• hkl84hkl84 May 2014
    I've been to Atari Koi last week to find out more about using carbon filter to remove chlorine. They told me that there is a carbon filter priced RM750 that can be used for 10 years, just need normal backwash. I am wondering if any sifu here does use such system and what's the result.

I am also wondering how a backwash could remove the chlorine bound to the activated carbon inside the system as the water used to backwash the filter also contain chlorine? If the system does work i will install it as i am always terrified by the possibility that i may forgot to turn the water off after water change.
  • ShukriShukri May 2014
    The question is, will the carbon be active for 10 years?
    Anyone from the Chemistry background, answer please..........
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • urbaneffectsurbaneffects May 2014
    Believed it is the filter casing will last for 10 years. Carbon sand need to replace from time to time. May be Atari Koi meant the filter unit itself will last 10 years..
  • brianlawbrianlaw May 2014
    Agreed - normally carbon filter needs to be replaced 6-12 months depending on usage.
  • ShukriShukri May 2014
    Ah huh! That sounded more like it............
    The ones that I know, would have to be replaced every 3 months latest......
    Post edited by Shukri at 2014-05-27 03:51:25 pm
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • JamesJames May 2014
    Nano carbon lasts longer...
  • harryyewharryyew May 2014
    Bro hkl84

I have activated carbon filter installed in a 10 inches diameter by 44inches container in my supply line before the pond. It has been 4 years already.....and cantik cantik. Activated carbon and very effective to remove Chlorine, chloramines and organic matter in the feed water.

Yes.... it will take many years before you need to change. I have previously done the math. I will share how we can estimate it when I found my note on it.

I am not sure what type of carbon filter they are promoting to you selling at RM750? I am a bit doubtful about their claim. Do you have a pic of it? Ask them how many kg of carbon come with it.

Cheers
  • hkl84hkl84 May 2014
    Thanks for your comments. I will try to snap a photos again when i visit them again and ask for more information. Do try to find your note ya bro harryyew. How much is your filter that can last for 4 years?
    Bro hkl84

I will check the cost for you tomorrow.
    It is not expensive if you don't want the automated backwash feature. Actually don't need automated backwash feature.You can manual backwash it once a month if you feed it after your household sand filter system. Our city water is not really that dirty. It is just the cost of the fiber cylindrical tank (I get the 10"dia x 44' tall) and the cost of the activated carbon they use for household water system. Installation pretty simple and straight forward.

Cheers
  • ikankoikauikankoikau May 2014
    I use one of those carbon filter. Its just like normal external long tube filter(approx 4.5ft tall) and full with carbon. You need to test it once a while to ensure no chlorine present. It just that you need to backwash and rinse it often to ensure the colouration of the water stays crystal clear. Price wise, possible at RM750 with the number of filtration available now in the market.

The small active carbon (approx 1 to 1.5ft) will not last long. I used it before. After 5 months, it cant function well and chlorine will be present.
  • MfwleeMfwlee May 2014
    Currently I fill from the mains into a F/G tank, dechlorinate, and then pump into the pond. Double work, and have to wait for the F/G tank to fill up a few times. Would be interested in the sysytem if I can afford it.
    On a related note, dechlorinated water should not be stored for a few days - we actually need the chlorine to keep all the bugs under control if we want to store water for our own use.
    Mike Lee
    The cost for the fiber cylindrical tank (i.e. 1044 type) plus activated carbon plus delivery is around RM1000. If automated backwash type is installed....add RM900 to it. The activated carbon is only half filled as it will expand when it is in contact with the water.

Cheers
  • ShukriShukri May 2014
    Any pictures Harry?
    Thanks.........
    Bro Shukri

www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/15759/IMG_4658.JPG

www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/15760/IMG_9697.JPG
  • ShukriShukri May 2014
    OK, got it Bro Harry............
    And thanks..........
  • hkl84hkl84 June 2014
    just some update on the filter, as mentioned before it costs RM750 including installation. According to atarikoi, the filter can last around 4 years before changing the media again :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership