Need your help urgently
  • hkl84hkl84 March 2016
    Dear all sifu. I just installed a skimmer for my pond about 3 hours ago. And change about one quarter of water for that. All fishes start to jump now and flash. They will jump for a while and then parking for a while. Is it that they are shocked due to the installation I was doing? I tested water parameters, no chlorine, ammonia not detected, nitrite 10mg per litre, nitrate 0.5 mg per litre.
  • lautslauts March 2016
    New kois added? Why have nitrite? new pond ? More info pls
  • lautslauts March 2016
    Sure you have 10mg / lt nitrite? my kit max at 5 alraedy toxic.
  • lautslauts March 2016
    Water change at 50% and salt to o.2% ASap. Else get some denitrator like SAFE Seachem urgently from reef aquaria.
  • hkl84hkl84 March 2016
    Sorry. I mix up nitrite and nitrate. Nitrite is 0.5, nitrate is 10
  • hkl84hkl84 March 2016
    I just added misaki ap3 anti parasite. So far the fishes stop jumping. Having frequent flashing and mostly parking. Should I put anti bacteria e.g. misaki s2? Kenkona? The pond is not new. I just release some water just now and install a skimmer.
  • lautslauts March 2016
    Why do u think there is parasite ? New kois added and no proper QT ? Let the meds work b4 adding others .
  • hkl84hkl84 March 2016
    The fishes are all fine before I get into the pond and set the skimmer up. I put rocks into the skimmer so it will sink. I am thinking maybe the rocks have some parasites? Can't think of other reason as this happens very fast for the whole pond
  • lautslauts March 2016
    Any new kois added ! ? Where did rock come from , another pond ? Not normal to have nitrite any level
  • hkl84hkl84 March 2016
    added 3 new kois. quarantined for 3 weeks with dealer as i dun have the facility. the new koi were added on tuesday. everything is fine until i do my skimmer project today. the rocks are from my backyard. not from a koi pond. another issue is that when i turn on my pump again. i notice that a lot of fine particles coming into the pond. seems like the sediment in the filter chamber. it makes the pond looks cloudy. but after the filter runs for 30 minutes the water is clear.
  • lautslauts March 2016
    Sounds like parasite, problem within 1 week . No QT done , just kept 3 weeks in another pond. Dealers cant do proper QT to eliminate most parasite / bact. 1 drop of water will contaminate your kois.
    Your skimmer , pump etc just created the stress needed to push the kois over the edge. Tipping point. They are unlikely to be the cause.
    Most important is to observe and Keep Calm . Think twice before any action and read up on all the parasite symptoms to try guess ( KoiVet) which culprit. A microscope would help tremendously . MGF meds like Misaki would do most of time if CORRECT DOSE used. If 1st dose does not help now you need to clear all your filter mats and wash them . Dont replace into pond until treatment completed. Your filters dirt will take away all the strength of the meds.
    2nd dose needed on 3rd day after 50% water change. Check with Atari the correct dose.
    3rd dose , treat on 7th day if kois show improvement else treat on day 5 .

All these treatment depend on the culprit . If trichodina , 1-2 treatment done , if white spot /gill flukes which encyst / lay eggs you go full course, even this may not work. Then the ultimate is to treat them in fiber tank and empty your pond. Kill and clean everything using chlorine and restart biofilter best is Seachem products. Hope we dont come this stage.

Your pond have issues if have nitrite.

Good luck and pls DIY QT next time.

ts

• hkl84hkl84 March 2016
    Thank you for your comment bro lauts. I have added misaki ap3 since the first day I added the new fishes (Tuesday), second treatment added on Thursday as precaution. Friday the fish start to jump and park so I change water and add again. So I am considered at 3rd dose now. If the fishes do not improve should I put the anti parasite every alternate day until they recover? When should I consider other treatment e.g. anti bacteria or salt? The misaki ap3 cannot be used together with salt.
  • lautslauts March 2016
    Bad idea to add Misaki on day 1 this killed the good bac giving you nitrite now. Yes best not salt with Formalin.Nitrite also can cause flashing. Now you need to eliminate this by adding SAFE or others similar product . See if help . Else dose again on day 5 and consider this as 2nd dose. Remove and clean your filter. If your pond is big this will give you major headache. Idea now is give best possible water and see if help else likely parasite then go all out to eliminate them . Observe Observe then act
  • Dr.+KevinDr. Kevin March 2016
    Does you check got any pumps or electrical leaking? It happen to my fishes 5 years ago and finally all dead and left small fish not die which not koi. Double check some leak is unknown by human and only by test pen.
  • lautslauts March 2016
    hkl,

Any updates on the kois ?

ts
  • hkl84hkl84 March 2016
    Hi. Sorry for not updating. I was food poisoned these two days. Being sick together with the kois. I checked the water parameters again and all are good including the nitrite. I visited Atari koo again and they suggested me to use 2 kinds of powder. Not really sure what they are. One of it is white while another one is blue when dissolved in water. Left them for 2 days and they stop parking. But still jumping, flashing and having obvious red veins on shiroji. Now I add salt and put misaki ss2. Will monitor tmr to see the results. At least with them not parking anymore makes me more relieved so far.
  • lautslauts March 2016
    Good to hear things are better with the kois and yourself.

make sure there is a lot of O2 with salt and meds working plus the hot weather now !!

ts

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership