Do you switch off the pond pump every night?
  • rickyricky May 2015
    Guys,
    Would like to know if it is advisable to switch off the pond pump every night, say for 8 hours, and then resume operation in the morning?
    I started doing this recently for 2 reasons:
    1) Mainly cost related
    2) I realized how quiet it is, without the water gushing down, I have a small waterfall pond.

I notice when the pump is switch off, the kois will just hang around at the bottom and not move at all, some kois will still swim around. Is this a problem?
  • niveknivek May 2015
    It is better for the filtration to run 24x7.
  • ray2kray2k May 2015
    Never. 24x7. 4 pumps.
  • lautslauts May 2015
    Good for you , quiet but bad for kois. Just by pass the waterfall using a valve at night.
    For cost , get efficient low head pumps for those without need for high head.

ts
  • ervinervin May 2015
    hello my pond normally between 15-20 celsius throughout the summer , the warmer water less oxygen in the water . suspect you have 25-28 celsius ,, resulting in less oxygen in the water. and it fine-nothing better aeration of the water than waterfalls, hope that you forgives me if i has wrong . if someone has tricks to get the koi to breeding grateful for any ideas ervin
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar May 2015
    Filtration must run for 24/7. If it didn't run, the bacteria will die and bad bacteria would cultivate instantly. Once the pump back on, the bad bacteria would go to pond and effect the kois. Other than that, less oxygen for the pond, and through out bad for kois. At a time when my house has black out, I would sprinkle water to main pond and filters. It would help for max of 2 hours, more than that, it's disaster for kois. Your koi would stressed to max, jump out due to less oxy and so on.
    My suggestion would be, if you running 4 pump, no harm switch off one pump (25%). If you gonna shut down two pump (50%), than compensate with 2 air pump in pond and filter.

Good luck bro :)
  • JamesJames May 2015
    Bro TK. Mature Champion already.
  • rickyricky May 2015
    Thanks for all the replies.
    Maybe i will go buy a powerhead or at least an aerator.
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar May 2015
    :-)) Bro James, all from the bad experience had earlier wo. :)
  • JamesJames May 2015
    Bro TK, some have the experience and nothing comes out of it. Only the passionate ones learn. :-j

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership