Pond wall finishes
  • Longhouse1Longhouse1 January 2014
    Recently my pond is under construction.
    I plan to have just normal cement plaster finishes and not tiles finishes.
    Now the question is can I paint the wall to black and what painting should I use? Hope all sifu here can suggest brand or code for the painting. Because I worry normal paint might influence the water

Thanks. Regard.
  • idrisidris January 2014
    i dont remember what brand or code..but it is water based painting...u can go to hardware shop and tell them it is for pond wall painting application..they able to advice u...
    So normal hardware shop will know about it? Thanks a lot
  • ckleecklee January 2014
    more important is the shop is selling paint and ask for epoxy paint.
    Ya. Bro ck lee. I am worry some big hardware shop. The worker there is know nothing but they act like they know and simply suggest a brand or code and give to me. Because I really not good in this. That why I think is better to have brand and code.

Thanks, but I will try to ask in detail when I go. Hehe
    if not mistaken, they got some for difference material..
    y hv to paint??
    Bro ckleee

Because I want it look black and contrast with the future koi color and when it's is black u won't saw the dirt easily.
    Not sure this is the correct way or not. Correct me if I am wrong. Thanks

I paint my pond wall also..yes correct its epoxy...after u done everything make sure u run the pond whole week with vinegar...
  • MfwleeMfwlee January 2014
    You do not need to paint - in a few months the sides and bottom of the pond will turn very dark green / black anyway. :)
    Mike Lee
    If ur pond is fully open to the sun, then u can wait few month for it to turn dark because of algae..but if u feel u want to expedite this process then paint it. After all its only cost u few hundred ringgit...
  • HDCuHDCu January 2014
    I do think there are three benefits of painting:
    1. Color(black or green which affects color intensity of the koi)
    2. Additional waterproofing
    3. To make the pond wall surface inert and stop from increasing PH.

All three reason I believe is worth painting it.

Btw, epoxy primer of two coats should be applied first before any epoxy color is applied IMO.
  • brianlawbrianlaw January 2014
    If budget allowed - paint it with fiber glass and you will never have leaking problem for the next 2 generation :)
  • pandaipandai January 2014
    Does the fiberglass paint/coating comes in choice of colours as well?
    Get Kenkona Koi and Kenkona Bio at special price online at http://kenkonakoi.blogspot.com/
  • brianlawbrianlaw January 2014
    Yes - the popular ones are blue or black. But it can be quite costly.
    Agree wit Brian.
    For fiberglass the contractor hv to mix for u.
    Thn for the epoxy coating,the hard wave shp hv to mixin for u too..
  • abunuhaabunuha January 2014
    Bro @idris : how many vinegar we should put after painting the pond wall?
    Post edited by abunuha at 2014-01-17 11:19:59 am
  • HDCuHDCu January 2014
    I do not see the logic of putting vinegar after it has been painted epoxy.

IMO, after the epoxy paint has been dried. Using foam and detergent, just clean it and remove smell. Do remember to remove all trace of detergent.
    Hdcu, if u read back on this post, our friend just completed cement...so vinegar is required
  • HDCuHDCu January 2014
    Bro Idris,

Cement should be allowed to dry and mature for 28 days and not be acid etched before painting so as not to cause future delamination of the paint.
    My pond after complete cement..the next day water proof...the next day paint...after 1 week fill up water and vinegar to lower down ph...good until now after 2 years but hopefully stay like this..hehe
  • HDCuHDCu January 2014
    Bro idris,

If the pond has been sealed with an inert epoxy already, why would there be increase in ph that requires to use vinegar?
    Bro hdcu..not all pond covered woth epoxy...for example my pond only paint at main area..filter chamber as it is..
    Anyway..rather than debating whether need to use vinegar or not, the best way is to fill up water, run it and check the ph...if it within acceptable range then go ahead..of its high, you know what to do...our sharing mainly on our past experience and info sharing for brothers who need it as a guide line not rules to follow..hehe...
  • HDCuHDCu January 2014
    I do find in my pond while the epoxy primer has a very good bond on the concrete. The black epoxy color has a weaker bond on the surface of the primer. In my settlement area where i blast it everyday with high pressure water, some of the black topcoat on the bottom of the settlement peels off. I do suspect the epoxy primer creates a slippery surface that lessens the bond of the topcoat.
    Ya thats true brother..thats why I did not paint inside filter chamber..

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

test