New pond - Cement or FGT ? What kind of filter system ?
  • spidyspidy October 2015
    I am planning to relocate my current koi pond (2.35m x 1.97 x 0.85m) to another part of my house.
    The old pond is 0.6m above ground and 0.25m below ground. It has a 4 chamber filtration system

The contractor suggested building a FGT and lower it into the dug out area. His reason is it is safer in case the cement crack. My current pond is cement wall with fiberglass painted over it.

Q1. What are the pro and con of Cement vs FGT ?

The new dimension of the pond is 2.6m x 1.7m x 1.3m (for safety reason it will be 0.3m above ground and 1m deep)

Q2 What type of filtration system shoud I use ? Should I stick to the same 4 chamber system or change to say a pressurise filter system or something else ? Running cost and ease of maintenance is key decision criteria.

Any other suggestion on what to look out for in building a pond will be most welcome.

Thanks
  • cfamilycfamily October 2015
    I think cement pond with fibre glass coating will be ideal for koi pond.

• JamesJames October 2015
    Fibreglass coating is ideal for koi pond to not leak, but I think is not ideal for a good koi pond. Anyone here having good results grooming koi in a fibre glass coated koi pond ? Pls share.
  • niveknivek October 2015
    For that size it will be more economical to get fgt with a bottom drain. However you will need to deal with the noise of kois banging against the fgt when they get spooked unless you build a frame around the fgt.

I am assuming you are leaning more towards landscaping vs competitive "koi'ing" if there is such a word lol, then fgt will do.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership