When is floating poo not good?
  • HDCuHDCu November 2011
    I know some koi poo will float but I would like to know from other sifus here if floating long poo means indigestion or not?

Post edited by HDCu at 2012-02-24 04:26:51 pm
  • %5BDeleted+User%5D[Deleted User] March 2012
    good question but i seldom have that problem.but i seen it..wondering why also...hehe
  • smokersmoker March 2012
    I once read, floating poo means we feed to much or too often. but i hardly remember the details. I also get floating poo sometimes in my pond, want to know the answer too.
    waiting for sifus comments...
  • KekwaKekwa March 2012
    I noticed this after my kois switch to high protein food and I stopped feeding wheatgerm. Don't know related anot?? Hope to hear more from sifus.....
  • ChengAunChengAun March 2012
    Floating poo usually means you are overloading you koi, meaning digestion is bad. Reduce high protein and colour food and feed more wheatgerm to improve digestion. You also may notice yellowish shiroji when the koi has digestion problems.
    Be updated in the world of koi. Jangankan seperti "Koi di bawah bottom drain"
  • KekwaKekwa March 2012
    Oh. Thanks for the valuable feedback bro ChengAun. Guess I was too zealous to bulk up my kois. Will balance back with some wheatgerm
  • HDCuHDCu March 2012
    Bro Kekwa,

I think like in dogs when one switch to a different brand of dog food, the manufacturers recommend a gradual switch to the new brand over as much as five days. I asked the vet about this and they said some dogs need an adjusting period.

I would assume that if a koi gets used to eating a lower protein or vegetable based food to a higher protein or more fish meal, their intestine cannot process the food as they have not adjusted yet.
    Likewise I've noticed if water quality is not ideal or water temperature too hot, there is more likely floating poo.

On the other I did notice also that if the koi or a few koi eat too much and the next meal time is close long poo will come out. However sometimes it floats while sometime it does not. I wonder what's the difference of floating and not floating long poo? Any thoughts?
    Post edited by HDCu at 2012-03-23 09:13:43 pm
    -
    Post edited by [Deleted User] at 2012-03-25 06:54:15 pm
  • HDCuHDCu March 2012
    ."A healthy fish with good digestion will spray powder, like diarrhea, into the water. Very fine."

I think this statement is debatable. Does this statement also mean that small poo is not good? If its very fine powder, whats the point of vortex?
    fine but still poo right?anything either small or big poo will and still settle down in vortex.why leh?you koi poo too big ka? :-D
  • HDCuHDCu March 2012
    Haha. I'm not sure a vortex nor settlement chamber can settle very fine poo that are equal to the buoyancy of water.

I suspect some koi food employ clumping agents in their formulation to cause bigger poo that are much easier to settle in the SC or in the vortex for flushing.
  • ikankoikauikankoikau March 2012
    I believe that floating and jelly type of poo indicates poor digestion(due to sickness, overfed or food) or stomach upset(like human too ;-) ). I think not all kois will release this poo and normally it will not come from the same koi all the time. Try fasting for a day or two. It should helps.
    capitan,

that is so correct...hehe..nothing to worry...
  • wongyengwongyeng March 2012
    @ikankoikau, whenever u find floating poo, do u then do Water change or just scoop up the float poo and stop feeding until koi stablise ?

I read a good advice from one of the sifu here that if u find kois floating at the surface for air than its time to stop feeding, let the filter clear the excess waste resulting in kois swimming normally again... With just a chamber filter in the past, I noticed that such occurrances happen periodically, e.g. floating poo and kois floating on the surface for air, but recently after adding a DIY bakki shower system, I noticed that these issues seem to have resolved !

Perhaps it also boils down to having a good filtration system to sustain the respective quantity of livestock in the pond ?
  • ikankoikauikankoikau March 2012
    Bro Wongyeng,
    Actually very seldom I noticed floating poo. But if there is, I will treat it as stomach upset. How much floating poo will be the consideration. If one or two, I won't border much. Normally it won't continuously happened. If there is, then I will personally stop feeding for a day or two just to arrest this problem. Surely it got something to do with digestion problem. Fasting can solved many problem with digestion.

Koi floating at water surface can indicate a few possibilities. We normally call it gulping air. It could be due to insufficient aeration or internal problem with the koi. If you noticed that the gulping has stopped after installing Bakki shower, chances are your pond was lack of aeration previously. Bakki shower will promote better aeration and will lower down the water temp. With lower water temp, the saturated DO will be higher and the water will have better O2.

Gulping air due to lack of O2 will be more obvious early in the morning(3-6am). This is where the photosynthesis is reversed. Algae or plant will release CO2 instead of O2. So if you notice that many of your kois are gulping for air early in the morning, I suggest that you add more aeration. Add blower(or install Bakki shower) will certainly helps.

Regards
    Post edited by ikankoikau at 2012-03-26 04:24:17 am
  • wongyengwongyeng March 2012
    Bro ikankoikau, i agree with your analysis and after installing the mini-bakki, has made the fish in my pond much happier ! Now I know why some pple swear by the bakki system :D

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

test