Water changea nd maintenance
  • hkl84hkl84 May 2014
    I have a 5 tonne pond with 12 kois inside. Today i just found that my water appears cloudy and wonder if it is due to insufficient water change. My current regime is 20 percent water change on monday, wednesday and friday. On saturday and sunday i will add refresh powder and microbe lift. Filter will be washed once on wednesday. Is there anything else i need to do to improve water quality and get clear water??

What are your tricks and regime in keeping good water?
  • MfwleeMfwlee May 2014
    There will be many who will offer you their advice but you need to provide a lot more information. A photograph of your set up, details about your filter, water turnover rate, etc. will help.
    How long has your pond been running, and the results of a recent water test for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, pH, salinity, would also be constructive.
    You have a rigorous water regime in place ! This takes a lot of work. Just wondering about why you need to keep on adding things to the water if it is a mature pond, as well as what you mean by washing the filter ? :) :) :)
    Mike Lee
  • hkl84hkl84 May 2014
    Hi, attached are some photos of my pond. Basically it is rectagular in shape with shallow part (22cm, really shallow) and deeper part (80cm, not actually deep). The pond was built by previous owner, i just inherited it. Personally would rather have a deeper pond to have more fishes but that will be future plan.

The filters are divided into 4 parts, i put brushes in the first chamber (incoming water), second chamber with jap matts, third chamber with jap matts and oyster shell and fourth chamber with 2 pumps. I am using a submisible pump with 120L-320L/minute.

Tested ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, all negative. I am using the pH test kit which is color based, i think pH is around 7-8. Salinity should be 0 as i dont put any salt but i don't have means to test it out though.

All comments and advice are welcome and appreciated.

http://koianswers.com/discussion/download/15749/Screen%20Shot%202014-05-28%20at%209.25.24%20PM.png
    http://koianswers.com/discussion/download/15750/Screen%20Shot%202014-05-28%20at%209.25.14%20PM.png
    http://koianswers.com/discussion/download/15751/Screen%20Shot%202014-05-28%20at%209.25.02%20PM.png
    http://koianswers.com/discussion/download/15752/Screen%20Shot%202014-05-28%20at%209.21.34%20PM.png
    Post edited by Shukri at 2014-05-30 12:42:47 pm
  • TomyCTomyC May 2014
    Water trickle 24/7.
  • hkl84hkl84 May 2014
    I did that too!
  • harryyewharryyew May 2014
    Good evening bro hkl84

I have a look at the pics you have attached. They are small in size. From what I can conclude..... I think basically the cloudy water you are experiencing is due to the present of suspension algae in the water and the suspended solid (they are super fines) that have been carried forward from your filtration chambers.

Check your pump chamber, it should be clear clear. If it is not clear clear.... it means your 1st chamber is not effective and subsequent chambers filtration materials are not clean effectively.

Did you check for phosphate PO4 -3 and Nitrate NO3-. I don't know what type of equipment you are using to test for nitrate but I would say the equipment is off. These two compounds will ultimately be present and built up over time.... unless you have for example some type of plants to take up these compounds...... suspended algae will built up eventually. Changing water regularly (Dilution) is not enough. You need to have UV lights installed to control them.

Now... if you want to get crystal clear water..... you need to have sand filtration system installed. Then it is possible to get 10NTU. You can see the bottom of the pond....clear clear bro.

Cheers
  • hkl84hkl84 May 2014
    I didn't check for phosphate as i don't have the kit. I actually have a UV at the final chamber, my bad for not mentioning it in my previous post.

My pond is using gravity fed, is it possible to use the sand filtration system you mentioned? Do you know any good brand and where i can find them?
    Bro hkl84

Yes... of course you can.... The sand filtration system is just those house water filtration system. The sand grading you can ask them to proportion the mix for you. Now the limitation in using this type house of sand filtration system is that the outlet from the cylindrical is basically fixed at 3/4" and the max flow rate out from it will be like 60 to 70lpm. You need to have a water pump that can generate min 1.5 bar of pressure to compensate the pressure loss in the cylindrical as the water are filtered thru.

I think you should place your UV lights at the pump chamber leh.... what type you pakai? Those koi shop selling I think good for around 4 to 6 months before they loss their efficacy. I think you need minimum two 30W or 40W type.

Cheers
    I just read your message again and indeed you are placing the UV light at the final chamber.

Get an alternative testing kit to test for present of NO3- and PO4 3-.
  • hkl84hkl84 May 2014
    Oop...forgot to answer bro mfwlee questions. For me, what i meant by washing filter is that i will take out the brushes and some of the jap matts for washing. Usually i will leave the oyster shell untouched.

I add in refresh powder and the microbes as it is stated in the usage instruction. Refresh powder should be added in 4 spoons per month, so i split it into 1 spoon weekly. The same goes to the microbe lift pl.
  • MfwleeMfwlee May 2014
    " For me, what i meant by washing filter is that i will take out the brushes and some of the jap matts for washing. Usually i will leave the oyster shell untouched."

The established way is to have a bottom drain in each filter section, and then to open the drains one by one, at the same time agitating the media vigorously. This allows the pond water to flush away the unwanted solids, but still preserving most of the good bacteria in the media. A good wash with untreated tap water will kill all the bacteria that is required for a filter to mature and it will be very difficult to achieve a stable pond. Some people say that this will be like having " New Pond Syndrome " all over again everytime the filter is washed !

In my case, I wash the brushes in the pond water that I discharge when I do my fortnitely top ups, and my filter media gets a good flushing every month, and even then, one section at a time - not all together. The important thing is to preserve the biological action of a mature filter.

I do not know, but could this be the cause of your cloudy water ? Your water parameter measurements ( non detectable ) seem however to point towards everything fuctioning as they should ?
    Mike Lee
  • hkl84hkl84 May 2014
    Yes, i do have bottom drain under each filter chamber. For the washing, i am not using the pond water but use tap water instead. However, i only wash the brushes and the top layer jap matt. The other jap matt are left unwashed as they are usuaully not dirty and i wanna avoid killing the good bacteria.
  • wklimwklim May 2014
    Hi Bro hkI84, I have a very similar pond setup as yours and recently, the cloudiness for me was due to the occassional rain and runoff water from the roof and surrounding flooring. It's the dust, leaf and other "nature products" which gets mixed into the water, which could quickly disturb the clarity of our small pond.

I noticed you have a high wall running the whole pond length and a netting roof? Not sure if the runoff situation applies you.

Other times of cloudiness is when I feed heavily and bits and pieces of uneaten food get trapped and accumulate in the wall and floor algae. When the koi "graze" the algae or when I spray clean the wall during water change, the sediments get stirred up and clouds the water a slightly.

Not sure if you have a surface skimmer, but in my experience, it can help to improve the clarity as the cloudy/dirty layer could sometimes be at the surface only.

Sorry bro, I have no solution, just observations! I'm not overly concerned with slight cloudiness if my koi are still eating, but yes, I prefer clear and good water at all time! :)
  • hkl84hkl84 May 2014
    Bro wklim, thanks for your suggestion. It might really be due to one or more factors you have mentioned. For surface skimmer, i did use it last time but one of my koi foolishly jump into it and got itself trapped and died. I stop using it ever since.

As you mentioned, the cloudiness never affect my koi, at least for now. But i feel jealous la seeing the videos of other sifu being so clear. Hah.
  • wklimwklim May 2014
    Bro, for skimmer cover, can consider a cover with holes, like those cylindrical kitchen knives/utensils holder from Ikea. Or just diy a wrapped around platic mesh to keep adventurous tosai out.

Good luck finding your clear water nirvanna! :)
  • gerrygerry May 2014
    Hi Bro hkl84,

Maybe you can try my close to 4 ton pond setup - 1 sand filter and 1 biological filter (using corals only)

www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/15758/sand-filter.jpg

You can view my updated video of the kois and pond on my thread. :)

Water has NEVER been cloudy.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership