Introduce new koi
  • hkl84hkl84 March 2016
    Greetings to all sifu. I am having some questions that i hope the experienced community here could help.

It has been 2 years since i last introduced new fishes to my pond. I am planning to buy a new koi but afraid that it will lead to the death of my existing fishes or new fish. Could any sifu here share with me regarding the correct way to introduce new fishes into a stable pond? For your information, i only have a rather small quarantine tank which i am quite reluctant to use as almost every fish that i put in there for overnight ended up dying. Maybe it is just too small. The tank looks like this

http://www.koianswers.com/uploads/FileUpload/0/11460.jpg

Thanks in advance.
  • hkl84hkl84 March 2016
    I just flicked through the old posts regarding quarantine and found something about dealers' 21 days quarantine. Since i dont have proper quarantine facility, will the 21 days quarantine by the dealer be sufficient? is it true that all dealers will quarantine their koi first before selling to the customers?
  • Md+FahamiMd Fahami March 2016
    Hi,
    Personally, I will get the dealer to quarantine around 1 month before I introduce it to my pond. After quarantine by the dealer I just get the water temperature to stabilise and short bath with Kenkona.
    So far so good.
  • lautslauts March 2016
    The QT tank looks good enough for tosai 4- 5 pcs. Maybe 2 nisai at most. And pls pls do QT. You just need to kena kaw kaw one time to wipe out you collection. Collection OK not play play ,and i know seniors give up as result. Never never depend on dealer to QT. Not their fault as they in business to sell kois NOT keep them. You have been LUCKY not to kena , dont count on luck .
    There is a good guide here on QT methodology. Good luck. Hope i scared you guys enough cheers.

ts
  • hkl84hkl84 March 2016
    Bro lauts, thank you for your comment. As my quarantine tank is small and without filter system. What is the proper procedure to avoid the kois dying in the quarantine? Do i need to change water everyday etc?
  • lautslauts March 2016
    Your QT water needs to be almost as good as your pond so filtration is required. Minimal some canister filters would do else daily water change with water from pond. Tap water daily would NOT do, just pump from main pond. You will need to medicate to rid of parasites.

My QT for small tosais is a big measure tank abt 4ft by 2.5ft. I use a powerhead with overhanging filter box plus 1 airpump with 2 huge air dispenser. Water change daily from main pond except when medication. Medicate for parasites and look out for bacterias infection and meds accordingly. Recently 9 tosais including from Yamakoshi GO abt 13 - 20cm cleared this QT regiment and into my main pond . Some were in QT for almost 3 weeks before going to main pond. That was almost 1 week ago and pond is OK. Another few pieces still to come :) Ammo is main problem even if no feeding, besides water change i use SAFE by Seachem. Hope you get some ideas to implement what works for you. Water temp is important too.

ts

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership