Jumbo Tosai Discussion & Learning
  • frostbitezfrostbitez April 2014
    My jumbo tosai Showa 35 cm after two years 55-60 cm, my tosai karashi of 20 cm after 15 months 65 cm ++, still worry on Jumbo tosai bro?? :-))

Bro, we are discussing on gosanke here.
    Chagoi and karashi grow jumbo no surprise lah

Even Gosanke, my Showa tosai of 20 cm become 60cm ++ for Nisai wo :-)) :-))

nice bro...
    how about 60cm gosanke tosai? :-D
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar April 2014
    Thanks Sifu Shukri, it's a good jumbo potential. Only problem, beni strecth even if i control feeding and feed color food. So for now going slow for this lady.

Bro Frost, tosai 60cm??? Well my pocket not that deep for that wo. I might as well enjoy it in photos :-))
  • frostbitezfrostbitez April 2014
    @bro kumar
    cant get that size from japan farm bro...if it is good quality surely they kept for tategoi or future oyagoi my pockets are not that deep also hahaha

i my self never grow tosai that big before the biggest tosai i ever grown is about 55cm so far...but now i got kohaku (17cm at december) that might be have potential to grow to that size (hopefully :P)
    now it has size around 41cm at 8 months (birth date on certificate august 13)
    can it still have good skin and overall quality if growing that fast?
    before i am targeting 55cm at end of tosai year, but 60cm? challenge accepted! :D :D :D

will update later bro!
    han

• ShukriShukri April 2014
    TK,
    Well in life, the faster growers have stretch mark laaaa....... cant be helped!!! :-D
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar April 2014
    :-)) :-)) Agree
  • frostbitezfrostbitez May 2014

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x281/hanjayasalim/kohaku1_zpse3676340.jpg
    update on kohaku tosai ^_^ 40.5cm
    this kohaku get 2nd prize at 40bu last month at koi show in indonesia...not bad i think since i heard that the 1st prize was bought at 300.000Yen
    Post edited by frostbitez at 2014-05-04 06:39:41 pm
  • ShukriShukri May 2014
    Bro frostbitez,
    Nice looking Kohaku there....... nice 3 steps with Maruten. Love the Shiroji. The Kohaku is still young, I like the kata area.....will eventually develop a hump there which will be nice....

Please give an update from time to time..........
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • niveknivek May 2014
    Bro frostbitez, really nice Kohaku (Y)
  • KekwaKekwa May 2014
    Nice Hi and sharp Kiwa as well. But this khk may remain short and stout.
    So 2nd prize bought at how much xxxxxxyen? :-D
  • ShukriShukri May 2014
    Kekwa,
    Any reasons in your opinion that you have observed that this koi should be short and stout? Please share..........
    Post edited by Shukri at 2014-05-05 12:42:52 pm
  • HDCuHDCu May 2014
    Bro frosbotez,

Congrats on your win.

Bro shukri,

I feel also that the maruten kohaku may look short for the reason that its nose is too short, with a massive upperbody and a shorter body frame. However, I have seen Dainichi kohaku that were more girthy and breeder still confident that koi can reach jumbo given the right environment.

I still believe though in a small to medium size pond 15 to 40tons, it will be easier to raise jumbo with a bloodline that grows long first then add girth at a later stage. In very large pond where koi gets to exercise more a girthy koi can grow faster and better chance to reach jumbo without problems.
  • KekwaKekwa May 2014
    Bro Shukri,

Just based on first impression when I looked at the broad girth of this tosai and at the angle the picture was taken. If have opportunity to see the real fish, my opinion may be different.
    Nonetheless a stunning looking khk jumbo tosai. Should win more prizes in her days to come. Is it from momotaro?
  • KekwaKekwa May 2014
    This is my Sakai sanke that made me to start this thread.
    Many still think she is a nisai and that I've been taken for a ride. Whatever it is, I've gotten over it and just continue to keep her and see how she develops from here :)
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/15650/IMG_3706.png
    Attachments
    IMG_3706.png 168K
  • ShukriShukri May 2014
    Kekwa,
    Your Momotaro piece is looking nice.........
  • KekwaKekwa May 2014
    Kekwa,
    Your Momotaro piece is looking nice.........

Bro, from Sakai lah....
  • frostbitezfrostbitez May 2014
    Bro frostbitez,
    Nice looking Kohaku there....... nice 3 steps with Maruten. Love the Shiroji. The Kohaku is still young, I like the kata area.....will eventually develop a hump there which will be nice....

Please give an update from time to time..........

thx bro...will update later just right at the end of tosai year

Bro frostbitez, really nice Kohaku (Y)

thx bro

Nice Hi and sharp Kiwa as well. But this khk may remain short and stout.
    So 2nd prize bought at how much xxxxxxyen? :-D

imho
    this kohaku 2nd step sashi is lil bit anoying actually
    and if i may know, why is the kohaku may remain short and stout?
    this photo taken at 8 months age (april)...bought it at 4 month (december) 17cm at 25000 yen aproximately
    already post in front of this thread...will update the other 2 tosai later

This is my Sakai sanke that made me to start this thread.
    Many still think she is a nisai and that I've been taken for a ride. Whatever it is, I've gotten over it and just continue to keep her and see how she develops from here :)
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/15650/IMG_3706.png

good sanke bro
    but the bone at shoulder is lack of girth, will grow long but don't hope to get bulky build
    cmiiw
    Post edited by frostbitez at 2014-05-05 04:35:37 pm
  • ShukriShukri May 2014
    Oops sorry there Bro Kekwa.......
  • HDCuHDCu May 2014
    I dont get the fascination with girthy koi at a young age and then size possibly stalls in length instead of koi that grow faster in length first then possibly not girth? To make a koi girth once its metabolism slows down is easier compared to make a koi with slow metabolism grow.

Many hobbyist here like matsunosuke sankes as compared to Malaysia, singapore, etc.
    Post edited by HDCu at 2014-05-05 05:33:59 pm
  • ShukriShukri May 2014
    That's the beauty of this hobby............different hobbyists prefer different things. That's how the world evolve. If everyone likes a Toyota, then the other brands will vanish with time.

Not everyone likes big kois above 80cm......... Eventhough I like Jumbos, so far I do not have any swimming in my pond.......
  • HDCuHDCu May 2014
    I do not believe there is a big percentage of hobbyist who do not like jumbo. The fact that farms that are consistently able to produce high quality jumbo koi attest to this observation. However if there is a choice of choosing a poor quality jumbo vs a high quality smaller koi, then the smaller higher quality koi wins.

The key IMO in aiming for high quality jumbo gosanke koi without breaking the bank is to forget about koi show and even go with unpopular pattern as long as the signs of jumbohood and high quality longer lasting skin is there.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership