Jumbo Tosai Discussion & Learning
  • KekwaKekwa April 2014
    Wow bro pb, your last statement indeed open me to the ugly side. But to be realistic, dealers n farms want to convert their fishes to $$$$. Some will do it the right way, while some may not
  • pohbengpohbeng April 2014
    haha...end of day....

I buy fish based on what I like...
    use eye to choose fish...not ears.

forget about the name, forget about the cert.
    have faith and trust in your dealer(s)... :-D

they make their money...we enjoy our hobby....
    the rest of stuff, just ignore it!
    ;-) :)
    Post edited by pohbeng at 2014-04-17 02:12:14 pm
  • ShukriShukri April 2014
    At the end of the day............ all of us will grow up. The more we learn, the more we know, and the more we know, kind of hard for people to trick us.......
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • kolampkolamp April 2014
    From this hobby that I've learned, the more we know, the less we buy...but less doesn't mean we can save some money :p
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar April 2014
    Less we buy in quantity, but monetory wise, more and more expensive koi :-)) :-))
    Ya ka Kolamp and BT? :-D
    Surely not far from the truth........ :-))
    Post edited by Shukri at 2014-04-17 06:37:16 pm
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • grinkz01grinkz01 April 2014
    If we ask ourselves...assuming price is exactly same and koi quality is 99% same, which one are u choosing? Jumbo tosai or tosai? I believe for every created market there will be targeted segment. Question is who is the targeted segment and why they willing to buy for such a different size in very young age? Koi may reach 5 years or more with proper caring and between 1-5 year is really a long journey. Why do we want to pay more? If u ask me, wit my very limited knowledge and experience i will select bigger one, with hope she can grew faster. But when it priced at >50% higher than ordinary tosai, i will go to tosai and let time decide its future growth...
  • frostbitezfrostbitez April 2014
    @bro grinkz
    maybe if it is cost 50% more i'll go with JT (almost the same quality)...we get better chance at appetite for food and less chance to get male koi (at 30cm ++ size it is easier to look for fish sex)
    just my 2 cents
    IMHO, I don't care they are jumbo tosai or tosai. I just look for best strong body within the group and interesting skin/pattern. Sooner or later they would grow big. :-))
    Jumbo tosai doesn't mean become jumbo immediately, it will take time to groom them.

My jumbo tosai Showa 35 cm after two years 55-60 cm, my tosai karashi of 20 cm after 15 months 65 cm ++, still worry on Jumbo tosai bro?? :-))
    i will take ur opinion as my brainwash bro TK.....really not worthed to pay very high for just what so called as JT
    TK and Bro Ming,
    I use to go for Jumbo Tosais, but nowadays I am relax a bit...... Am still eyeing for the good body even at Tosais, but these days I look at the over all quality too. These days, I will go for Nisais rather than Tosais.......... save money in the long run........

Look who is talking right!!! :-D

But of course growing from Tosais are a lot of fun........
  • wklimwklim April 2014
    I also agree with Sifu Bros that a trusted dealer, who knows his koi, counts most.

In my 1st hobby year, I used to buy quite a lot of gosanke "jumbo tosai", but after 2+ yrs the biggest koi (sanke) was around 61cm. On hindsight, I should have guessed from the pricing as well.

I almost give up on my 3-ton pond, until a dealer asked about my situation and showed me 2 sanke from an overcrowded pond. I was very hesitant when he told me they were male, nisai (18 months) and measured only 30cm... but the dealer said no harm trying.

www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/15510/20110625_30-32cm.jpg

Try I did and after 3 yrs, the bottom-most sanke is now 75cm in my pond :)
    It's not jumbo by any means, but it's a good feeling to grow out the fish and hopefully more years to come.
    Post edited by wklim at 2014-04-19 10:21:43 pm
    bro wklim..inspiring story......3ton can grow 75cm...superb keeping must be! do u have recent pict of the sanke?

note: kohaku on top is stunning piece also.
  • wklimwklim April 2014
    Thanks a lot, Bro grinkz01 :)

Sorry I did not take any photos when measuring last week, but will share the next time around (prob during pond servicing). However, I have an old video of this sanke back in Nov 2012, measuring 67cm:

I wished I knew exactly what I did right/wrong in the keeping... I just made sure to flush the filter weekly and feed quality pallets. I think the remaining 90% is with the fish :)

Bro, the "kohaku" is actually a male sanke ;) Also in my pond, but not growing at fast as the above piece.
    There you go.......... who says tha male cant bulk up and grow big....... :-D
  • wklimwklim April 2014
    Bros, just to share and hope I can come back to update this thread with personal experience...

I visited my dealer today and we spoke about this jumbo tosai topic. He then showed me 2 tosai (30cm & 33cm, unknown gender), which he thinks has good chance of growing >70cm with quality:

www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/15526/IMG_30196.jpg

www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/15527/IMG_30343.jpg

I couldn't resist and bagged the smaller kuchibeni for my OVERCROWDED pond banghead

It cost me more than 2 Ikarashi kohaku tosai I got recently... the trust with my dealer is again put to the test...
  • KekwaKekwa April 2014
    My jumbo tosai Showa 35 cm after two years 55-60 cm, my tosai karashi of 20 cm after 15 months 65 cm ++, still worry on Jumbo tosai bro?? :-))

Bro, we are discussing on gosanke here.
    Chagoi and karashi grow jumbo no surprise lah

Bro, we are discussing on gosanke here.
    Chagoi and karashi grow jumbo no surprise lah

Even Gosanke, my Showa tosai of 20 cm become 60cm ++ for Nisai wo :-)) :-))
    Very good TK.........

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership