SAKAI KOHAKU
  • ongchaiongchai December 2014
    pls comment
  • niveknivek December 2014
    koianswers.com/discussion/download/16619/2014-12-18 15.08.48.jpg
  • JamesJames December 2014
    Bro Ongchai, I think the forum buddies here will be too kind to make negative comments about these 2 fish. But I find we learn best when we make mistakes and know what are deemed mistakes.

If you are just wanting pond fish and this appeals to you, let no one tell you otherwise. However I feel for you to post onto this forum, you are probably looking for better than pond fish. The beni shine looks decent but the overall fish just lacks appeal.
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar December 2014
    Haha, well said James.
    Bro TK, I go on at this trail of comment, I will b banned very soon :-))
  • HDCuHDCu December 2014
    Bro James,

Kindly expound more on your views with regards to why you think the koi lacks appeal. Is because of the pattern or thats its male perhaps?

I have observed many newer hobbyist put importance in selecting male they go for interesting pattern first. Personally I think skin luster, and evenness of the beni has to be number one in choosing instead given a particular budget. I have see many nice patterned koi both many and almost all cheap female that after a few years skin quality and pattern deteriorate as the koi grow. In a batch of tateshitas, choosing what is female with a good pattern would usually result in poor quality koi when it grows. On the other hand, one can buy a cheap high quality male with or without nice pattern that can last longer.

With regards to above poor quality picture, its very difficult to see overall quality except for the pattern.
    Post edited by HDCu at 2014-12-21 11:22:32 am
    Bro HDCu, IMHO koi pickings are subjective. And budgets are also subjective. 2 kohakus are shown here and if it is a budget restriction, I am suggesting perhaps it will be wise to buy 1 better kohaku.

It is no doubt that better pattern kohaku in a pond of tateshitas are likely bad future kois. However, picking and grooming skill can aid this somewhat. The idea of the discussion again IMHO is to discuss what and how to choose, and not to justify the choice. I don't deny that good kohakus are not easy to come by with smaller budgets.

IMHO, kohaku are a tricky variety. For me a good kohaku is one that looks good now and can grow into something beautiful. Looking good is not just quality, is also about a decent pattern that is evergreen to look at. But again this is totally subjective.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership