Shy/Scared/Spooked Kois?
  • harrywongsyharrywongsy November 2014
    Hi all - I have been a keen reader of this forum and on that note, many thanks for all the tips and advise given by you hard core koi enthusiasts!

I started this hobby 3 months back. I have a fully covered pond measuring 9ft x 9ft x 3.5ft deep with 7 kois, average size about 20cm-30cm.

All was going well initially - water parameters were consistent (PH8.2, temp around 30-31), kois were active & friendly, ate out of my hand too.

Then about a month back, my kois started to behave like they were afraid of me, my shadow at night, my kids, my maid, sound of door closing, etc. When I tried to feed them, they prefer to stay at the bottom of the pond, takes them a while before they venture to the surface to eat before they zoom back down to the bottom of the pond again. Even my once-friendly Chagoi has become shy/scared/spooked.

The low point for me was last week when my smallest koi (about 20cm), a Hi-Utsuri, jumped out of the pond and hurt itself in the process. It did not survive the trauma - my first casualty.

So...I am at a lost now on what's happening to my kois. I have a feeling it might be caused by my latest addition, a yellow Ogon, which is a bit jittery, often it is a bit 'kelam-kabut' in the pond.

I have changed the water (about 30%) since the incident and salt the water to 0.3% with little result. I am now forced to throw pellets into the pond from 5ft away or else the kois won't eat.

What do you guys think should be my next step? Should I invest in a bigger sized Karashigoi, hoping for some calming effect?

Appreciate any advise, thanks in advance.
  • HDCuHDCu November 2014
    Bro Harry

First of all welcome to koianswers.com

First check your other parameters like ammonia, nitrite. At 30-32C with PH 8.2, having some ammonia levels and nitrite levels will cause stress to koi. Stressed koi will loose appetite. Koi jumping out of pond could be a stressed koi as well. What is your filter setup now?
    Thanks for responding bro HDCu. I will check on ammonia & nitrite levels tomorrow morning. My filter setup - 1st chamber: settlement, 2nd & 3rd chambers: J Mat with bags of corals, 4th chamber: UV & pumps.
  • mrkoimrkoi November 2014
    Hi bro,

Can u upload your pond photo ? Got any wild animal living around yoyr place like cats or an eagle ? As they might spooked due to that matters as well.
    Hi Mr Koi, here are the shots of how my pond looks like.

So far still no improvement although the kois are eating normally. Water parameters are fine. They are still jittery. I haven't spotted any visits by cats, etc.

I am still trying to figure out what spooked them.

Appreciate any advise, thanks.
  • niveknivek November 2014
    Hide your duck statues.
  • abunuhaabunuha November 2014
    Nice pond...
  • mrkoimrkoi November 2014
    Hi Bro Harry,

U can try as per bro Kevin said, try to remove the duck. U got an underwater spot light ? That one also might spook your fishes as well.
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar November 2014
    On top of Kevin and MrKoi info:

1) Check water TDS - if high, clean ur filter chambers. Maybe too much sediments. Remember, clear pond does not mean healthy pond. Other water para ?(Ammonia/Nitrite/ nitrate)
    2) stop feeding for few 1 week
    3) feed only twice/thrice a day with only 25% of your normal feeding. This will force the koi to search for food the moment u come nearby

Gud luck
    Cheers :)
    Post edited by Bthineshkumar at 2014-11-25 09:23:37 pm
    Thanks guys for the advise. I have removed the duck statues, so lets see. No underwater spot light, that was reflection from my wall light.

Let me read up on how to check water TDS, thanks bro Bthineshkumar.

• Md+FahamiMd Fahami November 2014
    Nice pond bro... how deep is it?
    Bro Fahami - my pond is 3.5ft deep. Completed about 4 months back.
  • lautslauts November 2014
    Nice pond bro Harry,

As suggested firstly test for water quality. If this ok then consider high bacteria count in water. Is the water cloudier then normal ? If you have UV , has is it already expired? Next would be did you make any changes , added into the pond and surrounding. Eg new airhose or bottom drain can cause temporary jumpiness. This will take few days ( if these thing are immobile) else may take longer. Observe to see anything moves or sound when they go darting around. Some piling/ drilling work nearby ?? Sound travel faster/ better underground. Food is the best thing to calm them so don't be worried to feed them up close. Be careful with your shadow , and light at certain angle can also cause jumpiness . They will get use to it but may take longer. Good luck and keep us informed , surprise us with the conclusion :)
    i once had a small monitor lizard 2ft, hiding in my pond. @-)

ts
    Thanks for responding TS.

The UV light is working fine, as far as I can tell. The water is crystal clear, so I don't think it's bacteria outbreak (but pls correct me if I am wrong).

Tested my pond water this evening, here are the readings -
    Ammonia Test: between 0 - 0.25ppm
    PH: 8.0
    Water Temp: 31C
    TDS: 166ppm

Do you think the TDS is too high? My pond water is salted to 0.3 and once a week, I add in 3 spoons of Microbe-Lift Calcium Montmorillonite Clay (dissolved in a pail before gently pouring it into the pond, usually late at night).

At 31C, is the water temp the problem?

My kois were very jumpy/jittery when I was feeding them an hour ago. I feed them twice a day currently, before & after work. Maybe cut down feeding to once a day?

Read somewhere that jumpy fishes indicate parasite problem. Is this true?

My search for answers continues...
  • niveknivek November 2014
    At 31c you will need to cut down the feeding to once a day. Dissolved oxygen at that high temperature will be very low and your kois will look lethargic. Try finding a way to bring down the temp.

Did you test for ammonia before or after feeding? It should be 0.
    Post edited by nivek at 2014-11-28 10:12:57 pm
    Something not right with TDS reading , at o.3% salt TDS should be much higher logically 300ppm at least with clay too. Feed less but more often better at high temp. Why do you need to salt the pond? This will make things worse by lowering DO, already low at 31c. Except when medicating there is no need to salt, use wrongly will add to stress not destress. If you have parasite you will have flashing .
    Observe and enjoy the pond worry less.

ts
    Thanks for responding guys.

My mistake on the TDS reading...missed out the 10x. I just tested TDS again, it's at 1540ppm.

So, high time for me the clean the filters, yes?
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar November 2014
    @-) @-) That's way high TDS. No wonder the koi jumpy and stressed. Also test your incoming water TDS.

As bro TS mentioned, no need to salt pond very often. But as of now,
    1)maintain 0.3%,
    2) Clean your filters (you'll b surprised of how much of waste in your filters).
    3) Slowly bring down salt to 0%,
    4) if possible, cover your pond with orchid net to bring down the water temp

Once all done, you can start you feeding regime. once a day for a start. Check out the TDS again. If dropped, increase to 2-3 times a day

Gud luck
    Bro TK ,
    You probably have more current experience with new pond syndrome than me :-D even at 6 months some ponds have not got a stable established ecosystem. Hence the off behaviour of inhabitants esp kois. Most will experience green water, hair algae and i think this another symptom.
    One reason for NOT using salt inappropriately is how it is added. Most will add to first mecha filter chamber or direct to main pond . At 0.3% good bact no impact but before it get fully diluted it will raise salinity to very high level in filter chamber. I have wiped out my good bact before and turn the filter white when salt added got to BD and sucked into filter. So be careful when salting.

So bro Harry your new ogon could have started the jumpiness but your subsequent actions perpetuated the issue. Just continue your usual routine and the kois will get use to you. Not you get use to the koi. Happy koi keeping.
    ts
  • Md+FahamiMd Fahami December 2014
    Hi bro harry, mind if I ask how do you chaeck your TDS??

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership