How to get rid of the annoying Midge Flies
  • ShukriShukri May 2014
    Hi all,
    I am revisiting the problems that are affecting all koi ponds in one way or the other. Quite a number of people are wondering where do these flies come from, and how to get rid of them. If you wonder where do they come from? Well, the red colored bloodworm present in your pond and your filters are the larvae of Midge Flies. There are several ways to do it:-

1. Clean your pond and especially the filter chambers thoroughly and regularly. Definitely, this is time consuming and tiring....... as least for me.
    2. Timely application of medication such as Dimilin, parasite killer, Masoten etc that will kill the larvae. But regular usage of these medications are not good for the fishes in the long run. Need to exercise caution and care if this is the approach.
    3. Used a WATER BASED insecticide spray...........to spray the filter materials and the top water in your filter chambers
    4. You can introduce water jets at the water surface of your filter chambers as the disturbance will reduce the egg laying activities by the adult Midge Flies.
    5. Change your traditional filtration to a bead or enclosed filtration system....... being a closed filtration system, the Midge pupae will not have a chance to transform to adult flies............
  • TomyCTomyC May 2014
    How about just aeration. Less invasive.
  • puathiantatpuathiantat May 2014
    Bro Shukri : is Dimilin effective to kill midget flies ? it colonies on my pond filter chamber quite some time d ... it's really trouble me a lot although I wash my filter entirely every two weeks once :O

4. You can introduce water jets at the water surface of your filter chambers as the disturbance will reduce the egg laying activities by the adult Midge Flies.
    Regarding above quote : I've seen those adult flies actually laying their egg @ main pond wall during dawn hour ... especially near the surface which aeration most concentrated ... So wonder add water jets can solve it ?
  • ShukriShukri May 2014
    TomyC,
    If it works for your pond, then it is fine..........
    Post edited by Shukri at 2014-05-01 09:43:14 pm
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • ShukriShukri May 2014
    Pua,
    The water jet works in the case of a fellow friend. Kind of reduce the Midge flies.... works for him.
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • HDCuHDCu May 2014
    I dont have a problem with midge flies as i flush all filters(both mechanical and bio). What I cant seem to get rid of are the small snails.
  • ShukriShukri May 2014
    Very true indeed Bro HDCu,
    Frequent flushing and cleaning will do the trick. Dimilin dont kill the snail? Or salt to 0.7%?
  • HDCuHDCu May 2014
    I have tried dimilin before and there was a reduction in small snail population but after a week it seems they rebound. Salt is not effective. I do not really mind them as they are harmless and I think koi feed on them. Only problem is that these small snails sometimes block the small holes in the bakki shower pipe.
  • ShukriShukri May 2014
    I use to have huge problems with Midge flies........now not anymore since I have converted to Bead filters.........
  • puathiantatpuathiantat May 2014
    WATER BASED insecticide spray (Y)
    Used it twice n see no more midge flies larvae (rock)
  • ShukriShukri May 2014
    (Y) (Y) (Y)
  • HDCuHDCu May 2014
    How is one sure that waterbased pesticide is safe or will have no long term effect on koi considering that some ponds may just have smaller volume of water with lots of midge fly population in their filter while there are many brands and kinds of insecticides.
  • ShukriShukri May 2014
    A few of my kois are still with me ie 8 yrs and 10 years old.........

Dimilin and Masoten are pesticides (also poison)....... these insecticide spray are much milder than these........

To me, a full proof method is still frequent and thorough cleaning of the filter chambers.

• HenryJordanHenryJordan May 2014
    Keep clean your filter box and surrounding of the pond.
    Spray pesticide to get flies away instantly.
  • ShukriShukri May 2014
    Water based Insecticide spray is definitely an alternative solution.........effective and cheap.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership