Grooming Koi - The Myth
  • JamesJames March 2015
    Keeping koi has constantly been referred to as a troublesome task. For most, kois easily become sick, are sensitive to water changes, develop diseases and outbreaks rampantly and for unknown reasons are healthy one day and dead the next. I think we all have our own experiences to share and some have been more successful in learning through their experiences than others. And some have even simply given up from the cumbersome hobby.

For others, this hobby keeps us constantly on our toes and gets us to do things that we would never do in our routine life. Perhaps this is the true meaning of the hobby. The passion for something that results in us going the extra mile to doing less routine things. And since the forum has been too quiet, let me share my most current challenge/experience in my pond.

ADDITION OF NEW KOIS
    More often than not, adding a new koi turns our pond eco upside down. We resort to QT to reduce this occurence, with some having a meticulous regime in QT. For me, I have always had a simple QT process without much problems. Just a week ago though, I added in 6 new kois from 3 farms, which have been in QT for 2-weeks and the result in my pond was a bacterial outbreak.

Have a look see and let's all share what we would do about this.

• urbaneffectsurbaneffects March 2015
    I would clean filter and add salt immediately. Alternatively, add Kenkona and observe for a few days. I have similar problem constantly especially after heavy feeding regime..

My friend suggest I improve my filtration.

• BthineshkumarBthineshkumar March 2015
    Bro Urbaneffects. If the problem due to heavy feeding regime, then it's ammonia spike. Do not add medication as it will worsen the problem. Add bio like Pond protec and pond plus which will reduce the ammonia.

As for the above case, I will transfer the sick koi to small tank, add in Yellow powder and salt to 0.3% for few hours (sometime up to 1 day). This will reduce the redness at the koi. Once the redness reduce, I will put the koi back to pond and add medication like kenkona if necessary.
    Post edited by Bthineshkumar at 2015-03-27 01:57:14 pm
  • JamesJames March 2015
    Bro Urban, I have a 1.5 ton FGT with 6 kois in it, from 45cm - 75cm. All male and fed 3-5 times a day. The wonder is, filter not washed for 3-4 months everytime and all are healthy. The key to this... water change.

Bro TK, you are already veteran la. And a Kenkona fan.
    :-)) :-)) Easy medication lol
    Bro , Pond Protect & Pond Plus are mainly for aquaculture or shrime culture. Are they both good/effective for our koi pond?
    Both are very effective for koi pond bro. Trust me as I'm been using them. My normal feeding is 4-5 times and sometimes I go crazy to feed up to 7 times. At this point I use them (the one for ammonia remover, sorry can't remember which is which :-)) ). Ammonia would be reduced instanly. Cheers
  • ervinervin March 2015
    hi i am new to this forum. i have had the koi in 15 years . earlier i had discus in 10 yers . my pond is 20 cubic meters . summer of 2014 i was on holiday in poland and bougth 15 pieces koi ( 20 cm ) .after a week was 3 sick of bacterial attacked (they went into a pond 1500 liters ) medications is for me iffy sometimes it works sometimes with worse results. i bougth an sheap ozoneagregat 3 ounce and started running agregated in the small pond . i think i know what caused the outbreak . the transport by road and ferry in 30 hours . to counteract the stress i covered half the pond surface with a disc . after two weeks they were healthy again . do you have problems to understand . i blame google for i can not write in english , with kind regards ervin
    bro. where to get pond protect n pond plus?
  • HDCuHDCu March 2015
    Bro James,

I hope your koi will soon recover. It is my understanding and experience that whenever there is an introduction of new koi, there are always inherent risk of koi, either the old or the new ones getting sick.

Sometimes an introduction of a new koi or several koi in an old pond can create some stress on the new and/or the old koi in the pond. Some koi that have been caught and bagged from the dealers premises and transported to a new pond can be in a weakened state depending on the condition of the koi. This is why quarantine can help relieve stress of a new koi. But even after quarantine, sometimes an entry of a new koi will create some stress levels to some of the old inhabitants. And if the koi is weakened by stress, it can be attacked by opportunistic bacteria or free swimming parasites already in the pond.

So this begs the question whats the point of doing quarantine when there is still a chance of koi getting sick. For one, reducing bacterial and parasitic contamination to almost a harmless minimum will ensure less problems. It is my experience, whenever I buy koi from a trusted dealer I check first if the koi is healthy in not only how it eats but also how it swims. Once I bring it home I treat the koi in small tank with pure oxygen dosed with a safe antibacterial antiparasite treatment for 2 hours. If the quarantined koi is relatively well while being treated, I put the new koi directly in the pond. I then salt the whole pond 0.3% and then add a little elbagin to calm all the koi.

I did notice also that a well aerated pond with temperatures that are not stressful to the koi will have less problems during introduction of a new koi. Feeding food with lots of antioxidants like vitamin C also increases the koi's resistance to fight off problems caused by imbalance in the system like an increase in the population of koi in the pond. I do practice also no feeding for the old koi at least 3 days before and after I introduce a new koi in the pond. For the new koi, I request the dealer not to feed 24 hours before I bring home the koi.

IMO, koi does not really easily get sick just because of water change, develop diseases and outbreaks rampantly and for unknown reasons are healthy one day and dead the next. There is always a reason and it up to hobbyist to learn to identify these and learn from others as well.
  • ervinervin March 2015
    best urbaneffect , unfortunately i do not understand (google) what you mean by pond protects n plus. if your time permits , you may be able to explain in more detail ervin
  • niveknivek March 2015
    30% daily water trickle 24x7x365 days ensures clean water with strong kois.
    Wah lau, 30% daily mati liao :-)) :-))

Bro urbaneffect, not sure where u can get in kl, check out koi shops in tropicana

Cheers
    30% per day water change for me means 3-4 ton of water change. plus domestic household use. total 5 ton a day of water. My water bill will be substantial. Any other effective options??
    30% per day water change for me means 3-4 ton of water change. plus domestic household use. total 5 ton a day of water. My water bill will be substantial.
  • ervinervin March 2015
    hello again, i suspect pond plus is a preparation to keep the water fresh, i use only one kg salt per ton of water . i live in a climate that is extremely hard for koi. a warm winter season get my loi no food in five monts a cold winter no food at 7 months ( happened only once ) mormal winter no food at 6 months, my koi i think are healty . the most koi i had in 15 years. i have frogs who wanted to hibernated in the pond but they died . 5 pieces big as your handrotted under the ice and poisoned the water so three of my koi died. one kilo of salt per ton water keeps the frogs away. i replace all the water once in the summer and once in the fall and kleaning the pond so they have fresh water for the winter.
  • niveknivek March 2015
    Yup 3 to 4 tons a day for me.
  • HDCuHDCu March 2015
    Bro Kevin,

Have you tried just 20% or 10% water change instead of 30%? What is the effect on your koi with less water change?

I normally just change 5 to 10% a day and have really no problems with growth , skin and health of the koi. My stocking ratio now is a little less than 1 large koi for every 2000 liter of water (moderate stocked).
  • kolampkolamp March 2015
    Bro nivek,

Huge water trickle after wc in order to prepare for newcomers make my male fish very2 gatal & my female kigoi kena raped previously :-((
    Pond Plus & Pond Protect. How much you would use to control ammonia in heavy feeding in a 15 ton pond?
  • niveknivek March 2015
    Mine is a bit unique as my water trickle is linked to my misting nozzles so I still need about 30% to power the misting/water trickle. Found dead birds before in my pond and kois weren't affected at all. Could be due to the high water change that diluted everything to make the water non/less toxic.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership