Help, advise needed
  • MikeMike September 2014
    Guys, when I came home from dinner I saw one of my koi is dead. Koi is normal today when I feed in the morning and afternoon.

Did a check on water check :-
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrate 80
    Nitrite 0
    PH 7.3
    TDS 120

No injuries or ulcer on the koi.

One of my Shiro shiroji have turn pinkish.

Anyone could advise what could be reason for this.

Thanks.

www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/16231/1.jpg
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/16232/2.jpg
  • brianlawbrianlaw September 2014
    Looks like bateria attack if shiro turns pink. You need to inject the shiro with antibiotic - if not - sudden death can be a reality.
    Thanks Brian, my bad. I think its gill infection. Will post pic later.
  • urbaneffectsurbaneffects September 2014
    Bro. If Its gill infection, you need to act now! Its a fast killer. Chk gill of the dead fish asap..
    Took 3 of my koi, a huge showa shanshoku, a tancho sanke and my belove hi utshuri.

PP that pond with caution as per Bro Lau advise, today the koi is active as usual and the redness on the shiro is subdue. Gonna PP another round tonite.

What are the normal symtoms of gill infection ?
    Bro Mike

I got hit few months ago. wipe out 1/3 of my pond. Got help from bro Idris and Capt Borman. 1st . Do not use salt. 2nd use Kenkona. It takes 2-3 days to contain the infection. Its a heart break process. But Kenkona works. Feel free to PM if help is needed
    Thanks for the info guys, use PP for three day in a row with 2 10% water change daily just to be sure. Cant tell its contain but from the shiro, thing's is better. Shiro is red on the head and body day 1. 2nd day shiro body is a lil pinkish but head is still reddish. 3rd day, shiro body is normal and head is a lil pinkish. Wife weep seeing em and its heart broken.

Pond is 0% salt.
  • ikankoikauikankoikau September 2014
    Hi Mike,
    So sorry to know about your lost and prob. If it is Bac gill disease, it can spead out very fast. When respiration is affected, you need to make sure a lot of aeration is supplied to help your kois. So far, I have only personally tried Blagdon and Kenkona Koi but Blagdon is too expensive to treat the whole pond. Kenkona Koi works fine for me and some other hobbyist who have had the same problem.

Salt and PP will reduce oxygen level and intake for kois. If you hv PP the pond, make sure a lot of aeration given. Injection will need to put the koi to asleep. By doing this, it will make respiration become worse and the koi might not even wake up.

For the time being, just monitor them. Too much medication is not good. If things dont get better, make at least 25 to 30% water change and apply Kenkona Koi or Bladgon or Mr Koi. I think Mr Koi Medi might works too.

All the best Mike.

IKK
  • brianlawbrianlaw September 2014
    Now I see the pictures. Confirmed gill problem. Act fast accordingly to bro IKK advice.
    Bro Mike

How is the other koi in the pond? They ok? Any medication takes time to do its job. When I had my gill infection, many sleepness nights because it took out one fish at a time. One every few hours. Its a painful experience for me but a great learning lesson.Pls share with us the latest as time goes. Next few days will be critical.
    Post edited by urbaneffects at 2014-09-08 10:06:31 am
  • HDCuHDCu September 2014
    so sorry about your loss. At present I am into my second week of treating my pond with FMG and prazi after I notice more than a week ago a kohaku abnormally raising her more often thereby a possible sign of gill problem. So far, the treatment seems to be working.
    Things is back to normal after I fast em for a week after the PP treatment, at first some koi tend to park but no flashing or gulping. After a few days koi is back to normal swimming pace, start to feed today.
  • lautslauts September 2014
    Good to hear Mike. Go easy on the feeding , consider adding some good bacts product into the pond to help.
    Do keep on eye on the kois. bro HDCU treatment of prazi reminds me of possible gill flukes at work. Flukes could damage the gill leading them to secondary gill infection that you saw.
    Anyhow keep an eye for any flashing ( rubbing) of the head/gill plate areas, not like the normal flashing.
    Hope all is well with them.

ts

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership