To Keep "sucker" Fish In Koi Pond?
  • khongkhong October 2011
    Hi all,

Is it a good idea to keep 1 or 2 sucker fish (nick name "Bandar Raya fish") in the koi pond to help to clean the algae?

Will it cost any issue to the kois?

Thank you.
  • PH8PH8 October 2011
    Bro Khong, it can help the algae issue only slightly. If you wanna buy, buy the very small bristlenose pleco which will not grow past 7cm. Don't buy those which can grow very big because they will sapu koi food also.
  • WilganWilgan October 2011
    It should be fine as long as the sucker is not too big. Else they might 'attack' the kois if they are hungry. Try not to have too many as they are big shitters. I kept one small red eye albino too which is not as aggressive as the normal black or Leopard sucker. Helps to sweep the floor. :-D
  • JamesJames October 2011
    The last time I introduced this into my pond, all my kois took a flight back to Japan.
  • ashfaqashfaq October 2011
    Brother james,
    You mean all the kois dead? or really moved to japan in mudpond
    Thanks,
    Ashfaq from India-Chennai
  • ShukriShukri October 2011
    Ashfaq, that means all his previous kois kicked the bucket.......
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • ChengAunChengAun October 2011
    Bro Ashfaq :)

If go to mudpond, in Malaysia also can mah!
    Be updated in the world of koi. Jangankan seperti "Koi di bawah bottom drain"
  • ashfaqashfaq October 2011
    Got it Brother Shukri & CA :)
    Thanks,
    Ashfaq from India-Chennai
  • kominatokominato October 2011
    Strange, I have had a suckerfish from young about 5 or 6cm, till it grew to about 14inches , then gave it away. It didnt bother my kois.
  • farikfarik October 2011
    when i first started,I did ask this to a koi dealer and they told me not to saying that it carried some sort of diseases but not sure what....so i didn't put any in my pond.
  • TjChengTjCheng October 2011
    i have 5 suckers in my pond,they are around 30cm...they never attack my kois but they will sapu the fish pellets..
  • ShukriShukri October 2011
    I had a friend that used to put sucker fishes in his koi pond. That was one time that the sucker fish actually sucked out an eye of one of his favorite koi. This is no kidding guys.....absolute truth! Be careful with Bandaraya fishes especially those that graduated from Koi School........ :-))
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • SBSRIDHARSBSRIDHAR October 2011
    I had two sucker fishes in my pond. One day morning a 18" Kohaku with a bright siroji , thick beni and good pattern was not ok it was not swimming and it stays in the bottom of the pond. I was in a hurry to my office When i came in the evening by 6.30 pm the sucker fish was on my top of the sick koi and eating that. The koi was not dead, lot of scales were speared around the place. Koi is alive but it was not able to do anything. My heart was totally stopped, after some time the koi was died. I try to gave some treatments but that all become waste. I was totally upset, If i see any sucker fish i get the bad memory only. Till date i can't i can't come out from the bad memory. Still I am feeling guilty for that. Now also why i am writing this very late, because i don't want to get in to this memory. But i am writing this, people should know. They should not get this kind of accidents.

S.B. Sridhar

Post edited by SBSRIDHAR at 2011-10-06 03:22:09 am
  • ChengAunChengAun October 2011
    I had the exact same experience. Luckily my koi was only a cheap Malaysian koi #:-s
    Be updated in the world of koi. Jangankan seperti "Koi di bawah bottom drain"
  • lautslauts October 2011
    Bros,

During my early fishkeeping days , i had a lot of bandaraya's sucker , one of my favourite as they are so hardy. Nowadays you can see them in rivers along the busy KL city. They are actually scavengers eating anything they can get their mouth on. They have rough scales all over the body looking like a prehistoric armoured fish. If you try to catch the big guys ( they grow to above 60cm) you will get cut by the scales. After reaching certain size they become territorial and will chase way any fish even toman will give way. That's why they can survive with toman (snakeheads), arowanas, gar pikes and all the nasty carnivores fish. They don't eat algae if other food are in abundant.

ts
  • khongkhong October 2011
    Thanks all, Luckily I asked before I put in any sucker fish.

Perhaps like Paul mentioned, if we really want to have the sucker fish in the pond, then we need to llok for those species which doesn't grow big.

Thanks again.
  • PH8PH8 October 2011
    I still have a few bristlenose plecos in my pond. They've been there a couple of years, but are only around 7cm. Even if I wanted to remove them today, I don't think I could unless I drain the entire pond. I still do have thin wall algae (not the stringy type) so I'm not sure the plecos help much. Maybe they're too big already. I remember being told by Brother David to keep replacing them with smaller growing plecos (4cm size) as they tend to get lazy after reaching adulthood (7cm).
  • Denn7Denn7 October 2011
    If you keep them in small ponds or FGTs with koi as I did then you're asking for trouble. These guys swim up quick to gulp for air and in so doing often prick kois and surprise them, causing the kois to dart about and jump. Costlt accidents waiting to happen. If you have a big pond then less of an issue I guess.....

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership