Anyone has any ingenious idea on solid waste management
  • ShukriShukri October 2011
    Before, David Soon came up with a sieve to filter out the solid waste before these hits the Mechanical filter chamber. When I was using them, mine clogs so fast that I need to wash 3 to 4 times a day which is cumbersome for me and I can't commit the time.

Apart from the above, I am still looking at alternative on how to tackle the matter. If I can tackle the solid waste before these hit the chambers, I am sure that I can cut down the amount of time, frequency and the energy needed to clean and wash the filter chambers.

If we want our koi to be huge and big, we need to feed kaw kaw...... And feeding kaw kaw means a lot of fish poo!!! Our kois are living in their own toilet, this is a given fact. Now the question is how to maintain the cleanest toilet? Any ideas guys/gals?
  • lautslauts October 2011
    Bro ,

No need to feed kaw-kaw if your filter cannot take it. If you follow what Bro David wrote, he feeds 12kg per month to 20 big jumbo koi , those you see in picts in Shadow pond. A quick conservative calculation , that's only 0.2% per day!!
    Confused ?? Join the club . ~X(

ts
  • PH8PH8 October 2011
    Bro Lau, I think that Brother David's feedrate cannot be taken out of context, lest people may think that we will have jumbos like his if we just feed 0.2% of body weight. Remember that it is also very important WHAT we feed, and not forgetting the tripod of good genetics and good water in addition to good food. It takes all 3 to get the results he gets.

Recently I tried a new koi food but found that it generates a lot of waste. Which likely means that the absorption rate for the food is not high. My personal observation is that FD Primo Plus turns out the least waste, which means that the absorption rate is very high. I believe that would be the reason why Brother David can feed so little to achieve such impressive results. Expensive per kg yes, but considering the need to feed less, is it really that expensive given the results that can be achieved? I believe it is worth it. After moving around several other food brands over the last 12-18 months, I am moving back to Primo Plus again.
  • lautslauts October 2011
    Yes , i totally agree on the 3 criterias needed. And on the food too hence i have been considering the Dainichi feed currently available in Atari ( now i think all sapu already) . I read all the good reviews in Bito and being cheaper than FD, worth considering. That's why my question to David to establish the amount he feed and hence work out the damage to my pocket :-( . End of day feed less , with quality feed but get same result.

ts
  • PH8PH8 October 2011
    Dainichi food is also manufactured by FD, I believe, but to Dainichi's specifications. I think even if the cost is marginally more, the other obvious benefit is that less waste means lower load on our filter, and likely the water quality will be better, and this would be a good backdrop for better growth. Not only is the food effective, but also highly efficient. This kind of food can be particularly useful for those with small but overstocked ponds.
  • koilvrkoilvr October 2011
    dear bros,

i am one of those hobiest that dream someday can have fishes in my pond with powerful body like those of bro David, at the league i choose to play i should dismiss the dream of pattern and skin, so i concentrate on keeping technique to achieve the desired body volume

i do believe types of food play a part. i feed same amount, but different brand give different result.

i also believe fish appetite matters,
    - when my water is good my fishes seems to have better appetite,
    - i notice when there are leaders in feeding time (karashigoi in my case) appetite of the whole pond is better,
    - i notice female fish to have better appetite in general,
    - i notice in a larger school of fish then they will have better appetite compare to only having a few fishes in the pond

what i'm most curious about is water temperature. does this play a role in developing a really-really powerful body volume? my believe is in a warm water pond, we will not be able to make the fish develop a massive body like those in shows

on the idea of solid waste management, many people around me now talking about sucking water direct from bottom drain to auto-flush sand filter. i think much like the Wakishimizu idea in many japanese hobiest pond presented in Nichirin. in my new pond, my bottom drain has two connection, one smaller pipe to a gravity fed sieve or a sand filter which later can be return direct to the pond, to chiller or to TT tower or to other external filter, the other pipe to traditional mechanical chamber that followed by a traditional bio chamber.

the idea here is to intercept dirt from bottom drain to the main filter line by a powered filter (using gravity from height difference, or using high power pump), hoping that water to the main filter line is cleaner.

my pond is not operational yet and still in finishing stage, so can not make any conclusion now.
  • SRathaSRatha October 2011
    Since my bay filter design is very similar to bro David's, I'll chime what my plans will be. First bay will be filled with brushes, to trap fine particles, instead of putting the DIY sieve before the brushes I will put it behind them but in the first bay. My hope is that the brushes will do most of the work withought clogging and the sieve will hopefully trap the finer particles before the water going through the Japan matts.

Take my word with a grain of salt as I have not tried but plan to do :">
  • weihanweihan October 2011
    Hi bros, I'm currently using laguna external filter to remove solid waste, and the water will then flow through my biological filtering chamber. So far it's still okay and reduce the backache washing filter problem.
    Bro Weihan,
    How big is your pond?
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • weihanweihan October 2011
    Currently using 2 12ton laguna for 5 ton pond, will be using 4 laguna for new 50 ton pond. With extra 30% normal filter. Do you think is okay?
  • cheangvcheangv October 2011
    Sratha

I would suggest you forget about the brushes. If you want extra protection, then consider putting another layer of sieves so you have two or even three sieves and each one can be finer as well to trap the finer particles

The sieves can be easily taken out and washed everyday which means all the waste are actually cleared very quickly from the whole pond system. This is a 5 minute job. With brushes, it will be very tedious if you want to clean them everyday, at most its going to be a weekly maintenance which means all the waste trapped in the brushes are going to remain in your pond for the whole week.

Bro Weihan,
    Please let us know the out come after you have tried with 4 Laguna 12 ton presured filter...
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • SRathaSRatha October 2011
    Bro Cheangv,
    Thanks for the tip, I will definitely look into it :)
  • NeliNeli October 2011
    Bro Koi lvr,
    I see what U say:
    on the idea of solid waste management, many people around me now talking about sucking water direct from bottom drain to auto-flush sand filter. i think much like the Wakishimizu idea in many japanese hobiest pond presented in Nichirin. in my new pond, my bottom drain has two connection, one smaller pipe to a gravity fed sieve or a sand filter which later can be return direct to the pond, to chiller or to TT tower or to other external filter, the other pipe to traditional mechanical chamber that followed by a traditional bio chamber.
    The sucking of water direct from BD is an excellent Idea. It gives no chance for the solids/bacteria/parasites to remain for a long time in the system. There is a new BD developed by Cornell dual type that I think might be a future improvement on BD. IMO!,
    that works on that principle. It actually allows U to separate the larger solids and have them pumped separately and pump the finer solids above the drain or at a pond mid water.
    I would not put a automatic sand filter, on the heavy waste, due to possible clogging and tracking and making the situation worse, unless it is equipped with a blower.
    Google cornell dual type...
  • NeliNeli October 2011
    I would construct a long settlement chamber on the onishi stream flow pond design principle, with sumps at the end, and put airlifts in it on a automatic timer to remove the solids several times a day before it goes to other (what ever) mechanical filtration....Or improvise a cornell dual type BD and have a small sump pump discharge the waste in the bd at regular intervals on a timer... But then I dont know if that will work, and that is one of the questions I wanted to ask.
    Post edited by Neli at 2011-10-22 11:38:47 pm
  • ShukriShukri July 2012
    Hi there,
    With regards to tackling the solid waste management, I believe I have found the answer with the Waterco Multicyclone pre filters which the technology does not use any cartridges or consumables. All it needs is flushing and backwashing (just by the turn of a lever). My pond water clarity has improved tremendously. Now no more solid waste that got recycled back to the pond.......truly a remarkable technology & equipment from Waterco. :-D
    Post edited by Shukri at 2012-07-17 07:31:27 am
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar July 2012
    Bro Shukri,

Very valueable information. Would keep in mind when upgrading pond.
    If you don't mind, please PM the cost bro.
    Bro, are you using any carbon filter? The purpose is to remove chlorine rite?
    Rgds,
    TK
  • ShukriShukri July 2012
    For the cost I will disclose later. Right now I am not using any carbon filter because I do not see a need for one at the moment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership