Jumbo Tosai Discussion & Learning
  • wklimwklim June 2015
    Yes bro, I think it helps greatly to have the right dealer/breeder support, while learning a great deal from them and senior hobbyists.
  • wklimwklim June 2015
    Bros, just to share another new accquisition on this thread for future update and learning:

www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/17517/35cm.jpg

This sanke tosai (ake nisai?) is from 2014 breeding season and currently 35cm. I had been eyeing it since arrival last Dec, but my dealer didn't want to release at that time. It took some "arm twisting" for me to finally secure it last weekend ;)

There's some question mark around the secondary hi on the second step, but I think it's worth the risk considering the overall quality looks good to me... I was told it was never fed colour food as well.

Let's see again in a few months time! :)
    Post edited by wklim at 2015-06-09 12:00:04 am
    Attachments
    35cm.jpg 96K
  • KekwaKekwa June 2015
    Great sharing bro wklim.
    So the kuchibeni is from another farm?
  • lautslauts June 2015
    bro wklim,

i have issues with the sanke , which farm ? . 2 things
    a) The 2nd step - sashi and kiwa both seems to have secondary hi . More to come or will it consolidate.
    b) The head looks short due to short distance between eyes and mouth.
    c) Body at shoulder and tail ozutsu looks weak , unlikely to grow big.

Hope i am wrong , pls keep us updated. In your hands may grow like the kohaku (Y)
    and we all learn something.

ts
    Post edited by lauts at 2015-06-10 01:11:54 pm
  • wklimwklim June 2015
    Thanks a lot, Bro Kekwa! :) The kuchibeni is from Murakami koi farm and supposedly from Benkei (36th All Japan GC) lineage.

The story is that Murakami bought Benkei as a small nisai from Sakai FF, then sold her to a famous JP hobbyist and groomed her till crowned GC @ 91cm. Benkei then became a parent koi for Murakami. How do I know? My dealer was apparently invovled, having drove Benkei for 16 hours between the farm and show grounds!
  • wklimwklim June 2015
    Hi Bro TS,

I appreciate your honest thoughts :) This sanke tosai is also from Murakami koi farm.

Believe it or not, these same thoughts crossed my mind earlier when seeing the fish for the first time. But my thoughts shifted upon seeing that it has one of the most promising shape and pattern, compared to other siblings in the batch. No denying that I also place certain trust in my dealer's recommendation.

I hope you are wrong too :D but I really doubt we will see another exceptional example (the kuchibeni really slipped the net.. luckily into my pond!). Frankly, I think it's anybody's guess how the fish itself will develop over time. I will be well pleased if it can show improvement all round and any surprises will be a bonus.

I look forward to more sharing and learning on this example! :)
    Post edited by wklim at 2015-06-10 02:41:59 pm
  • lautslauts June 2015
    Bro wklim,

Now the secret is out , why you wanted the sanke. Looks like i will be wrong on the sanke. So now for you to make it good :-D . We seldom see murakami kois here in Msia i think but the story is fascinating , thanks for sharing .

ts
  • wklimwklim June 2015
    Bro TS, the sanke far from guarantee leh, but yes I'm up for the challenge! No pressure :D

I think Murakami kois are quite interesting in their development and hopefully bros in MY can see more of them. For learning, I for one will be just as interested to see more examples of koi development here. The more the better! :)
  • lautslauts September 2016
    Bumped for discussion and updates :-D

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership