber
    2nd chamber = 20 each 1m Filter Brushes
    3rd Chamber = Japanese Mat stacked Green-Black-Green-Black
    4 Chamber Pebble stones, crushed coral and oyster shells
    5th Chamber Pump Chamber
    6th Chamber Dry with BD from each chamber and sump pump for cleaning
    Thanks for letting me share and any comments you may have.... Nice to join you and learn...
    koianswers.com/discussion/download/15097/1618015_713375452028821_1047879494_o.jpgkoianswers.com/discussion/download/15098/1092243_720039074695792_1988079920_o.jpg
  • HDCuHDCu February 2014
    Welcome to koianswers Bro.
    Just basing on the pics, i feel the last chamber will experience a big drawdown drop in water level especially if you put these kind of media you propose because it seems you not only have one four inch transfer pipe but three powerful pump installed.
    Consider heavily aerating all the biomedia. Uv and some shade may be necessary.
    Do remember the filter is a toilet. Failure to remove koi waste deteriorates koi water as water is a solvent and all organic waste will dissolve in the water. Relying in ammonia, nitrite, ph test kit is just half of the equation. Good Luck.
    Thanks for the input,
    I initially filled the pond after construction and with only the crushed coral and oyster shells in the 4th chamber system, the draw-down was minimal to non existant at the pumps. Do you think the japanese mat will slow the flow that much?
    A little info about the pump system and BD. There are 2 4" Bottom drains leading to the settling chamber, then 2 4inch pipes joining the settling chamber to the brush chamber, then 4 4inch pipes leading into chamber 3, from there it goes under the wall via a 8" gap in the divider wall from chamber 3 to chamber 4. The wall from chamber 4 to the pump chamber is half the height of the other chamber walls. The waterfall pump pulls 90% of its flow from the 2 skimmers but has an additional 2" suction line in the pump chamber as well, with valves to control the suction from the pump chamber. There is a UV Light in the waterfall line, not sure if the wattage on it as the builders put it in while im away.
    Im also installing 2 5mx5mx5m Triangle shade sails over the pond for shading all day, it gets hottttt here in thailand in a month or so.
    Waterfall circuit
    koianswers.com/discussion/download/15099/Untitled.png
    Better picture of the layout
    koianswers.com/discussion/download/15100/upyvy3e5.jpg
  • niveknivek February 2014
    Nice pond. Just be careful of the step blocks that might injure bigger kois that might try to squeeze through to the other side.
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar February 2014
    Welcome to the forum bro.

My suggestion on the filter:

1st Chamber Settling chamber
    2nd chamber = 20 each 1m Filter Brushes - ok
    3rd Chamber = Japanese Mat stacked Green-Black-Green-Black - ok
    4 Chamber = Pebble stones, crushed coral and oyster shells.

Suggest you swap this with bio ring and bacteria house. Crushed coral would continuously increase pH, and hard to clean. Bio ring and bacteria house has better surface area than pebble stone. If you do not have space for oyster shell, you may put it at 5th chamber.
    Add in aeration in this chamber as well.

5th Chamber Pump Chamber . Add in Oyster shell, and UV light

6th Chamber Dry with BD from each chamber and sump pump for cleaning
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar February 2014
    Thanks for the input,
    I initially filled the pond after construction and with only the crushed coral and oyster shells in the 4th chamber system, the draw-down was minimal to non existant at the pumps. Do you think the japanese mat will slow the flow that much?
    A little info about the pump system and BD. There are 2 4" Bottom drains leading to the settling chamber, then 2 4inch pipes joining the settling chamber to the brush chamber, then 4 4inch pipes leading into chamber 3, from there it goes under the wall via a 8" gap in the divider wall from chamber 3 to chamber 4. The wall from chamber 4 to the pump chamber is half the height of the other chamber walls. The waterfall pump pulls 90% of its flow from the 2 skimmers but has an additional 2" suction line in the pump chamber as well, with valves to control the suction from the pump chamber. There is a UV Light in the waterfall line, not sure if the wattage on it as the builders put it in while im away.
    Im also installing 2 5mx5mx5m Triangle shade sails over the pond for shading all day, it gets hottttt here in thailand in a month or so.

As Bro HDCu said, possible draw down is from settlement chamber to 2nd chamber. Same as input. Add in two more 4inch pipe would settle the problem.

I would suggest not to draw from skimmer to waterfall. All surface dirty water would go back to pond. Suggest let the water from skimmer either directly go to drain or to settlement chamber. Only draw your water for waterfall from your last chamber.

Cheers and Gud luck bro :)
    Thanks for the welcomes and advice, I will plan on testing the draw-down once the koi farm people have completed their assessment of the pond and done the filter changes as I have them coming this weekend to make suggestions and run some tests on the water before putting in the test fish.... Thanks again
    Update: Well the Koi Import Farm came out today and drained and cleaned the pond with vinegar, currently circulating. They plan to totally redo the filtration system setup :( Will update with what they do and how they set it up.
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/15117/1900958_721646551201711_439806122_o.jpg
  • HDCuHDCu February 2014
    Are the steps place within the pond necessary. It will give you more problem. Removing it and maybe placing an overhead bridge is more appropriate because it automatically doubles ( especially bigger koi )surface area to swim and grow. And remove any impediments that may damage the side scale of the koi especially if you ever get to have parasite problems. The steps also acts as a dam where detrius will settle.
    Post edited by HDCu at 2014-02-11 10:31:08 pm
  • puathiantatpuathiantat February 2014
    nice house (Y)
    The steps for me are a must, There is approximately 1/2 a meter between the steps below water line, I believe its plenty for the Koi to swim through and around. Have seen a lot worse in ponds with no mishaps. Thanks
  • iroc4lifeiroc4life March 2014
    Post edited by iroc4life at 2014-03-01 10:53:06 pm
  • melvvvmelvvv March 2014
    Bro, very nice pond...no shelter? will have problem with Algae in future....

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership