How to identify a female and a male young koi
  • megatronmegatron September 2011
    Lately, we have read many discussions about female and male selection at young koi by Bro Capt, Bro Shukri, Bro Lauts etc... I think that this is an interesting topic to discuss and I decided to start a new thread.

Please feel free to illustrate either your selection is based on pectoral fins, body shapes, vents, beni tone, soft/hard body texture etc.

These are the photos of the male vent or maybe not? "The thing that protrude is only at the center. Off center, the area is kind of indented. If you see clearly, these areas are receding and not expanding. Furthermore, for females there should protrudes a slight elongated thing." said bro Shukri.

• ShukriShukri September 2011
    Can someone care to explain the diagram i.e. drawn by hand in the Vents.pdf. I need to know what to look for etc etc. It will be good knowledge for everyone.
    Post edited by Shukri at 2011-09-28 10:53:36 pm
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
    In drawing both look almost similar, I will trying to find a real picture to show how it is actually look different.
    Don't ask me why!!!
  • PH8PH8 September 2011
    I think the original drawing by Raymond Hiew not like that one leh.
  • DanleeDanlee September 2011
    I also could not find the original drawing by Raymond. If my memory serve me right, here is how a female and male vent shape should look like, according to Raymond Hiew and Felix.

To be frank, I am more confused and unsure about sexing after that day. As I said earlier, the more I know, the more I do not know.. hehe.
  • PH8PH8 September 2011
    Sun and umbrella? :O
  • ashfaqashfaq September 2011
    :-))
    Thanks,
    Ashfaq from India-Chennai
  • PH8PH8 September 2011
    Needs a fair maiden underneath!! :-D
    I am more confused now ..... Hahahahahha.... Will ask Raymond to draw again then post it up !
    Don't ask me why!!!
    Bros & Sis.

I think we can learn a lot if we can share vent pictures of our known male and female. It will even be better if we can share progress pictures of our koi vent (tosai -> nisai -> sex confirmation).

Since I do not have time to take vent pictures of my koi yet, I would like to post here some of the vent pictures I have taken from Koi-Bito and Koiquest for our discussion and learning purposes. What vent characteristic make you think they are male or female? As we go along, hopefully we can confirm the attached vent characteristic list:

Male - elongated or triangular in shape, sunken and concave,

Female - more round in shape, protrude and convex, a more prominent and long transverse ‘slit’ running across, blush of red color around its perimeter

1. Vent 1 (Confirmed female)
    Reason for female?? : more round in shape and a more prominent and long transverse ‘slit’ running across (shown by the red arrow)

2. Vent 2 (Confirmed male)
    Reason for male?? : elongated in shape, sunken and concave

3. Vent 3 (Confirmed male since got milt)
    Reason for male?? : Triangular in shape?? Most people would have sex this koi as female since the vent is a bit protruding and red (I suppose he was heavily fed)

• ikankoikauikankoikau September 2011
    Sun and umbrella!! :-D
    Since I am still not home, i think it will much better if you guys can upload photos of a few CONFIRMED male and female. The more the better for comparison consistency. Looking at the vent alone is very confusing.

On more thing I realize, for the same size kois, beside the smooth pactoral fins, the female pactoral fin's base is thicker. Thick and smooth base is what we are looking for. However some male will show obvious thickness at the leading egde of the pactoral fins. This is my observation. Rough fin in the middle or end of pactoral fins don't count. The roughness on the cheek will be good indication of male koi as he is "gatal" or ich
    and ready for spawning.

Another theory which I dare not confirm is that to monitor the shape if the body right after the gill plate. So far, it has given me good result in term of probability. Regardless of good body male at tossai, the body tends to curve inward or straight. After that, it can either become bulkier(for bulky male) or straight or slimmer for not so good body.

In female however, regardless of how long the body is( but not for really underfed female), it will curve outward just after the gill plate. Then only it either curve in or straight or even outward if the body is bulky. I hope I don't make you guys more confuse with this theory :-D Just my personal observation.
    Post edited by ikankoikau at 2011-09-29 03:16:19 am
    Sun and coconut tree???? hehe
    Post edited by Danlee at 2011-09-29 03:11:28 am
  • ikankoikauikankoikau September 2011
    Great pics bro Daniel.
  • ShukriShukri September 2011
    Hahahahaha, hehehehehe and hohohohoho! for the Suns and Umbrellas :-)) :-D
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
    Bro Daniel Lee,

Your 1st picture the vent is looked like an umbrellas (female) whereby in 2nd pic the vent looked like a sun (male) in your hand drawing if u notice.
    Post edited by megatron at 2011-09-29 06:43:15 am
    Don't ask me why!!!
  • lautslauts September 2011
    Handdrawing more confusing. Why not superimpose the drawing on the picture so that can see which part refers to sun and umbrella.

thanks
    ts
    Bro Lau,

As I said, I am also very confused with the sun and umbrella. Let's wait for Daniel Chew to confirm the final drawings with Raymond.
  • kumarishnakumarishna September 2011
    'Sifu' Daniel, This topic is getting more interesting with the SUN & UMBRELLA.
    More to come and more to learn. =D>
  • lautslauts September 2011
    As teaser, below was taken as tosai/ake nissai shortly after purchase. Now gender already confirmed . Care to guess ??

ts
    Post edited by lauts at 2011-09-29 10:26:25 pm
    Attachments
    asagi.JPG 43K
    Bro Lau,

Where is the picture?
    Brothers,

Sorry guys, I have been busy the whole morning and unable to reply here. While waiting for the clarification on the sun and umbrella shape. This is my analysis to match Daniel Lee's picture and my hand drawing. I hope these combined pictures explained a thousand words and give everyone some thoughts at the moment. The other explanation will be female's vent will be protrude & convex while male's vent will be shaken & concave.

1) Male Vent:

2) Female Vent:

3) Third picture posted by Daniel Lee with triangular shape will be pondan vent.... :-)) It may turnout to be either! (just kidding)

Disclaimer clause: I am still learning.
    Post edited by megatron at 2011-09-29 10:22:00 pm
    Don't ask me why!!!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership