How to quarantine Tiger Barbs/Guppies/Mollies..etc
  • Kenhan10Kenhan10 April 2014
    Hi All,

I would like to ask what's the procedure to quarantine these fishes i.e. Tiger Barbs/Guppies/Mollies..etc before putting in the pond/filter chamber?

Is the process same like quarantining a koi? Can these small fishes stand the type of medication?

Thanks in advance!
  • niveknivek April 2014
    You're planning to add them to your koi pond?
  • ShukriShukri April 2014
    Ken,
    Quarantine the way you want, but may sure the parasites and the bacteria are eradicated before putting them into the koi pond or chambers......
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • Kenhan10Kenhan10 May 2014
    Yes. I plan to put in the filter. Too much midgets!

Can these smaller fishes stand the toe of medication to quarantine a koi? Like s1,pp,salt. Etc?
    Post edited by Kenhan10 at 2014-05-01 12:01:50 pm
  • ShukriShukri May 2014
    Ken,
    How big is your pond? And how big is your filter chambers?
    If Midge flies is your problem, the fastest and the easiest is
    to get a WATER BASED Insecticide spray........... and spray on your
    filter materials and on the surface water in the chambers.....

The midge flies will be taken care off for a week or so, then spray again.
    This is the easiest and fastest way of getting rid of the Midge flies.............

Not many people knows this, hence I am sharing with you...........

FAQ......... will it affect the kois? Heck 'NO.'
    Post edited by Shukri at 2014-05-01 04:08:42 pm
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • puathiantatpuathiantat May 2014
    Bro Shukri , Pls pm actual brand n 'model' for the WATER BASED Insecticide spray u mention :)
  • ShukriShukri May 2014
    Pua,
    It can be Shelltox or Bygon etc........ most importantly have to be WATER BASED....
  • puathiantatpuathiantat May 2014
    noted with thanks
  • Kenhan10Kenhan10 May 2014
    My pond is 10tons. But the filter is probably about 10-15% of the size only.

Won't the water wash off the effect of the spray once you put the filter materials into water?

I've read on here about the insecticide spray and tried just spraying on the surface. The midgets come back within a day or two.

As my pond is indoor, it gets really annoying to have too many of it.

Not advisable to put tiger barbs?
  • ShukriShukri May 2014
    When I used to spray in the filter chambers and on the surface water in the filters, the Midge flies will be under controlled for 7 to 10 days as I remembered it......

The pupae will float to the top and burst into adult flies normally at night....... Spray then for instant success............

You need to spray more frequently in the beginning........... need to destroy the Adult flies, the pupae and the larvae ie the bloodworm........once the cycle is interupted, the flies will be duly check............
  • ShukriShukri May 2014
    Ken,
    I would suggest that you Dimilin your pond, when all of the bloodworms are being taken care off, then use the spray for maintenance...........
  • JSCJSC May 2014
    Hi Kenhan, I have a 10tons ponds too and have been having the Midge Flies problem. To solve my problem, I covered all my filer chamber with mosquito net (Black). My goal is to keep them within the chamber and never fly out. I also use Demilin regularly to control the Flies and parasite problem in my pond. Hope this help!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership